PDA

View Full Version : Wys is bringing the Doom and Gloom

Alluro
04-27-2004, 05:38 AM
I think it is well past time for the fans and media to start asking some hard questions of Bills’ management. At present, the current Bills coaching staff are trying to make the Bills all things to all fans. With glaring issues on both lines coupled with one of the deepest drafts ever, in other words a great draft to trade down in, not up, the Bills almost completely ignored two of their three largest weaknesses and traded up.

The first question is whether in a draft which is widely and indisputably regarded as one of the deepest ever, coupled with the fact that the Bills are a 6-10 team more than a single issue or two away from making the playoffs, how does one justify trading up thereby reducing the overall number of selections among the first six rounds of such a deep draft to only 4 selections?
Furthermore, neither one of the first two selections will make an immediate impact for this upcoming season. The selection of Losman certainly spells the end of the Drew Bledsoe era and all but guarantees that Bledsoe will not finish out this season as starter in Buffalo. Whether or not he even begins it, now remains to be seen as well as trade possibilities must be at the forefront of the mind of anyone who can "read the writing on the wall."

more...

http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/255128.html

casdhf
04-27-2004, 07:39 AM
No thanks.

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 07:44 AM
:shakeno::rolleyes:

Frozen Tundran
04-27-2004, 07:46 AM
That's an interesting article but I'm afraid I don't understand why he thinks Evans won't make an impact. I assume the Bills run more than one set, thus you're gonna want three starting wide receivers even though they may not always be on the field when you use a TE set or a two running back formation.

As for whether Evans can make an impact his rookie season, keep in mind his fellow UW alumnai Chris Chambers stepped into the Miami offense and gained almost 900 yards and scored 7 TDs his rookie season. Chris Chambers freely admits Evans is better than he is too.

Amongst recivers in first round consideration, Evans had by far and away the highest Wonderlic score, a 27, most the other candidates couldn't even break 20. He's not going to have as much difficulty as most adjusting to the mental requirements of the pro game. I guess the only way you could say he can't learn routes quickly is if you did't realize he was one of the very best route-runners in college, with an downright spooky ability to get open.

There are two ways of looking at how to approach a rich draft, one to trade down and get as many decent prospects as you can, the other to trade up and get the cream of the crop. The Bills came away with two blue-chip prospects, and got the fastest, most agile and smartest reciver amongst the top candidates as well as snaking the Packers QB candidate right from under our noses. Packers are pretty good at judging QBs, and Losman is the one we wanted. You shoulda seen Mike Sherman's face on the draft cam the moment you snuck ahead of him!

The Bills are a good team, and look to me like the best candidate to take a major step forward next year. You've an intimidating defnse and a very promising running game, and with Moulds, Reed and Evans one of the best reciveing corps in football nowadays.

Your main problem last season was Drew Bledsoe had just a terrible year throwing the ball. You probably know that better than I having endured it up close, wheras I can only look at the stats that indicate Bledsoe was the only QB in the league who threw more wild pitches than Donovan McNabb.

So you got yourself one of the premire QB prospects out of this draft as well. I personally think it unlikely Bledsoe will have such an uncharacteristic campaign again, but if he does you set yourself up with another positive option.

Frankly I hope others are as pessimistic as this fellow is about your chances next year, as I plan on putting a bet on you to win the AFC championship in Vegas and rather hope I can make a killing off it! :-)

(BTW, only betting the championship is not a slight intended to Bills fans, it's how I do all these bets as they don't offer better relative odds on the Super Bowl winner so you are better off betting the teams you think will make it and then you can double down on the Super Bowl if you want to, but I usually keep half and bet the other as that way you're a sure winner in any case)

Patrick76777
04-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Shocking! This guy knows nothing! Just like causing trouble!

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2004, 07:50 AM
The NFL could give the Bills the first 36 picks in the draft and wys would ***** about the guy that we didn't get at 37.

Cntrygal
04-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Frozen Tundran
That's an interesting article but I'm afraid I don't understand why he thinks Evans won't make an impact. I assume the Bills run more than one set, thus you're gonna want three starting wide receivers even though they may not always be on the field when you use a TE set or a two running back formation.

