PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 grade an A, Day 2 Grade a ???

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 05:03 PM
OK- -
Just got back home.

I thought TD's moves on Day 1 were fantastic. We have the future replacements for 2 of our most expensive players on the roster.

I'll put my faith in Mularkey, a former TE and TE coach in the Euhus pick. But There were a lot of great picks available in the 7th round- OT's Carlos Joseph, Tony Pape, Shane Olivea, ...OG Shannon Snell, Tyson Clabo, Adrien Clarke, ...Centers AJ Ricker, Scott Wells...all of which were better than another WR we won't use and Montana's best Div 1-AA player.

Granted- something must be wrong with some of these prospects as a lot of higher ranked OL men fell and weren't drafted at all. So if all 32 teams passed that tells ya something. But the guys we picked in the 7th were a bit of a joke. Free agents at best! I don't even see them as contributors on special teams!

TD better get hopping tonight- Snell, Ricker, & Clabo are all now Free agents that definately warrent a look -see.

B-DON
04-25-2004, 05:06 PM
i hope we bring in snell and did everage get picked if not him too

Bert102176
04-25-2004, 05:08 PM
day 1 a A, day 2 a C-

BillsMan80
04-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Day 2, I like what I see about Euhus and Smith(Production). Don't know much about McFarland, but will wait and see. Job well done on Day 1 though.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I don't believe FB Travis Wilson has been drafted, Donahoe should take a look at him. I think he is the #2 FB in the draft.

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Pape was drafted by the fish 7th rd.

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Pape was drafted by the fish 7th rd.

AFTER we blew our 7th rounders!

HenryRules
04-25-2004, 05:27 PM
day 1 i say a c.

i don't think you can really give day 2 grades as its mostly a crapshoot.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2004, 05:29 PM
This draft sucked. I give it a big F.

Why draft Evans(4th WR taken and the shortest) when the Bills could have had the #1 DE on the board? DE was/is a bigger need.

Then Donahoe gives Dallas(Lossman) almost as much if not more then the Giants did to the Chargers for Manning. Depending on where the Bills finish this year. Quite possibly it will be in the top ten for next years draft unlike the Giants.

Not to mention that there was a good chance that Lossman would have been there for the Bills in the 2nd round without giving away anything. G.B. was not going to pick Lossman.

3-13,8-8,6-10 should be a ticket out of Buffalo for Donahoe.

mypoorfriendme
04-25-2004, 05:30 PM
i hope we can get some OL help and maybe another FB or K during the UFA period...how long til we sign one?

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy

Why draft Evans(4th WR taken and the shortest) when the Bills could have had the #1 DE on the board? DE was/is a bigger need.

Then Donahoe gives Dallas(Lossman) almost as much if not more then the Giants did to the Chargers for Manning. Depending on where the Bills finish this year. Quite possibly it will be in the top ten for next years draft unlike the Giants.

Not to mention that there was a good chance that Lossman would have been there for the Bills in the 2nd round without giving away anything. G.B. was not going to pick Lossman.

Our Defense was #2 in the league. Our Offense was 31st. You tell me the need?

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 05:36 PM

You don't know that for sure. Farve is getting old. If another team picked Lossman, where would that leave us? Not picking Losman would've been a very huge risk. For someone who dislikes Drew , you should be happy that we have his replacement next year.

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Losman was Looooong Gone - nebver would have made it out of the first. St Louis and Green Bay were salivating over this guy

TacklingDummy
04-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

The Defense had no consisten pass rush all year and ranked 32nd in the league in takeaways, while Moulds played hurt the majority of the year and Bledsoe sucked.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 05:43 PM

I do agree that this was one of the worst drafts in recent memory unless Losman proves to be an elite QB. Trading a 2, 5 and a 1 for him was a huge risk and one that IMO we should only have taken to get Ben. Otherwise I would have used the picks for other needs, e.g., DE and C, and saved that #1 for another deal.

Although...I have to admit I'm a *little* less pissed about Evans after doing a some more research on him and also seeing some clips. He may not have the size, but he is very fast, has good hands, makes the catches and runs good routes. My only real concern is the durability. *If* he can take the pounding, I think he'll be worth it. Ok, maybe not #13 worthy, but definitely a guy who could be a pro bowler on the team for the future.

And I agree on TD. If we don't go above 500 this year he should definitely get the boot. 4 non-winning seasons is quite enough.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2004, 05:45 PM
For someone who dislikes Drew , you should be happy that we have his replacement next year.

Donahoe's creditabilty with picking QB is not that impressive. Unless you consider Bledsoe,Rob Johnson, Neil O'Donnel, Kordell Stewart good.

The draft is like poker and Donahoe got out bluffed by GB/Rams with giving Dallas a Hershel Walker type trade.

Favre will play at least 3-4 more years and the Rams wouldnt be signing Bulgar to a extention if they were gonna draft a QB that high in the draft.

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Donahoe's creditabilty with picking QB is not that impressive. Unless you consider Bledsoe,Rob Johnson, Neil O'Donnel, Kordell Stewart good.

The draft is like poker and Donahoe got out bluffed by GB/Rams with giving Dallas a Hershel Walker type trade.

Favre will play at least 3-4 more years and the Rams wouldnt be signing Bulgar to a extention if they were gonna draft a QB that high in the draft.

Can I have the lotto #'s too please:bling:

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 05:49 PM

The Defense had no consisten pass rush all year and ranked 32nd in the league in takeaways, while Moulds played hurt the majority of the year and Bledsoe sucked. Maybe our coaches think that Kelsay is ready. Couldn't you at least give the DC of the 2nd rated D a benefit of the doubt? Kelsay was ranked a ist rd. pick. He may have not been rated higer than W. Smith or Udeze but if he was picked by the bills in a late 2nd this year, that would've addressed the DE issue. Thing is we already had him last year and now he's got a year under his belt.

Only time will tell if Udeze or Smith could make and impact such as Peppers in their rookie year. If you want an instant impact at the DE you do it via the FA than pick a rookie and wait for another year.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Maybe our coaches think that Kelsay is ready. Couldn't you at least give the DC of the 2nd rated D a benefit of the doubt? Kelsay was ranked a ist rd. pick. He may have not been rated higer than W. Smith or Udeze but if he was picked by the bills in a late 2nd this year, that would've addressed the DE issue. Thing is we already had him last year and now he's got a year under his belt.

Only time will tell if Udeze or Smith could make and impact such as Peppers in their rookie year. If you want an instant impact at the DE you do it via the FA than pick a rookie and wait for another year.

I hope Kelsay is ready.

I can not survive another year of Denney.

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 05:53 PM

Rob was Wades and Buttler boy. Not TD's.

RedEyE
04-25-2004, 05:58 PM
I'd say day 1 = C / Day 2 = C

Day 1:

Evans at 13th overall is a reach, at best. Although his speed is something to raise an eyebrow to, his height reanchors it into position. With Wilfork, Harris, Udeze and Will Smith still on the board? Grade = D

Losman.....hard to really judge at this time. I'd say after Buffalo failed to meet the requirements to pull in Rothelisberger, they really didn't have a choice but to gamble and give away the farm for Losman. The Pack would have grabbed him 25th overall. I just hope this kid can put his money where his mouth is. Grade = C

Anderson....I like this kids style of play. He was the real leader on the Ohio DL. I think he could become one of the best in the league mentoring beneath Adams and Phat Pat. He's griity, a leader, speedy, and hsd DE experience as well (though he is a weight will keep him from pulling to the outside). He reminds me of Warren Sapp without an ego. Granted there seem to be better picks for DT when the Bills pulled him, but I think he'll prove to us why he should be in Buffalo. Grade = B

Day 2:

Tim Euhus.....better talent went in early rounds, but Euhus should suffice. Bottom line, the Bills filled a hole and won't pay much to keep him around. Grade = A

MacFarland OT......Dylan is a big boy that the Bills will try and mold at Guard. I like the choice of position, I'm just not sure about the choice of player. Only time will tell. Grade = C

Jonathan Smith.....Obviously a special teams pick up. This kid is multi-talented and a pure breed athelete. Having played both WR and RB I could see Smith returning for Buffalo this preseason attempting to fortify a postion on the roster. However, wasted pick by Buffalo IMO. He would have been available as a FA because I was pretty certain that he would have gone undrafted. I would liked Buffalo to have grabbed another O lineman with this pick. The amount O lineman left in the 7th round was sick. Oh well, the Bills sense something special in this kid. Grade D.

