PDA

View Full Version : Transcript: Sam Wyche on J.P. Losman

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Sam Wyche:

On quarterback J.P. Losman:

J.P. is a guy that we ranked right there in the bulk of guys including the top three people. I wouldn't say we said he was the best in the draft but he was right there with them. Some times when you put them in lists like that, they are not equidistant from each other. They are very tight in terms of our feelings towards him and the other picks. He was a guy that we said going into the draft, if we end up with him we have a good player. The thinking was from Mike Mularkey that if we don't draft one this year we're going to have to go get one next year. We can't go on and on restocking here. Why this year rather than wait until next year and have a raw rookie that has another year to wait before he's ready to go before he's ready to go to play. We'll give him that playing time, spend that next year's draft now and get the advantage of the playing time between now and next year. He's not coming in to take the opener. He's got a very comfortable transition period here.

On Losman's skills:

He's an athlete. He's got quick feet. He makes quick judgments and gets out of that pocket when he needs to. He played on a team, I wouldn't say they weren't a good football team, but they did break down occasionally and was forced to scramble around. I went down to the work out with J.P. and Eli Manning was there. J.P. has a stronger arm. If he just works the pace of the ball, he's got more arm that way. He is a very confident kid. There is an obnoxious cocky that you don't want to be around, this is not J.P. There is also a confidence cocky that draws you in and that you rally around.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=241715

shelby
04-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Nice find, Spaz, thanks.:up:

cordog
04-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Sam made a great point about Mularkey not wanting to restock over and over. If you keep doing that you dont get anywhere.

ryjam282
04-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Nice Spaz, thanks a lot.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I really like the way Sam puts things. Clear and in plain English. :)

I have to say though that this statement did not make me feel a whole lot better about Losman. The overall feeling I got from this article was that they felt they got a "good" player, not necessarily the best player, but that they think they can still make it work. In other words, they wanted to start the rebuilding now no matter what and they feel they can do it with Losman.

If that's the case, I guess I just have to resign myself to the fact that we're going to do it the Panthers/Pats/Chiefs' way, i.e., with a very capable but unspectacular QB. That's fine - as long as we win I guess it doesn't matter how.

Man I miss Kelly. No wonder my dad kept saying enjoy it while it lasts because it's not likely to happen again for a very long time. :(

Throne Logic
04-25-2004, 10:32 PM
The new coaching staff has a proven history with QB development. It is because of this that I'm not too worried.

It also helps knowing that this kid should have at least a year of watching before being thrown into the fire.

B-DON
04-26-2004, 12:49 AM
doesnt st louis keep "restocking" and winning?

Demon
04-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by cordog
Sam made a great point about Mularkey not wanting to restock over and over. If you keep doing that you dont get anywhere.

I guess Mularkey hasn't learned the "Buffalo way" yet. We just keep on rebuilding and rebuilding........... lol

Romes
04-26-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

Man I miss Kelly. No wonder my dad kept saying enjoy it while it lasts because it's not likely to happen again for a very long time. :(

Sounds like you should rename yourself Mr. Cynical Jr. ;)

justasportsfan
04-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
I really like the way Sam puts things. Clear and in plain English. :)

Wyche: Why this year rather than wait until next year and have a raw rookie that has another year to wait before he's ready to go before he's ready to go to play.

I kept saying the same thing. Was mine in in chinese? :whatthe: