PDA

View Full Version : One encouraging thought about Losman

imbondz
04-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Sam Wyche is their quarterback coach. He's worked with great quarterbacks, had a successful head coach run in Cincy, and doesn't seem like the kind of coach who will take any attitude from a rookie.

And, i'm excited to see how his influence will help Bledsoe.

The_Philster
04-26-2004, 03:25 PM
:up: I've been thinking the same thing

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by imbondz
Sam Wyche is their quarterback coach. He's worked with great quarterbacks, had a successful head coach run in Cincy, and doesn't seem like the kind of coach who will take any attitude from a rookie.

And, i'm excited to see how his influence will help Bledsoe.

Agreed on your first point. :up:

Can't share your excitement on your second point however. Too much history behind Drew to all of a sudden make a dramatic change after 11 years just because of yet another coaching change.

imbondz
04-26-2004, 07:34 PM
that's the thing, Drew doesn't need a dramatic change. He needs some acute changes in his decision making, scrambling ability, and confidence. He lost his focus and confidence last year after the Miami game and never got it back.

Hopefully, with Wyche's directions, he can get it all back and more.

The_Philster
04-26-2004, 07:44 PM
that's the thing, Drew doesn't need a dramatic change. He needs some acute changes in his decision making, scrambling ability, and confidence. He lost his focus and confidence last year after the Miami game and never got it back.

Nicely put. We don't need miracles...if he just caretakes the passing game while the defense and the running game carry the load, we'll do well.

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 07:44 PM

"He needs some acute changes in his decision making, scrambling ability, and confidence."

We're talking about the same Drew, right? ;)

1. His decision making has always been an issue his entire career. Just look at his INT/TD ratio (4INTs for every 5TDs) and his 15-to-1 att to sack ratio (true, the oline has alot to do with this, but he also holds the ball which is one of the symptoms of poor decision-making, i.e., waiting for the big play instead of checking down)

2. He's never had scrambling ability and at 32 he's not going to get it.

3. True...he may be able to boost his confidence. That would definitely help the team's chances for success.

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
if he just caretakes the passing game while the defense and the running game carry the load, we'll do well.

I agree....*IF* he can caretake the passing game. So far he has never been able to do this consistently after 11 years.

The_Philster
04-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
I agree....*IF* he can caretake the passing game. So far he has never been able to do this consistently after 11 years.

Most of his problems arise when he tries too hard to carry the team on his shoulders. The Pats did their best when he had good talent surrounding him and he was able to utilize them to help win games.

And if you think that any QB is going to win without talent surrounding him, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas for you. ;)

Tatonka
04-26-2004, 07:59 PM
has anyone ever seen kal and wys at the same time? maybe it is like superman and clark kent?

:jk: kal

The Spaz
04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
has anyone ever seen kal and wys at the same time? maybe it is like superman and clark kent?

Wys could also be Buffalo Ranger too!:snicker:

The_Philster
04-26-2004, 08:08 PM

:shakeno: I already stated this...kal has never made a post even half as long as an average Wys post

thefixer74
04-26-2004, 08:26 PM

:bf1: I agree,well put.:up:

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 08:31 PM

:tongue:

;)

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Most of his problems arise when he tries too hard to carry the team on his shoulders. The Pats did their best when he had good talent surrounding him and he was able to utilize them to help win games.

:jawdrop: I actually agree with you. ;)

Ok, I'll give you that one. If McGahee can tear it up, let's hope Drew repeats one of those 2 years ('96-'97).

P.S. But that still doesn't address his playoff/big game performance record. :box: ;)

P.P.S. And if he's a caretaker, we need to pay ALOT less. :D

BuffaloRanger
04-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Wys could also be Buffalo Ranger too!:snicker:

No I'm obviously not Wys. :lmao: I like Bledsoe and didn't want them to select a first round QB that would cause a controversy. It appears everyone knows Losman will watch and learn the whole year.

But I think TD is an idiot for constantly refusing to improve one of the worst O-lines in football.

Face this fact. The Bills have given up more sacks than any team not named Houston in the last 2 seasons. How do you explain that away?

1. If you blame Drew...well he's the QB again this season. Does this mean we are in store for another 50+ sack season?

2. If you blame play calling...then why did we need a 1st rd QB so bad? A simple change in offense would reduce sacks and make Bledsoe more effective.

3. If it's the Oline...then it should have been improved with one great player, not just a coach.

imbondz
04-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Buffalo Ranger-

:rofl: at your title!!

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
But I think TD is an idiot for constantly refusing to improve one of the worst O-lines in football.

Face this fact. The Bills have given up more sacks than any team not named Houston in the last 2 seasons. How do you explain that away?

1. If you blame Drew...well he's the QB again this season. Does this mean we are in store for another 50+ sack season?

2. If you blame play calling...then why did we need a 1st rd QB so bad? A simple change in offense would reduce sacks and make Bledsoe more effective.

3. If it's the Oline...then it should have been improved with one great player, not just a coach.

Agreed. And here's something I didn't know until recently...

Kerry Collins was getting creamed the last 2 years. ESPN was really harping on the Oline saying it bascially sucked. Then why I ask you did we get the coach of that line? I realize there were positive articles on him, but still... I wouldn't say our line was loaded with talent so why should he be any better here?

I'm not saying he won't do a good job...I'm just asking the question since I was unaware of how bad the Oline was in NY.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 02:53 AM
McNally is the most experienced O-Line coach the Bills have had since Carl Mauck (remember him?) There is no substitute for experience in making adjustments during the game. And it's great to have a Buffalo native on the coaching staff.

McNally is a victim of his own sucess. He did a wonderful job molding a line of average players into a SB (losing) line 3 years ago. Mainly because of that, the Giants put less emphasis on improving the O-Line as they felt McNally himself was the key and they could accept risk by upgrading other areas first. Sound familiar?

There is a reason why in his first interviews with the Buffalo media he repeatedly said "Don't expect miracles."

If the line gives up another 50+ sacks this year who's fault will it be?

- McNally's for being a poor coach?
- OLine for sucking again?
- The QBs for holding onto the ball too long?
- Clement's for having a bad game plan?
- MM's for being a bad HC?

I say it will be TD's for not improving a very lackluster line over 2 offseasons.

Nothing more can be said really. From now on I'm just going to cut and paste from my old posts.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Buffalo Ranger-

:rofl: at your title!!

Ironically it seems appropriate with those slime dogs getting served up in my avatar!

Yeah, unfortunately "I'm a trained killer." was already taken. :nana: