PDA

View Full Version : Why Andersen?

BlueFire
04-25-2004, 01:58 PM
For everyone questioning why we need another DT on this roster, this pick makes complete sense to me.

a.) Adams and Williams are both old and nearing end of contracts, and while the backups we have provide good depth, none of them are good enough to develop into starters.

b.) The other 3 reasons: Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin. We need a DT to spell Adams and Williams who can step in and stop these guys.

True, there were more immediate needs on OL, as some old sayings go: but defense wins championships, and you can ever have enough d-lineman.

I think the pick was smart, and if we can't stop Dillon, Williams, and Martin while Williams and Adams are out of the game, we will have a hard time winning this year. I think Andersen will have an immediate impact and should provide this type of play.

Bert102176
04-25-2004, 04:32 PM
he's gonna be switched to DE

Jan Reimers
04-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
he's gonna be switched to DE

Not fast enough.

JefftheBillsfan
04-25-2004, 07:37 PM
I just hope this doesn't mean that Ron Edwards is our next Philip Crosby, flashes potential, then we get rid of him.

elltrain22
04-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Maybe the Bills plan to rotate DT's alot more this year to make the Bills dee a way better run defense. P Williams, Adams, Gibson, and Rook Tim Anderson is a pretty good group, and can hopefully create havock in 2004.

BuffaloRanger
04-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Would you have rather had the premier DT in the draft and the 8th best WR

or

the 4th best WR and 8th best DT?

mypoorfriendme
04-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

or

i think we shuold have gotten harris too, but there really wasnt that much we were missing out on by the time we got anderson. i would have LOVED bernard berrian, but lee evans would have probably been the second reciever if it werent for his knee injury.

mypoorfriendme
04-26-2004, 01:44 AM
and in all fairness, TD an co. cant predict the draft and has no clue who is going to be available the next time they pick. what id love to see is what TD's board looked like and just how he really does feel about this draft.

for all we know, he could be thinking "wow, we (as in I) got screwed this draft"

Demon
04-26-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by BlueFire
For everyone questioning why we need another DT on this roster, this pick makes complete sense to me.

a.) Adams and Williams are both old and nearing end of contracts, and while the backups we have provide good depth, none of them are good enough to develop into starters.

b.) The other 3 reasons: Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin. We need a DT to spell Adams and Williams who can step in and stop these guys.

True, there were more immediate needs on OL, as some old sayings go: but defense wins championships, and you can ever have enough d-lineman.

I think the pick was smart, and if we can't stop Dillon, Williams, and Martin while Williams and Adams are out of the game, we will have a hard time winning this year. I think Andersen will have an immediate impact and should provide this type of play.

In theory you are correct.

But does he have the skills to play against the NE OL and stop Corey Dillon? And what makes him an upgrade over Justin Bannan or Ron Edwards?

B-DON
04-26-2004, 02:17 AM
bannan is history and edwards will be lucky to be around. he hasnt done a thing yet

The_Philster
04-26-2004, 04:59 AM
Edwards hasn't been that bad. Sure he's no Williams or Adams, but he's still been productive.

casdhf
04-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
I just hope this doesn't mean that Ron Edwards is our next Philip Crosby, flashes potential, then we get rid of him.

The difference is that ron has "flashed" for like 4 years.

JefftheBillsfan
04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
I disagree casdhf. I think after the year he started (poorly IMO), he has improved each year after. I thought he came in and did almost as well as Sam did last year in relief. Maybe thats just me though. I say, keep Sam/Pat to start, then Edwards/Anderson for the rotation. You gotta figure that we might go into 2005 with only 1 of the 2 starters, so we could let edwards/anderson battle it out to start, then you should still have decent depth @ 3?

The Spaz
04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
All I know is Sape gets cut or finds time on the practice squad.

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
To all of you founts of football information, I have a question.

Just for the heck of it, who are considered the top five premiere defensive tackles in the game today, and where were they drafted?

Dozerdog
04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

or

I'd rather have the fastest WR in the draft to help the 30th ranked Offense and the 8th best DT to help the 2nd ranked Defense in the NFL.

You can't fall into the trap of comparing Evans to the other receivers, or Wilfork/Udeze?Harris to the rest of the class as well. What were these players ratings vs other WRs or DT'/DEs in previous drafts?

If Evans was rated higher, yopu take Evans.

mysticsoto
04-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I agree with taking Anderson! Ron Edwards has done absolutely nothing and will not amount to anything. Get a young guy to mold and absorb from Pat and Sam now and hopefully, he can fill in their shoes shortly. He seems to have the mentality of not giving up and being a hard worker - good choice!