As for whether Evans can make an impact his rookie season, keep in mind his fellow UW alumnai Chris Chambers stepped into the Miami offense and gained almost 900 yards and scored 7 TDs his rookie season. Chris Chambers freely admits Evans is better than he is too.

Amongst recivers in first round consideration, Evans had by far and away the highest Wonderlic score, a 27, most the other candidates couldn't even break 20. He's not going to have as much difficulty as most adjusting to the mental requirements of the pro game. I guess the only way you could say he can't learn routes quickly is if you did't realize he was one of the very best route-runners in college, with an downright spooky ability to get open.

There are two ways of looking at how to approach a rich draft, one to trade down and get as many decent prospects as you can, the other to trade up and get the cream of the crop. The Bills came away with two blue-chip prospects, and got the fastest, most agile and smartest reciver amongst the top candidates as well as snaking the Packers QB candidate right from under our noses. Packers are pretty good at judging QBs, and Losman is the one we wanted. You shoulda seen Mike Sherman's face on the draft cam the moment you snuck ahead of him!

The Bills are a good team, and look to me like the best candidate to take a major step forward next year. You've an intimidating defnse and a very promising running game, and with Moulds, Reed and Evans one of the best reciveing corps in football nowadays.

Your main problem last season was Drew Bledsoe had just a terrible year throwing the ball. You probably know that better than I having endured it up close, wheras I can only look at the stats that indicate Bledsoe was the only QB in the league who threw more wild pitches than Donovan McNabb.

So you got yourself one of the premire QB prospects out of this draft as well. I personally think it unlikely Bledsoe will have such an uncharacteristic campaign again, but if he does you set yourself up with another positive option.

Frankly I hope others are as pessimistic as this fellow is about your chances next year, as I plan on putting a bet on you to win the AFC championship in Vegas and rather hope I can make a killing off it! :-)

(BTW, only betting the championship is not a slight intended to Bills fans, it's how I do all these bets as they don't offer better relative odds on the Super Bowl winner so you are better off betting the teams you think will make it and then you can double down on the Super Bowl if you want to, but I usually keep half and bet the other as that way you're a sure winner in any case)

Nice post. :up: About the only thing I disagree with is what our "main" problem was last year. Yes, Drew had "problems"... but IMO, our MAIN problem were the dynamic dip****s posing as coaches. (GW & KG)

Ebenezer
04-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
dynamic dip****s

:spit:

Bulldog
04-27-2004, 08:00 AM
I really can't comment on this article, I didn't make it past the first paragraph. I have already heard all this BS before.

Ebenezer
04-27-2004, 08:05 AM
That's an interesting article but I'm afraid I don't understand why he thinks Evans won't make an impact.

I hate to say but I agree...Anybody really think that Evans is coming in here and catching 75 balls and 10 TDs?? If he gets 50 catches and 5 TD I'll be shocked...Remember what Moulds did in his first year?? What worries me more is what this means for Moulds future with the team.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Evans is a polished receiver with great hands, good route running ability, speed and intelligence. I think he has a chance to make an impact as a rookie.

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Evans is a polished receiver with great hands, good route running ability, speed and intelligence. I think he has a chance to make an impact as a rookie.

Mularkey and TD seem to think he's have an immediate impact.

The_Philster
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The NFL could give the Bills the first 36 picks in the draft and wys would ***** about the guy that we didn't get at 37.

:lol: Too true

Frozen Tundran
Originally posted by Cntrygal

Nice post. :up: About the only thing I disagree with is what our "main" problem was last year. Yes, Drew had "problems"... but IMO, our MAIN problem were the dynamic dip****s posing as coaches. (GW & KG)

Well you got a lot closer look at it than I did, I was just going by a report done by Stats Inc that indicated that of all starting QBs Bledsoe surprisingly had the highest percentage of uncatchable balls. Dirtball Donovan usually dominates this catagory.

I would be surprised if he didn't return to form though, he's usually quite a good passer.

Patrick76777
04-27-2004, 08:16 AM
WR's rarely make an impact in their first year. it's not unheard of, but most of them take a few years. What gives Evans a good shot is his speed. If he can come in and stretch the field, maybe he can make an impact this year but I don’t think so.

I for one was very leery of going into last season with Reed as our number 2. Knowing full well that WR’s usually blow up in their third year. That being said, I’m feeling good about Reed this year.

Frozen Tundran
04-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

I hate to say but I agree...Anybody really think that Evans is coming in here and catching 75 balls and 10 TDs?? If he gets 50 catches and 5 TD I'll be shocked...Remember what Moulds did in his first year?? What worries me more is what this means for Moulds future with the team.

Why would 75 catches and 10 TDs surprise you? The idea a rookie wide reciver can't make a big impact on a team is rather unsubstatiated. In Green Bay both Sterling Sharpe and James Loften put similar numbers up their rookie campaign, and for a more recent example look to Seattle's Robinson and Jackson put up better numbers than you're expecting their rookie season too--even utilizing Holmgren's offense which is supposed to be difficult for rookies to grasp.

NC-BILLS44
04-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

I agree!!!

Frozen Tundran
04-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
WR's rarely make an impact in their first year. it's not unheard of, but most of them take a few years. What gives Evans a good shot is his speed. If he can come in and stretch the field, maybe he can make an impact this year but I don’t think so.

I for one was very leery of going into last season with Reed as our number 2. Knowing full well that WR’s usually blow up in their third year. That being said, I’m feeling good about Reed this year.

That's only true of second-tier prospects, not the best ones. The best can very easily have great campaigns their rookie seasons, given the opportunity. Lee Evans was an NFL-caliber receiver in 2001, and as I've pointed out he has all the tools to make the necessary adjustments to the pro game.

Keep in mind guys like Evans don't get the press and buzz guys like Fitzgerald and the Williams sisters did because he didn't play on either of the coasts nor down in Texas where college football is kind of like a bizzare pagan rite. Wisconsin is no media mecca, and our offense is totally run-dominated so Evans didn't get the opportunity to put up the flashiest stats.

TedMock
04-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Does he need to have a bunch of catches to make an impact? I think he'll get 50 grabs but let's say he only has 32 but has a 16 yard average. The fact that he's taking attention from Moulds and, most likely, freeing Reed up underneath would have a big impact without having a lot of catches.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Evans "impact" may well extend into Moulds' and Reed's stats.
I'd be satisfied with that.

LtBillsFan66
04-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
Does he need to have a bunch of catches to make an impact? I think he'll get 50 grabs but let's say he only has 32 but has a 16 yard average. The fact that he's taking attention from Moulds and, most likely, freeing Reed up underneath would have a big impact without having a lot of catches.

Originally posted by gameboy
Evans "impact" may well extend into Moulds' and Reed's stats.
I'd be satisfied with that.

That's what I'm thinking!

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Alluro
I think it is well past time for the fans and media to start asking some hard questions of Bills’ management. At present, the current Bills coaching staff are trying to make the Bills all things to all fans. With glaring issues on both lines coupled with one of the deepest drafts ever, in other words a great draft to trade down in, not up, the Bills almost completely ignored two of their three largest weaknesses and traded up.

The first question is whether in a draft which is widely and indisputably regarded as one of the deepest ever, coupled with the fact that the Bills are a 6-10 team more than a single issue or two away from making the playoffs, how does one justify trading up thereby reducing the overall number of selections among the first six rounds of such a deep draft to only 4 selections?
Furthermore, neither one of the first two selections will make an immediate impact for this upcoming season. The selection of Losman certainly spells the end of the Drew Bledsoe era and all but guarantees that Bledsoe will not finish out this season as starter in Buffalo. Whether or not he even begins it, now remains to be seen as well as trade possibilities must be at the forefront of the mind of anyone who can "read the writing on the wall."

more...

http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/255128.html

Deepest draft in 25 years? Absolutely.

Where was this draft the weakest? Offensive line. There was what, about a dozen total offensive linemen taken in the first 5 rounds. That is pathetic. Guys that the "draft experts" had going in Rd 3,4,5 went with compensitory picks in the 7th, or undrafted.
Even some of the big names like Grove went later than expected.

DL? There wes some depth in the draft- but not alot. But again- our Defense ranked 2nd, the offense ranked 30th. We addressed what were needs.

No one was more desperate then San Diego for OL- and they stayed away from them until late. Dallas was dying for OL help- and they chose to trade their top pick. Philly traded a buttload to move up and get Shawn Andrews- the second or third best OL man in the draft. That speaks volumes on the talent that was out there.

The biggest "head shaking " moment listening to his Radio show Thursday was when he and Tatonka were discussing OL needs, and they ran down what was available in the draft. Wys kept saying "what about Carey" ...Tatonka conntinued to drive home the concept of "Value".

Later on in the show he asked Tatonka- "I don't know a lot about the college guys - I don't watch a lot of college ball- run down some of the OL out there for us..." Fair enough. The draft has so many guys in it no one knows them all. But to turn around on a Monday and blast the organization for not getting OL, when he specifically mentioned he didn't know what the talent out there was is incredibly ignorant.

LtBillsFan66
04-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Later on in the show he asked Tatonka- "I don't know a lot about the college guys - I don't watch a lot of college ball- run down some of the OL out there for us..." Fair enough. The draft has so many guys in it no one knows them all. But to turn around on a Monday and blast the organization for not getting OL, when he specifically mentioned he didn't know what the talent out there was is incredibly ignorant.

:rofl:

Classic!

BillsFanInMass
04-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Terry Glenn had 90 catches her rookie season. lol

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Tim Anderson was a solid selection in the third round. The reasoning behind the Euhus selection in the 4th round is also questionable to say the least given other far more pressing needs on the team and the release of very capable Dave Moore and non-interest in several other decent TEs during free agency which would have come inexpensively even up until very recently.

Translation= I don't know who Euhus is - so we coulda done better with a retread.

Frozen Tundran
04-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by TedMock

I suppose it's good to hear he won't be subject to extreme expectations in Buffalo, but I think you're going to be in for a nice surprise. One thing we learned here in Wisconsin is never to underestimate Lee Evans--something he also done tattoed on the hide of the whole Big Ten conferance.

With no (and I mean NO) other receiving threats on his team he broke the Big Ten recieving record his first full campaign. If his QB could have actually throw the ball it's downright scary to think what he might have accomplished. Jim Sorgi is a great guy and I wish him well, but he didn't get invited to the Combine and no team took a look at him. He went to Wisconsin's pro day and managed to get drafted sight unseen by the Colts because he ran a 4.6 40 (which kinda tells you what kind of offense we ran) and someone must have looked at his statistical line which is awfully impressive for a Big Ten QB.

Mind you it's awfully easy to put up good stats when all you have to do is every once is a while heave the ball as far as you can and watch Evans come down with it. ;-)

Cntrygal
04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I suppose it's good to hear he won't be subject to extreme expectations in Buffalo, but I think you're going to be in for a nice surprise. One thing we learned here in Wisconsin is never to underestimate Lee Evans--something he also done tattoed on the hide of the whole Big Ten conferance.

With no (and I mean NO) other receiving threats on his team he broke the Big Ten recieving record his first full campaign. If his QB could have actually throw the ball it's downright scary to think what he might have accomplished. Jim Sorgi is a great guy and I wish him well, but he didn't get invited to the Combine and no team took a look at him. He went to Wisconsin's pro day and managed to get drafted sight unseen by the Colts because he ran a 4.6 40 (which kinda tells you what kind of offense we ran) and someone must have looked at his statistical line which is awfully impressive for a Big Ten QB.