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 06:01 PM
When people start *****ing about positions we didn't address in the draft, I always wonder, who, if anyone was on the board who could supplant the person we have at that position now? I guess I still buy into the Marv Levy School of Thought-"The best rookies are LAST YEAR's rookies."

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 06:04 PM
With Wilfork, Harris, Udeze and Will Smith still on the board?

How does picking either Udeze , Smith or DL help fix last years 30th ranked O? For a bills fan who's gone through 4 sb losses and hasn't been to the playoffs in recent years, I can't be that patient.

Check out that thread about wr's less than 6'. The list isn't too shabby. You don't need height when the cb is eating your dust.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Rob was Wades and Buttler boy. Not TD's.

TD could have cut him but instead cut Flutie. Which makes Johnson another one of TDs choices.

There's only a handful of players left on the Bills from the Butler Era. The product put out on the field is all Donahoe's decisions and he should be held accountable for it. 3-13,8-8, 6-10 is not very impressive.

No playoffs this year and TD should be fired.

If the Bills really suck this year and Dallas ends up getting a Top 5 pick next year will Lossman be worth it? It will be more then the Chargers got for Manning. If the Chargers were smart they should have fleeced Buffalo like Dallas did and trade the Bills Manning.

The_Philster
04-25-2004, 06:13 PM
TD could have cut him but instead cut Flutie. Which makes Johnson another one of TDs choices.

He left that call in the hands of the coaching staff. And Flutie forced GW's hand...GW wanted to have his coaches calling the shots...Flutie wasn't going to accept that..he got cut.

RedEyE
04-25-2004, 06:14 PM
How does picking either Udeze or Smith help fix last years 30th ranked O?

Check out that thread about wr's less than 6'. The list isn't too shabby. You don't need height when the cb is eating your dust.

Accuracy is a problem in Buffalo and the Bills will be facing some fast secondary this year. I 'd rather have a WR that could go up and pull the ball down rather than depend on one to break open every play. I'm not knocking him, I'm just expressing an opinion.

And to answer your question, How does picking either Udeze or Smith help fix last years 30th ranked O?

Well, a DE like that will help keep our offense on the field. I want the Bills to concentrate on run this season, not the pass. Use Bledsoe sparingly, and let our two big name backs punch it out.

EAT THE CLOCK......Udeze = sacks and pressure the Bills defense lacked last year despite where they ranked in the NFL. Get the ball back to the O.

BlueFire
04-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE

Accuracy is a problem in Buffalo and the Bills will be facing some fast secondary this year. I 'd rather have a WR that could go up and pull the ball down rather than depend on one to break open every play. I'm not knocking him, I'm just expressing an opinion.

And to answer your question, How does picking either Udeze or Smith help fix last years 30th ranked O?

Well, a DE like that will help keep our offense on the field. I want the Bills to concentrate on run this season, not the pass. Use Bledsoe sparingly, and let our two big name backs punch it out.

EAT THE CLOCK......Udeze = sacks and pressure the Bills defense lacked last year despite where they ranked in the NFL. Get the ball back to the O.

Just because the O has the ball doesn't mean they are going to score (aka last year).

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 06:22 PM

EAT THE CLOCK......Udeze = sacks and pressure the Bills defense lacked last year despite where they ranked in the NFL. Get the ball back to the O. Winfield didn't have to go up. He just left them behind.

You are talking about a rookie here. Unless anyone can guarantee that Udeze will make an impact like Peppers, there's it's not gonna help an already no.2 D.

What was the great Bruce Smiths rookie season like?

RedEyE
04-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Winfield didn't have to go up. He just left them behind.

You are talking about a rookie here. Unless anyone can guarantee that Udeze will make an impact like Peppers, there's it's not gonna help an already no.2 D.

What was the great Bruce Smiths rookie season like?

Evans is a rookie too? So what is your point, exactly? That's a two way street.

justasportsfan
04-25-2004, 06:42 PM

Evans is a rookie too? So what is your point, exactly? That's a two way street. yup, but what is a bigger problem of this team. D or O?

Everyone was complaining how this O was horrible last year including myself. Now that our coaches and GM is trying to fix it, it's still a problem.

superbills
04-25-2004, 06:49 PM
yup, but what is a bigger problem of this team. D or O?

