PDA

View Full Version : Say what you want about TD...

mchurchfie
04-26-2004, 06:19 PM
But I would rather have a GM like TD who is willing to take a few gambles and be aggressive, like he was yesterday rather than sit back in a Darcy Regier sort of way and just blow smoke up peoples asses to save money. Maybe some of his moves can be second guessed but he sends a CLEAR message to the fans that him and Ralph are willing to open up the vault and bring in some people whom they think can help them win it all.:up: I applaud the man.:bf1:

justasportsfan
04-26-2004, 06:21 PM
BINGGO! No guts no glory. The only problem I've had with him so far Greaghead and co. Well actually we'll see how the Mcgahee pick turns out soon.

shelby
04-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Excellent post!:10:

Ebenezer
04-26-2004, 06:26 PM
:up: great analysis as usual.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2004, 06:26 PM
As a confirmed risk taker, I agree totally.

helmetguy
04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Works for me!

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2004, 07:14 PM
:gag:

Nighthawk
04-26-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree, have to take chances...I may have overreacted with the picking of Evans at #13. I'll wait and see how everything from this weekend works out before I crucify him.

Tatonka
04-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
I agree, have to take chances...I may have overreacted with the picking of Evans at #13. I'll wait and see how everything from this weekend works out before I crucify him.

good to hear. :up:

BuffaloRanger
04-26-2004, 09:53 PM
So you like the Redskins GM even more? They take risks - and more expensive ones.

Bills and Sabres are on such different ends of the spectrum when it comes to money. Bills make tons of money, Sabres don't. You are right though, Regier should have done something last year

My big complaint about TD isn't his "riverboat gambling". Even though I think he tries to hard to fly in the face of convential wisdom, I really don't mind it, it keep things interesting. No risk, no reward as they say. But the thing that I hate about him, and which could very well become his undoing here in Buffalo, is his complete disregard to improving the O-line.

If he knows so much, why have the Bills been sacked more than any team not named Houston the last 2 seasons? Seriously. Tell me why? Anyone? Why over that time have the Bills only added a 6th, and now 7th rd pick? If it's Drew's fault, and he is our QB in 2004, then wouldn't it make sense to protect him more?

CWOUSARET
04-26-2004, 11:48 PM
agreed - there is a definate positive coorelation bewteen BALLS and BLUE CHIPS!

mchurchfie
04-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
So you like the Redskins GM even more? They take risks - and more expensive ones.

Bills and Sabres are on such different ends of the spectrum when it comes to money. Bills make tons of money, Sabres don't. You are right though, Regier should have done something last year

My big complaint about TD isn't his "riverboat gambling". Even though I think he tries to hard to fly in the face of convential wisdom, I really don't mind it, it keep things interesting. No risk, no reward as they say. But the thing that I hate about him, and which could very well become his undoing here in Buffalo, is his complete disregard to improving the O-line.

If he knows so much, why have the Bills been sacked more than any team not named Houston the last 2 seasons? Seriously. Tell me why? Anyone? Why over that time have the Bills only added a 6th, and now 7th rd pick? If it's Drew's fault, and he is our QB in 2004, then wouldn't it make sense to protect him more?

Not at all..TD isn't even close to being in the same mode as Washington's GM...that lunatic is out of control.:cynic: We have plenty of good talent on the OLine. When you're at the mercy of rookie oline coaches and passhappy OC's like they were then you are destined to fail. I put alot of faith in McNally's judgment of the talent there also. I'm sure if he needed more talent he would have pointed it out and got some. I'm not saying that TD knows everything and I'm not saying that he should get into every bidding war there is for players. However, he is not afraid to step up to the plate if he thinks it will help the team. The jury is still out on alot of his moves but it beats him sitting on his ass and not doing anything.

lordofgun
04-27-2004, 12:27 AM
TD needs an extreme makeover.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Church,

Where is the talent at Center? I think you are being overly optimistic on the talent level there. McNally has seen the players during a 3 day mini-camp and on film, that's it.

Sullivan/Tucker at Guard is OK if the Center slot was improved. Or Teague would be OK if the G spot was improved. Yes coaching will help, but I'd rather depend on quality players, then McNally having to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

bufbill01
04-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Well the big question is who is to blame for the offensive disaster. Did Drew hang on to the ball too long? Did the offensive line crumble? Were the routes too intricate? Was it a combination?

I don't know. But every time Drew dropped back...I knew something bad was going to happen. I kept saying why didn't we run the ball?

Now we have a fast WR(Evans - 4.3) to spread the field, and one or two premier RB's.

Add the prospect of Losman...I feel confident!

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by bufbill01
Well the big question is who is to blame for the offensive disaster. Did Drew hang on to the ball too long? Did the offensive line crumble? Were the routes too intricate? Was it a combination?

I don't know. But every time Drew dropped back...I knew something bad was going to happen. I kept saying why didn't we run the ball?

Now we have a fast WR(Evans - 4.3) to spread the field, and one or two premier RB's.

Add the prospect of Losman...I feel confident!

Gilbride

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Drew held on to the ball too long, because the routes were insanely complicated. The WR could run one of several different routes depending on the set of the Def Backs. Drew and the WRs had to be thinking the same route and too often they weren't. Defenses have learned to disguise coverages with alot of motion before the snap. This is why Gilbride's offense is basically obsolete in the NFL.

So a simplified offense in that respect will help the Oline in pass protection because Drew should get rid of the ball quicker. I'd still feel better if Teague improved his shotgun snapping.

mchurchfie
04-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Church,

Where is the talent at Center? I think you are being overly optimistic on the talent level there. McNally has seen the players during a 3 day mini-camp and on film, that's it.

Sullivan/Tucker at Guard is OK if the Center slot was improved. Or Teague would be OK if the G spot was improved. Yes coaching will help, but I'd rather depend on quality players, then McNally having to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

I fully agree on the center position...that one makes me scratch my head. Teague is NOT a good center IMO. The rest of the line I am fine with. If they simply the offense and committ to the run everyone will be better for it. Maybe one more quality OLman wouldn't have hurt and we still might pick up some after the cuts in July but we had other glaring needs also so we didn't hurt ourselves with what we got.

mchurchfie
04-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Gilbride
I second that.:up: I can't wait to see him get Manning anihilated in NY.:snicker:

justasportsfan
04-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Church,

where was the talent when most of NE's starters went down last year? Hardly any. the coaches knew how to adjust and make the most of what the back-ups could do. Same thing the year they won their first sb. There was hardly any talent on their roster.

I think the success of a team depends on how good their coaches are. Not so much on talent. The fins had the best talent in recent years but Wanny is their coach.

Oh and Ziegler was awful in his last years w/ the bills. I think Mcnally can fix Teague.

pats-were-right
04-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Drew held on to the ball too long, because the routes were insanely complicated.

Whereas they were really simple the first six games of 2002. By the way, if THAT was the reason then I guess receivers' routes have been insanely complicated Drew's entire career.

RedEyE
04-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
where was the talent when most of NE's starters went down last year? Hardly any. the coaches knew how to adjust and make the most of what the back-ups could do. Same thing the year they won their first sb. There was hardly any talent on their roster.

I think the success of a team depends on how good their coaches are. Not so much on talent. The fins had the best talent in recent years but Wanny is their coach.

Oh and Ziegler was awful in his last years w/ the bills. I think Mcnally can fix Teague.

:bf1: Excellent post.

Right on. Game planning and strategy is the most underrated aspect of the game. If you have a team of coaches that lack vision and the ability to appropriately out strategize their opponent, then what good is the team on the field?

Problem was that we had a team of play makers listening and believing in what the coaches were conveying to them. Unfortunately, the message conveyed did not transfer well on the field. Williams sucked and most of the coaches he was surrounded with sucked, therefore the team sucked as a whole. During Williams reign I can't think of one game when the Bills won from behind. Serious lack of control on Williams part. The pieces were all there, he just couldn't complete the puzzle. That's why he's no longer a Head Coach in the NFL.

L.A. Playa
04-27-2004, 12:56 PM
one thing is sure whether these moves work out or not, everyone feels excited about the season