PDA

View Full Version : highly ranked TEs go undrafted

Philly Zoner
04-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Does Jason Peters smell bad? seriously, I'm kinda surprised that he got no love. maybe that Wonderlic score says something about how he did in interviews. seemed like a multi-dimensional pick

also, Ben Utecht looks like a FA as well, and he was rated pretty highly going in.

was there something we didn't know about these guys?

thoughts?

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 03:23 PM
I know we could really get some undrafted gems!:up:

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 03:26 PM
a ton of FBs went undrafted too.. travis wilson was the top fullback rated on TSN.com...

The_Philster
04-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I know we could really get some undrafted gems!:up:

I was thinking the same thing :hi5:

matt
04-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Maybe people who actually saw them play and actually scouted them think they are trash, maybe they didnt read your fish wrap and mad decisions based on first hand knowledge.

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by matt
Maybe people who actually saw them play and actually scouted them think they are trash, maybe they didnt read your fish wrap and mad decisions based on first hand knowledge.

Did you? WTF is a fish wrap?

Philly Zoner
04-25-2004, 03:35 PM

Did you? WTF is a fish wrap?

is that like a fish taco? how do you read one of those?

Philly Zoner
04-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by matt

anyway, I didn't rank them highly, the people with first hand knowledge did.

mypoorfriendme
04-25-2004, 04:00 PM
hopefully well see some signed very shortly

TedMock
04-25-2004, 04:01 PM
It just proves that we can watch a kid play and do internet research all day but we don't have the same info on these guys as the professionals. Sure they miss on some but overall they're pretty good. I'm still going to be an arm chair quarterback but I know that I don't have any authority on these guys when comparing myself to NFL GM's. Some people really do believe that they know more than the GM's. That's what's really scary.

mypoorfriendme
04-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
It just proves that we can watch a kid play and do internet research all day but we don't have the same info on these guys as the professionals. Sure they miss on some but overall they're pretty good. I'm still going to be an arm chair quarterback but I know that I don't have any authority on these guys when comparing myself to NFL GM's. Some people really do believe that they know more than the GM's. That's what's really scary.

(SSHHHH!!!)

HenryRules
04-25-2004, 04:27 PM
I think if our front office thought anything of those guys, they'd have drafted them in the 7th.

This years free agents are no better than those in other years.

STAMPY
04-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Ben Utect should have been drafted over the guy we drafted, i was surprised

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
Ben Utect should have been drafted over the guy we drafted, i was surprised

If TD thought so he would have drafted him. Also TE Jason Peters and FB Travis Wilson are still available!:up::beers:

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Philly Zoner
Does Jason Peters smell bad? seriously, I'm kinda surprised that he got no love. maybe that Wonderlic score says something about how he did in interviews. seemed like a multi-dimensional pick

also, Ben Utecht looks like a FA as well, and he was rated pretty highly going in.

was there something we didn't know about these guys?

thoughts?

Other than his mamoth size, I am not so sure what made him so special. I had an opportunity to listen to 4 or 5 different sports shows regarding the draft on the radio and he Satelite radio on the way home. ESPN's, Sirius had a great one with Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt, Fox Sports, and a couple others- most were not impressed and thought that he would be drafted with the sole purpose of converting him to a tackle.

ryjam282
04-25-2004, 04:40 PM
I think for sure that TD will address the FB position with some of these guys who didn't get picked. Wilson would be ideal, I would love it if we could get Peters in here as well. I think they both could make the team. We will see what happens in the future.

STAMPY
04-25-2004, 04:57 PM
If TD thought so he would have drafted him. Also TE Jason Peters and FB Travis Wilson are still available!:up::beers:

You like using this line often

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
You like using this line often

Because it's true we are not GM's!:up:

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2004, 05:23 PM
I think it's just by the second day and 7th round, everyone was so tired of the whole ordeal so they just said "screw it" and ramdomly grabbed whichever named they pointed to on the paper.

That's my theory. :up:

Bert102176
04-25-2004, 05:29 PM
would be great if we could sign both Wilson and Utecht or Peters

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
would be great if we could sign both Wilson and Utecht or Peters

Agreed!:up:

TigerJ
04-25-2004, 07:58 PM
It happens every year. Players the draftniks like drop, sometimes all the way out of the draft and into free agency. There will be a stiff competition among all the teams now to lock up the best undrafted free agents. Hopefully, Buffalo will get their share. All undrafted rookies all get essentially the same minimum contract since they have no negotiating leverage, but when it comes to fulbacks Buffalo can at least say, "We've got an opening, and you'll have a better chance to play than with most other teams."

elltrain22
04-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Ben Utetch really surprises me, I hope we pick him up...

mypoorfriendme
04-25-2004, 08:18 PM
when will the undrafted FA's start to sign?

HenryRules
04-25-2004, 08:18 PM
now

HenryRules
04-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
It happens every year. Players the draftniks like drop, sometimes all the way out of the draft and into free agency. There will be a stiff competition among all the teams now to lock up the best undrafted free agents. Hopefully, Buffalo will get their share. All undrafted rookies all get essentially the same minimum contract since they have no negotiating leverage, but when it comes to fulbacks Buffalo can at least say, "We've got an opening, and you'll have a better chance to play than with most other teams."

Actually, UFA's often get more than 7th round picks. They have a lot more bargaining power than late picks. A UFA can say, thanks Buffalo, but I like the situation in Minnie better. Buffalo's only alternative in that case is to up their offer. It's not like they make millions or anything, but they normally do better than 7th rounders.

Meathead
04-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I think it's just by the second day and 7th round, everyone was so tired of the whole ordeal so they just said "screw it" and ramdomly grabbed whichever named they pointed to on the paper.

That's my theory. :up:
You are cordially invited to participate in Meathead's live draft Thursday, August 19 ...