PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many "experts" think we dealt the farm for Losman?

Throne Logic
04-26-2004, 07:26 AM
We DID NOT give up a first round pick. I'm growing tired of hearing this.

We payed a 2nd and 5th for the right to use the 2005 pick a YEAR EARLY!

This gives our coaches an entire EXTRA SEASON to develop our QB of the future.

Otherwise, we'd be looking to draft a raw rookie next Spring who would face the possiblitity of starting in the first NFL game he attends as an NFL player.

I like this option better.

The Spaz
04-26-2004, 07:29 AM
I like that thought process as well we were going to draft a QB sooner or later and I'm glad it's the sooner so the guy can learn the system and get a year under his belt.

Patrick76777
04-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Couldn't agree more!

Hell, we got 2 1st rounders in one of the deepest drafts in years!

Novacane
04-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Right on TL! Dealing the farm is giving up Phillip Rivers, a 3rd, 1rst and 5th next year for the overated whiner Manning.

Who cares what the experts say anyway.

doug45
04-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Right on TL! Dealing the farm is giving up Phillip Rivers, a 3rd, 1rst and 5th next year for the overated whiner Manning.

Who cares what the experts say anyway.

We will see in the future on Manning and Rivers. I say if you are going to give up so much you should get the most you can. We should have at least got Ben for what we gave up.

Ebenezer
04-26-2004, 07:59 AM
As DD started on another thread and I agree...

Imagine spending the 5th pick on Peters...now, you have only sent the 1st next year to Dallas...you can still trade up with Henry next year to get into the 1st round...not a bad deal actually...

Ebenezer
04-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by doug45
We will see in the future on Manning and Rivers. I say if you are going to give up so much you should get the most you can. We should have at least got Ben for what we gave up.

TD already said that nobody wanted to trade down or the price was too high...

ryjam282
04-26-2004, 08:37 AM
I have been saying this all along. We didn't give up a 1st rounder next year, we just took it a year early. He cost us a 2nd and a 5th. I do wish it was a 3rd and a 5th but I can live with it. Losman, the more I read on the guy the more his numbers jump out at me. He is pretty good guys, we will be happy with him.

LtBillsFan66
04-26-2004, 08:41 AM
The draft didn't go the way I thought it would, but I LOVE the outcome!

doug45
04-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

TD already said that nobody wanted to trade down or the price was too high...

What's too high? This has not been a problem for him in the past!

elltrain22
04-26-2004, 09:11 AM
We will get that #1 pick back some way, some how, and as far as us loosing our 2nd and 5th rd picks, that is the price you pay for getting 2 first rd quality qb and wr.

Hounds
04-26-2004, 09:16 AM
It's not to high because I think Green Bay and the Rams would have picked PJ in the first round. So the Bills had to move up to get the guy they wanted. He would not have been on the board when the Bills picked again. So giving up a 2nd and a 5th to use next years 1st on a QB that is better then any available in next years draft and to have him on the team for an extra year is a great move.

baalworship
04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
AAAAAAGH! It's amazing that all these people who are PAID to have opinions can't look up a draft value chart.

Here is what I posted on Finheaven to help explain a trade that everyone has an opinion on but few have actually looked at closely.

As soon as Lee Evans was selected Donahoe got on the phone and offered almost every team from the 14th pick on down this trade. If this was a complete ripoff it's hard to see how so many teams passed on such a great deal. Then the Cowboys finally relented but got ripped by almost every draft talking head.

I think the Cowboys made out ok since Steven Jackson was overrated. I think the Broncos found a better back in Tatum Bell in the 2nd. Julius Jones was not way worse than Jackson.

From the Bills POV, we got a franchise QB a year early. This was necessary because Bledsoe's in the last year of his contract and his play has declined. I would give up a 2nd and a 5th anyday to have my future franchise QB get a year of learning under Sam Wyche before he is given the keys.

Draft Value Chart:

Bills Obtain Pick 1st Round (#22) 850 Points

Cowboys Obtain 2nd Round 2004 (#43) 480 Points, 5th Round 2004 40 Points, 2005 1st Rounder 500-700 Points

Teams Expecting to Contend 500
Teams Expected to be average 600
Teams Expected to be terrible 700

If we say Bills will be 8-8 next year that gets us:

1120 points

Difference in Points on Chart ='s Late 2nd Rounder To Early 3rd Rounder

So if Bills are TERRIBLE: We lose a mid second
If Bills are Average: We lose Late 2nd-High 3rd
If Bills are in Playoffs: We lose Mid 3rd rounder

That is not as bad as people make it out when you factor in:

1. Bledsoe's contract
2. Next year's QB class & uncertainty

ryjam282
04-26-2004, 10:06 AM
We lost the 2nd and 5th this year. Next year it is only the 1st rounder. So, even better.

MDFINFAN
04-26-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure all you gave up, a lot of conversation on the subject, but I think Losman is a baller who will pay dividends in the future. He has a clip on his shoulders because he thinks he's better than the QB's taken before him. He had a bad Senior bowl game imho. But the guy had a great year, so I don't hold one game against him. If he allows the players around him to do their jobs and not try to be the all in all, I think he might be one of the best QB's in this draft. I did like Rivers a lot too. Manning and Barry R. are not bad either. The Giants defintely better hope Manning is everything he's been hyped up to be. They really paid dearly for him.

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by doug45

Actually I would take it one step further - I would have offered our #13 in addition to our 2, 5, and 1 to get Ben. I find it hard to believe that if TD had offered this to Houston that they wouldn't have taken it. My gut feeling is that he probably offered a very similar trade with Houston that he did to Dallas, which wasn't going to happen.

No, I don't have any evidence of this. But it is my opinion nonetheless.