Everyone was complaining how this O was horrible last year including myself. Now that our coaches and GM is trying to fix it, it's still a problem.

Exactly. So, for everyone who thought we should have picked a lineman instead of Evans...you can only spend so many draft picks on defensive ends, man. We've drafted how many DEs in the past three years? Jeese, give them some time to develop before wasting more picks on guys who won't even help this year, let alone are NOT an immediate need.

Ebenezer
04-25-2004, 06:57 PM

RJ was kept for one reason...salary cap...it saved money to keep him and cut Flutie...cutting RJ would have cost money and the Bills would have cut one or two more players to get under the cap...3-13? if they would have cut RJ and Flutie (they could not have kept DF and cut RJ) they would have gone 1-15..not that it would have mattered but they did have to sell some tix after all...completely gutting the team would have equalled no tix sales...RJ is all on Butler.

Fat Tony
04-25-2004, 07:14 PM

There's only a handful of players left on the Bills from the Butler Era. The product put out on the field is all Donahoe's decisions and he should be held accountable for it. 3-13,8-8, 6-10 is not very impressive.

If the Bills really suck this year and Dallas ends up getting a Top 5 pick next year will Lossman be worth it? It will be more then the Chargers got for Manning. If the Chargers were smart they should have fleeced Buffalo like Dallas did and trade the Bills Manning.

You should change your name again- TacklingdummyJP

Fat Tony
04-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Both Flutie and RJ were losers by 2002, so keeping either of them was the wrong move. We did the fiscally responsible thing to do-bit the bullet.

BuffaloRanger
04-25-2004, 08:58 PM

Isn't 50+ sacks the last 2 seasons a problem? If your Oline gets pushed around (ours did) how can you have a good Offense?

Every season around Week 6 Bills fans start seeing the light about the improvements needed on the Oline. Then mysteriously they forget it all in Feb and March and start thinking that coaching and cohesion will solve all the problems. The next season the cycle starts all over again.

LtBillsFan66
04-25-2004, 09:08 PM
I was hoping for some more OL on day 2.

Meathead
04-25-2004, 09:59 PM
I feel kinda silly giving a grade because it's so hard to tell right now but I have to admit I feel pretty good about the draft.

Evans will be in the mix from day 1 and helps give the Bills a powerful top 4 WR depth chart. Even as a rookie he'll stretch defenses when he's in there, giving the coaches more offensive options. And Losman is a good gamble to make, giving the Bills at least a full season to program a guy with all the physical tools the way they want to. You have to admit that if this coaching staff can do anything it’s develop a QB. lol.

The Bills should be able to get some good OL prospects as free agents, but the DE spot remains a question mark. That position is very hard to fill outside of the early draft so it could end up being a problem. Hopefully one of the pasty new guys on the left side will justify their high draft rankings this year.

Given the nice distribution of talent across the roster, am I being a homer to say I like our chances this season? More importantly, do I want an answer to that question?

wbat27
04-25-2004, 10:45 PM
farve play 3 to 4 more years ha ha ha

SABURZFAN
04-25-2004, 10:51 PM
i think snell goes to miami.

User Manuel
04-25-2004, 11:02 PM

Tell me how much better you think Will Smith and / or Udeze would have been than Kelsay,Denney, Mckenzie and support it.
with some facts.

It is not like we passed on Javon Kearse or Bruce Smith Here.

mikemac2001
04-25-2004, 11:08 PM

We didnt give up as much as the giants no way did we, we gave up a first 2nd and 5th for a 1st and they gave up 2 first a 3rd and a 5th. the first round picks were a 4th ovr and likely with manning starting this season another top 10 pick so that was just dumb. also we werent a bad team last year just a bad coach team. i see our pick being near the 20's next year around the 22nd pick what we got in the deal. giants didnt have to give up as much since manning was gonna sit out and i believe him he would have. has TD done a bad job with players NO, head coaches yes lets see how MM does and if its another crappy coach then maybe TD should be gone

User Manuel
04-25-2004, 11:10 PM

Just promise if the Cowboys DO get a top 5 next year from this deal, you'll take your foolish rantings to THEIR board.

You know, it is OK to not like your GM, but, damn, at least base your opinion on supportable fact. you are so rage filled you are blaming everything short of the Kennedy assasination(well, I'll give you time on that one) on Donahoe.

