View Full Version : Bledsoe ready to re-energize Bills

Pride
07-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Bledsoe ready to re-energize Bills
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
July 24, 2002
www.yahoosports.com

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) -- When he showed up for training camp Wednesday, Drew Bledsoe drove right past the entrance to the players lot and had to turn his car around. ADVERTISEMENT

It was a rookie mistake for the Bills' new quarterback, who reported to begin his first camp with Buffalo after nine seasons in New England.

``It's a little bit like being a rookie again,'' Bledsoe said. ``But it's like being a rookie with a lot of experience and knowledge. I'm fired up about it.''

Bills' quarterbacks, rookies and selected veterans reported in preparation to open camp on Thursday, three days before the start of full-squad practices at St. John Fisher College in suburban Rochester.

Since being acquired in a trade last April, Bledsoe has fired up the region's football-mad fans, as well as his teammates.

``There's a high energy around here, you can just feel it by being here,'' second-year defensive lineman Tyrone Robertson said. ``You've got Drew Bledsoe, and just on both sides of the ball everything's looking better. ... All my friends back home asked me how we're going to do. And I said, 'Hey, the sky's the limit.'''

Bledsoe is but one of many key additions to what had been a banged-up and raw Bills' lineup last year. Buffalo also signed a number of veteran free agents, including offensive lineman Trey Teague, linebackers London Fletcher and Eddie Robinson, safety Billy Jenkins and kicker Mike Hollis.

``I think from the top, from Mr. Wilson all the way down to the rookies, I think there is an excitement here,'' nine-year player Jerry Ostroski said, referring to team owner Ralph Wilson. ``How can there not be? We feel bad enough about putting a product like that on the field last year. But now that we've gone out and gotten a lot of help ... Hopefully, we can learn to be a team in this camp and move on.''

The Bills also bolstered their line in the draft, selecting hulking offensive tackle Mike Williams No. 4 overall.

Williams remains unsigned, as do receiver Josh Reed and defensive lineman Ryan Denney, both second-rounders.

Bledsoe, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who ranks 20th among the NFL's all-time leading passers, represents the centerpiece of the off-season rebuilding program.

The Bills marketing staff has gone all out. On the cover of the Bills media guide this season is a picture of Bledsoe running onto the field as smoke billows behind him. Inside, Bledsoe's biography and statistics span 16 pages.

``It's exciting,'' Bledsoe said. ``And I know that this area gets very excited about their football, and it's fun to be a part of,'' said Bledsoe. ``Now we've got to go win games. That's the bottom line.''

Bledsoe will be a starter again after he was injured two weeks into last season and never regained the No. 1 job from Tom Brady.

``I'm excited about getting back on the field, I'm excited about playing, I'm excited about the talent that I have around me,'' Bledsoe said. ``I lookforward to big things. I think we can do good things here with this team.''

Notes

Second-year WR Reggie Germany, coming off left knee surgery, is expected to open camp on the physically unable to perform list. ... More than 60 players were expected to take part in the first three days of camp before the remaining veterans report on Saturday. ... Bills coach Gregg Williams isn't concerned by the three unsigned rookies missing the start of camp. ``It really doesn't bother me. I'm actually involved more with those guys that are here,'' Williams said. ``I do know it's part of the process, but I never spend any timethinking about it. ... We'll catch them up.''

THATHURMANATOR
07-25-2002, 11:27 AM
great article!!!

bledslow
09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
the quotes from this article made me laugh so hard,i broke 3 ribs.

loserman gotta get healthy quick(really)

The Spaz
09-12-2004, 05:11 PM
the quotes from this article made me laugh so hard,i broke 3 ribs.

loserman gotta get healthy quick(really)

Wow way to dig troll.:rolleyes: