PDA

View Full Version : I'm willing to rationalize the Losman trade

Ebenezer
04-26-2004, 06:15 PM
OK, here goes...

we gave up the 2005 1st round pick and a 5th in 2004 to move up into the 1st round and pick Losman...

I look at it this way...the Bills signed Jason Peters as a undrafted FA...most wanted him in the 3rd or 4th round...so really, we took him with the 5th or 6th round pick...

now, next year, if he stays healthy the Bills trade Travis Henry and a 2nd to move back into the first round

...So, in essence the Bills used their 2nd next year to move up to get Losman...I can live with that. :up:

mypoorfriendme
04-26-2004, 06:22 PM
the moer i think about it, the more i think we really didnt pay that high of a price. really, all we gave up was this years second seeing as next year, itll be as if we picked losman with that pick. the fifth was excused with signing of peters

STAMPY
04-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
the moer i think about it, the more i think we really didnt pay that high of a price. really, all we gave up was this years second seeing as next year, itll be as if we picked losman with that pick. the fifth was excused with signing of peters

What the heck have i been telling you since saturday :angry:

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2004, 07:51 PM
The way I look at it is we were able to use next years pick this year and Losman will be able to learn from our coaching staff and even from Drew. If we had waited till next year to draft the heir apparent to Drew, it would be ANOTHER year before he was ready to play. This way we basically get a guy who is ready to play next year right away.

Ebenezer
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
This way we basically get a guy who is ready to play next year right away.

I never said that...I don't expect solid contributions until 2006 at the earliest.

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2004, 07:59 AM
The biggest thing is that we didn't give up our #1 this year, and got the speed WR we need, in addition to Losman. That's the biggest difference. When the trade was made, I initially thought they gave up too much, but after thinking about it, it's ok.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-27-2004, 08:34 AM
I still can't rationalize it, I think it may take a little longer to get over the fact that for a quarterback that has potential, but isn't expected to play until at least 2005 the Bills gave up:

A 2nd rounder, a 5th rounder, and the 1st pick in next years draft for Losman.

When all they had to give up was a 3rd rounder in this years draft for Drew Henson.

LtBillsFan66
04-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
The way I look at it is we were able to use next years pick this year and Losman will be able to learn from our coaching staff and even from Drew. If we had waited till next year to draft the heir apparent to Drew, it would be ANOTHER year before he was ready to play. This way we basically get a guy who is ready to play next year right away.

Bingo!

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The biggest thing is that we didn't give up our #1 this year, and got the speed WR we need, in addition to Losman. That's the biggest difference. When the trade was made, I initially thought they gave up too much, but after thinking about it, it's ok.

Bingo!

RedEyE
04-27-2004, 08:39 AM
I posted something similar on Saturday, but Eb always has a way of stating things more eloquently.

Honestly I think Evans was more of a gamble with the 13th pick overall than the components given up for the Losman trade.

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I still can't rationalize it, I think it may take a little longer to get over the fact that for a quarterback that has potential, but isn't expected to play until at least 2005 the Bills gave up:

A 2nd rounder, a 5th rounder, and the 1st pick in next years draft for Losman.

When all they had to give up was a 3rd rounder in this years draft for Drew Henson.

You think Henson will be better than Losman?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

You think Henson will be better than Losman?

For the cost I do.

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
For the cost I do.

I could care less about th ecost if Losman ends up being a franchise QB.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

I could care less about th ecost if Losman ends up being a franchise QB.

In today's game, that is what gets you in trouble. We are all going to have to see what this coaching staff expects from their QB. I know Parcells doesn't ask a lot from his QB. Henson will have to be able to manage a game and not lose. As long as he still has the skills, he has the brain to be a very good QB in this league.