PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the Bills Defense...

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Basically...

Is the defense better today than at the end of last season with the change out of Vincent for Winfield?

I know alot of fans wrap themselves up with the "Bills were the #2 Def last year" statement like a warm blanket on a cold night.

But...

The Bills have had the worst takeaway #s in the NFL the last 2 seasons. I think Vincent was a great pick-up and will be good for 3 or 4 Int's. But what then?

The pass rush wasn't there when it was needed most. Bills racked up sacks in the big wins, but not much in the big losses.

The Bills gave up an average of 25 points in 6 road losses. Yes, some of this can be blamed on the poor field position/poor time of Poss by the offense.

Lebeau is gone. Gray is still here, so the Def gameplan shouldn't change much.

Does the success of the Def (or improvement) depend on Kelsy/Denney/McKenzie stepping up and getting good pressure on the QB?

B-DON
04-27-2004, 01:24 AM
i think its up to kelsey and for our db's to get more aggressive

Halbert
04-27-2004, 02:52 AM
The Bills' turnover performance was dismal, but let's not forget that opposing offenses didn't have to play from behind very often and thus didn't have to attempt many risky passes. This is the only explanation for the Bills surprising 10th ranking in sacks last season - QB's took sacks instead of forcing the ball because they knew they'd get another chance with the ball due to Buffalo's horrid offense.

It seems reasonable to assume the offense returns to at least average status, if not better. Talent is strong at key positions and an offensive minded coaching staff has more than enough experience to put the pieces together correctly. If so, there will be much more pressure on opposing offenses to score, giving the defense more realistic opportunities at turnovers.

mypoorfriendme
04-27-2004, 03:00 AM
the great thing about players like denney, kelsay, celements, schobel, and even spikes, fletcher, and posey are all getting better every season. you can expect better play from milloy next season once he has a full training camp to really sink in the scheme.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I think a good part of our success on defense this year will depend on the development of the young players we have drafted over the past few years.

Kelsay has to develop into a really good pass rushing defensive end, Wire into a playmaker at safety, and McGee into a good nickel back. Crowell needs to push Posey, and Bannan, Edwards or Anderson will have to give us better play behind Sam and Pat.

It may be a lot to ask, but a number of these guys were high draft picks and it's time to produce.

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Well, the way they drafted indicates that they are satisfied with Kelsey / Bannan. Hope they are right.