PDA

View Full Version : Tulane fans on J.P. Losman

The Spaz
04-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi, Thanks for visiting.
I don't know where this thing of Losman having an attitude problem came from. I mean, I read a scouting report on ESPN.Com which had a "c" notation next to his name, denoting "character issues." What? This kid graduated in 4 years with over a 3.0 in Classical studies. He has NEVER been in trouble. His teammates love him. They took some time to get adjusted to him at first, following Ramsey (two TOTALLY different styles), but they did respect him.

Ever notice that as much as he talks himself up and says that he is best, he NEVER uses the argument that he had a weak offensive line in college? And you know what, he did (so did Ramsey, both really tough guys). All the scouts pointed out, but through all his self-promoting, he never mentioned it once. He has NEVER publicly criticized a teammate or a coach. He works HARD. He wants to win. He is much harder on himself than anyone else can be. In fact, I would say J.P.'s BIGGEST problem is that he presses too much and tries to do too much. Its all the pressure he puts on himself. You can see how seriously he takes the game. I really think he needs to learn how to relax and just play football, let it come naturally. That ain't an easy thing though.

My point is, he has no attitude problem. He hasn't said anything that any other QB hasn't also said. Each of the guys that went in the first round said unequivocally they were the best available. Why did JP get tagged as some sort of character question mark? I don't get it. The most informative peice written about JP last year was in ESPN the Magazine, in their college football preview edition. It talked a lot about the "review of athletics" we had last spring when they almost canned our football program, and how he was given advice to go into the Supplemental Draft or transfer to another school...dozens of other 1-A schools contacted him. Instead, he stayed. And he went to his rhetoric professor and asked her to help him craft a speech to the team to be given in the event that we announced that 2003 would be Tulane's 110th and final season playing football. The speech was to urge the players to stay one more year with him, to fight it out, and to make it the greatest season in TU history.

That is a leader. Where anyone gets character issues from that, I'll never know. He had the respect of everyone on the team, because he led by example, with hard work. To mention Jeff George in the same sentance with Losman is absurd.

Now as far as physical skills, he is sort of a Ramsey-King hybrid. They both have playmaking ability, the ability to turn something into nothing, and Losman has that. They also both had extreme toughness in the pocket and out of it, and Losman more than has that (see the TCU game). Losman is clearly much more mobile than Ramsey, and probably as mobile as King. His arm is comparable to Ramsey's in strength (Ramsey has a cannon), but Losman throws a prettier deep ball. Losman does not throw as many interceptions as Pat and reads defenses better, (at the college level). Many of Losman's interceptions were off of deflections.

Best thing about JP is his competitiveness and confidence. Down 14 with 5 minutes left against Mississippi State, he not only thought we had a chance, he expected to would win the game. He led two touchdown drives, throwing for both, and took us down the field a third time to the 15 yard line so we could kick a FG to win 31-28.

I think Buffalo got the best QB pick in the draft. Give him a year or two. Let him learn how to be a professional give him some solid coaching. You'll be very pleased.

Also, any comparisons your fans might be making to Rob Johnson are way off base. Johnson was a laid back guy who had no toughness. Losman is a competitor who is tough as nails and will get in your face. His teammates will love him.

http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/tulane/bin/317905.html

ct bills fan
04-26-2004, 11:59 AM
a 2nd student anaylsis:

http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/tulane/bin/317927.html

some of us were a little disappointed last year w/J.P., when he seemed to stay with a short-mid field pass game. Turned out he had injured his shoulder after taking one of many hard shots early in the season, he was playing thru it without complaint or appeal for sympathy. He is a tough kid whose only faults, that I can see, is to put too much pressure on himself and to rely a bit too much on that great arm of his (he dosen't always plant his feet or square up when he throws.....things that will be easilly corrected).
Sadly for me (I'm a big Dolphins fan) the Bills got a good one, the guy who may turn out to be the best QB in this year's draft.

LtBillsFan66
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I like what I'm hearing!

mchurchfie
04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Good stuff Spaz, good work!:up:

B-DON
04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
maybe this will shut a few people up

Kolbiss
04-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
maybe this will shut a few people up

Or at least give him a chance!!!!!!!

Canadian'eh!
04-26-2004, 02:37 PM
what a shock.. Tulane fans like him.

The Spaz
04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Why do Tulane fans have to be buyest even though he no longer plays for them?

Canadian'eh!
04-26-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm just saying they would likely be biased. don't you cheer for players from your college team to do well?

HOWEVER, I was not tryig to rip them, just noting that they might be a bit biased. They are also the ones who have watched him the most closely over the last few years so they would know what to expect from him. I excpect they have some very valid points, but would be cautious to balance "insight" versus "fan"

Tatonka
04-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
what a shock.. Tulane fans like him.

yeah.. just like a buffalo fan would describe bledsoe.

:rolleyes:

mysticsoto
04-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Do you think Sam Wyche is biased? I'm willing to trust his assessment of JP's skills:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=241715

Meathead
04-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
buyest
My guess is that you played Gameboy during all your English classes.

The Spaz
04-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Meathead

Oh wow I didn't know I was being graded I'll try harder next time Mr. Meathead!:rolleyes:

Turf
04-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Hi, Thanks for visiting.
I don't know where this thing of Losman having an attitude problem came from. I mean, I read a scouting report on ESPN.Com which had a "c" notation next to his name, denoting "character issues." What? This kid graduated in 4 years with over a 3.0 in Classical studies. He has NEVER been in trouble. His teammates love him. They took some time to get adjusted to him at first, following Ramsey (two TOTALLY different styles), but they did respect him.

Ever notice that as much as he talks himself up and says that he is best, he NEVER uses the argument that he had a weak offensive line in college? And you know what, he did (so did Ramsey, both really tough guys). All the scouts pointed out, but through all his self-promoting, he never mentioned it once. He has NEVER publicly criticized a teammate or a coach. He works HARD. He wants to win. He is much harder on himself than anyone else can be. In fact, I would say J.P.'s BIGGEST problem is that he presses too much and tries to do too much. Its all the pressure he puts on himself. You can see how seriously he takes the game. I really think he needs to learn how to relax and just play football, let it come naturally. That ain't an easy thing though.

My point is, he has no attitude problem. He hasn't said anything that any other QB hasn't also said. Each of the guys that went in the first round said unequivocally they were the best available. Why did JP get tagged as some sort of character question mark? I don't get it. The most informative peice written about JP last year was in ESPN the Magazine, in their college football preview edition. It talked a lot about the "review of athletics" we had last spring when they almost canned our football program, and how he was given advice to go into the Supplemental Draft or transfer to another school...dozens of other 1-A schools contacted him. Instead, he stayed. And he went to his rhetoric professor and asked her to help him craft a speech to the team to be given in the event that we announced that 2003 would be Tulane's 110th and final season playing football. The speech was to urge the players to stay one more year with him, to fight it out, and to make it the greatest season in TU history.

That is a leader. Where anyone gets character issues from that, I'll never know. He had the respect of everyone on the team, because he led by example, with hard work. To mention Jeff George in the same sentance with Losman is absurd.

Now as far as physical skills, he is sort of a Ramsey-King hybrid. They both have playmaking ability, the ability to turn something into nothing, and Losman has that. They also both had extreme toughness in the pocket and out of it, and Losman more than has that (see the TCU game). Losman is clearly much more mobile than Ramsey, and probably as mobile as King. His arm is comparable to Ramsey's in strength (Ramsey has a cannon), but Losman throws a prettier deep ball. Losman does not throw as many interceptions as Pat and reads defenses better, (at the college level). Many of Losman's interceptions were off of deflections.

Best thing about JP is his competitiveness and confidence. Down 14 with 5 minutes left against Mississippi State, he not only thought we had a chance, he expected to would win the game. He led two touchdown drives, throwing for both, and took us down the field a third time to the 15 yard line so we could kick a FG to win 31-28.

I think Buffalo got the best QB pick in the draft. Give him a year or two. Let him learn how to be a professional give him some solid coaching. You'll be very pleased.

Also, any comparisons your fans might be making to Rob Johnson are way off base. Johnson was a laid back guy who had no toughness. Losman is a competitor who is tough as nails and will get in your face. His teammates will love him.

http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/tulane/bin/317905.html

Nice post Spaz :up:

Personally I like the kid a lot. They gave up a lot for him, but I LIKE his attitude.
One of the things Kelly had going for him was the size of his head. His head was bigger than the team. He was a leader. JP could be the same type of player. I think he's going to be a very good QB in the NFL.

matt
04-27-2004, 10:56 AM
I like the post Spaz.

mikemac2001
04-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Meathead

Whats wrong with how he speeled it?