PDA

View Full Version : I won't be sold on Losman til he plays, but I'm glad we didn't end up with Rivers

OpIv37
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Why? At one point during the draft (I believe right after he was selected), the ESPN guys went on and on about how he reminded them of Bernie Kosar.

Bernie Kosar? That's an insult, not a compliment. The guy was horrible- remember that little shuffle-pass thing he used to do? I'm sure it was mainly based on the unorthodox delivery, but still... we don't need anyone who can be compared to Kosar.

EDS
04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Kosar was a pretty good quarterback.

OpIv37
04-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by EDS

Maybe it's because I didn't watch him until the end of his career, but I remember him being horrible. Less mobile than Jim Kelly and always trying to force plays.

nolimit
04-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Rivers arm strenght would not have been adequate for winter games in B-lo.

Dozerdog
04-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
Maybe it's because I didn't watch him until the end of his career, but I remember him being horrible. Less mobile than Jim Kelly and always trying to force plays.

He was a very prolific passer for the Browns Mid -to-late 1980's.

TedMock
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Kosar was good enough to leave college early for the draft. For 5-7 years he was a good NFL QB. He played on a playoff team that made the AFC championship game.

Captain gameboy
04-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Rivers is better than Kosar, for two reasons, in my view.
First, he has better skills.
Second the NFL has changed to a "move the chains," run the clock game don't get your GM or HC fired offense. Rivers is suited to this.
No matter.
I my NFL fan lifetime, spanning 38 years, I've never seen anyone go so far so fast as Rivers. A good deal of that is do to the issue of lowering the risk of NFL GM's and HC's. They get fired too fast, and for that reason, and are in love with guys who are low risk, which Rivers is.
The other coincidence regarding Rivers is having Marty as his coach in post seasnon play. They're a perfect fit. Marty runs a low risk offense, and Rivers is a low risk QB.

eyedog
04-26-2004, 04:51 PM
How can you say he is better than Kosar when he hasn't played one NFL down yet ?????????
Kosar wasn't HOF material but for a few years there in Cleveland he wasn't bad.

Bill Brasky
04-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by EDS

yeah, he was pretty good. pretty good at being a crappy qb who never won jack squat.

the only thing really comparable b/w rivers and bernie at this point is the delivery.

Captain gameboy
04-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Because he's quicker, and more mobile.
I think Kosar had a better arm, but not much.
I think Kosar played in an era where D'lineman and LB's were not as fast, and the LB's were not as geared to pressuring the QB.
For those reasons, I think Rivers is better.

OpIv37
04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by eyedog

Kosar wasn't HOF material but for a few years there in Cleveland he wasn't bad.

Exactly what I'm talking about- a #4 overall pick being compared to a QB who's "not that bad". Maybe I'm being too hard on Kosar, but if I'm looking for a future QB, I want the comparison to be to someone much better than him.

eyedog
04-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
Exactly what I'm talking about- a #4 overall pick being compared to a QB who's "not that bad". Maybe I'm being too hard on Kosar, but if I'm looking for a future QB, I want the comparison to be to someone much better than him.

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't a big Kosar fan and I'm not big on Rivers either. I was watching the draft hoping somebody would take him before #13 so the Bills wouldn't be tempted. I am glad they got Losman.

helmetguy
04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Didn't Kosar play for Bill Belicheck in Cleveland?

Just a little food for thought.

EDS
04-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by jfreeman

yeah, he was pretty good. pretty good at being a crappy qb who never won jack squat.

Well I guess Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning and Dan Fouts are crappy too - they never won a super bowl. You have high standards.

But for an Earnest Byner fumble and a John Elway comeback drive Kosar leads the browns into the superbowl.