We, as Bills fans, have always moaned that we dont have a decisive GM who makes bold, brash decisions. we get one and people can't wait to rip him down.

At the beginning of last season 8-8 looked like a pretty damned good bet for the Bills, they crush Patriots and then struggled the rest of the way, just as was originally suspected and expected.

How bout judging Donahoe on this year? You said it yourself. This is his team now, mostly his personnel. If he fails I'll nail him to the cross with you.

Cheers.

Throne Logic
04-25-2004, 11:48 PM

First off, Buffalo did not loose a first round pick. They basically moved next year's pick up to this year. The odds of that pick being in the top 15 are slim. This team has the personnel to make a run for the playoffs.

You cannot even begin to compare this trade to the Hershel Walker trade. Not even close. I would consider the Manning trade the second worst trade in this draft. That mess with the #6 and #7 picks just has me baffled - that was by far the worst trade in this draft.

Demon
04-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

First off, Buffalo did not loose a first round pick. They basically moved next year's pick up to this year. The odds of that pick being in the top 15 are slim. This team has the personnel to make a run for the playoffs.

I would be willing to make a bet that next year's first round pick would have been higher then the #22 that we got. And we gave up 2 other picks.

I am done bashing Losman or Donahoe. It makes little to no sense in doing that anymore. But, i heard this morning on some sports radio show, i think Sporting News Radio some NFL "expert" compare Losman to Brett Farve. If he is anything close to Farve, i will be VERY happy.

AndreReed83
04-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Look, we drafted Evans because he is faster AND can catch better then Josh Reed. We need an Evans type as our 2nd receiver. Someone who can stretch the field and take off double teams for Eric Moulds. Then we can move Josh Reed back to Slot WR where I think he excelled his rookie season. And who cares about Evans height when he's blowing past DBs. Are they going to continue to double team Moulds because he's short?? Fine, that'll just leave him wide open down the field. Plus, the guy WILL grow. Oh, and by stretching the field, it will open up the defenses so we can run all over them. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PICK.

The Losman trade was pretty bad. Not because he's going to be a bad player but because, as many have pointed out, we gave up way too much (what was it, 4 picks??). I actually like getting him and I have a good feeling about him. He has no pressure on him this year, so he can just sit back and learn about good passing technique behind Bledsoe. And I like the fact that TD is willing to take chances to make this team better for now AND the future, instead of only thinking about one or the other or doing nothing at all.

Anderson pick isn't too shabby, I like that we got a guy like this at DT. Plus, we needed some depth and youth at DT.

I like Euhus but I don't think it was a necessary pick. I think we should have went with CB Vasher because I feel is better then any of our other none starting CBs.

The McFarland pick......eh, at least he's OL.

Smith pick. He is good, and since we are going to use him as a returner/ trick play guy a la Dante Hall, I guess I'm satisfied with it. I think a 7th rounder is worth it for a guy who could very well win some games by taking some kicks back for touch downs.

When it all comes done to it, I like this draft, much better then last years. I say A-.

justasportsfan
04-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

Isn't 50+ sacks the last 2 seasons a problem? If your Oline gets pushed around (ours did) how can you have a good Offense?

Every season around Week 6 Bills fans start seeing the light about the improvements needed on the Oline. Then mysteriously they forget it all in Feb and March and start thinking that coaching and cohesion will solve all the problems. The next season the cycle starts all over again. I would take more td's and a top 10 O w/ a 2nd best D that is ranked 9th in sacks, than a 30th ranked O w/ a no. 2 D ranked 5th in sacks.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Thanks, Dozer. I agree 100% and love our draft. And the job TD is doing with undrafted FAs is unbelievable.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by AndreReed83

The Losman trade was pretty bad. Not because he's going to be a bad player but because, as many have pointed out, we gave up way too much (what was it, 4 picks??). I actually like getting him

We didn't give up 4 picks. We got their 1st pick this year for our 1st pick next year. Call that even. So we gave up a 2nd and 5th this year - 2 PICKS.

AndreReed83
04-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

We didn't give up 4 picks. We got their 1st pick this year for our 1st pick next year. Call that even. So we gave up a 2nd and 5th this year - 2 PICKS.

Actually, we gave our 3 picks in exchange for 1 pick. We only lost 2 picks, but we gave three in the trade.