PDA

View Full Version : IMO, why the Losman trade made sense...

BillsMan80
04-25-2004, 01:32 PM
It is clear what the motive was in trading up to get J.P. Losman. Losman and Roethlisberger were the 2 most athletically gifted QBs in this draft, and with Clements and Wyche, we should be able to mold him into a star QB. Plus, I think the motive behind it, was explained by Mel Kiper today during the ESPN segment, when they talked about the QB's, Mel said that they made the move this year, rather than waiting till next year, and he said that next year's QB class is very questionable with Walter from ASU and Orlovsky from Connecticut as the top QBs. I'll take my chances with Losman.

Bill Brasky
04-25-2004, 01:34 PM
It made sense cuz we need a QB and he was the best one on the board when we picked.

shelby
04-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
It made sense cuz we need a QB and he was the best one on the board when we picked.

Exactly.:beers:

B-DON
04-25-2004, 01:39 PM
plus he gets an extra year to sit and learn as a a qb next year would take alot longer if we had to wait for him to sit and learn next year, thus taking the qb of the future process that much longer

BillsMan80
04-25-2004, 01:40 PM
That is what I was saying, and what I was adding was that if we waited, the best QB's next year are Andrew Walter from ASU and Dan Orlovsky from Connecticut, and Losman is superior to both in ability and potential.

Gunzlingr
04-25-2004, 01:41 PM
I was pissed when I heard Pitt took Big Ben, and then Minn took Udezi. However like TD said there was a run on offensive players, and their strategy had to change. I think that where things fell, we did very well. We shall see what happens, but I can definitely see things positively.

HenryRules
04-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Judging the talent of next year's draft now is really, really difficult. A lot can change in a single year, so I think saying that next year is weak in one area vs. another is pretty tough.

Obviously they think highly of Losman and think he's special. That was the main consideration IMO. I don't think they really considered the talent avail. in next year's draft.

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with you on that one Henry (shocked?). Picking Losman this year, as far as I can tell, is definitely an investment in the future as well as a measure of certainty versus the uncertainty of waiting until next year to address the QB issue. "A bird in the hand..." you might say.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I have to agree with you on that one Henry (shocked?). Picking Losman this year, as far as I can tell, is definitely an investment in the future as well as a measure of certainty versus the uncertainty of waiting until next year to address the QB issue. "A bird in the hand..." you might say.

Let's just hope that bird doesn't take a big watery dump in that hand. ;)

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Let's just hope that bird doesn't take a big watery dump in that hand. ;)

That's why they play the games!

TigerJ
04-25-2004, 06:36 PM
I thinnk Losman is going to be OK. I know one draftnik, Drew Broyhart of the Huddle Report really trashed him in his summary, but he sounds like he's got his head screwed on OK judging from his post draft comments. Specifically, it sound's like he is going to be willing to listen to coaches and put in his dues and doesn't expect the Bills simply to crown him the new starter. The Bills reasoning is sound. In essence they used next years first to draft the QB they expect to be ready to contribute next year. They gave up quite a bit, but I really think that they expect Travis Henry will be ready to move on next year and are hoping to recoup the pick in a trade.