Mind you it's awfully easy to put up good stats when all you have to do is every once is a while heave the ball as far as you can and watch Evans come down with it. ;-)

Keep posting stuff like this and I may have to slip ya some zonebucks. ;)

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2004, 10:02 AM
I just don't get how this was one of the deepest drafts ever???? At WR yes. Where else though??? Certaintly not on the Offensive and Defensive lines.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I just don't get how this was one of the deepest drafts ever???? At WR yes. Where else though??? Certaintly not on the Offensive and Defensive lines.

15 WR's with 1st or 2nd round grades. CB's and S were deep too. 4 first round QB's with very high grades. Deep at TE. DE was below average, DT was average , maybe a hair or two above average- (But combining DE/DT it was average to below average) LB was average, RB was average.

Look at the draft ratings of the guys who went undrafted. The top 50 undrafted FA's this year would have gone in the 5th round or later last year.

zdro22
04-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Have any of you guys emailed Wys? This guy is a windbag idiot who likes to talk to hear himself talk. He writes these 100 pages responces about how both lines are pathetic and how this team is going nowhere...where he could have easily responded with a quick couple of sentences getting the SAME point across. I can see maybe takes one of the D-Lineman..but this was a weak draft across both lines. You dont take a subpar lineman cause you need a lineman. I have yet to get through one of his articles without wanting to rip both of my eyes out, preventing me from ever reading any of his mindless bill bashing

Dozerdog
Plus you had a lot of highly skilled players fall off the charts for stuff that would ge them drafted in other years- Kelly Butler, Brandon Everage, - twoo guys who got busted or had problems with day 1 talent- but they fell out of favor fast.

Frozen Tundran

Defensive Tackle was as deep as it's ever been actually; End was kind of sparse though.

QB was as deep as you could want it, with lotsa of top-tier candidates and gobs and gobs of promising development projects. By mere coincidence many of the top NCAA programs graduated their starting QBs.

There was boatloads of linebackers and a whole slew of not-quite top-tier cornerbacks--second round sorts--as well.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by zdro22
Have any of you guys emailed Wys? This guy is a windbag idiot who likes to talk to hear himself talk. He writes these 100 pages responces about how both lines are pathetic and how this team is going nowhere...where he could have easily responded with a quick couple of sentences getting the SAME point across. I can see maybe takes one of the D-Lineman..but this was a weak draft across both lines. You dont take a subpar lineman cause you need a lineman. I have yet to get through one of his articles without wanting to rip both of my eyes out, preventing me from ever reading any of his mindless bill bashing

:welcome:

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2004, 11:26 AM

Defensive Tackle was as deep as it's ever been actually; End was kind of sparse though.

QB was as deep as you could want it, with lotsa of top-tier candidates and gobs and gobs of promising development projects. By mere coincidence many of the top NCAA programs graduated their starting QBs.

There was boatloads of linebackers and a whole slew of not-quite top-tier cornerbacks--second round sorts--as well.

Defensive tackle was as deep as its ever been? What?
Wilfork, Harris and who?

Captain gameboy
04-27-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised he was able to write anything.
I thought I heard his head explode when the Bills/Cowboys swap resulted in the Losman pick.

Halbert
04-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Anybody really think that Evans is coming in here and catching 75 balls and 10 TDs??

Most probably not but he doesn’t have to be a full time starter to make an impact. All he has to do is catch his first long TD and then every time he steps on the field the defense has to make an adjustment. As the season goes on you'll probably see him more prominently. 50 catches sounds about right.

I think you’ll see basically a three-man rotation for the #2 & 3 WR spots.

toughluck
04-27-2004, 12:10 PM
If Evans is on the field I think he is making an impact. If nothing else, he is going to keep the safeties honest and make sure they can't roll over to Moulds. They also will have to respect the deep ball more, so that will open up the middle for Reed, and also probably open up the run game a bit more (If they are back worrying about getting beat by the long ball, they aren't going to be as fast getting up to stop TH/WM) I think he will have an ok season, nothing spectacular, but nothing in the dumps either. His greatest benefit this year will be helping take some of the pressure off Moulds and our running backs.

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Wilfork, Harris and who?

I'm with thurm. This draft wasn't THAT deep.

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I'm with thurm. This draft wasn't THAT deep.

For Fantasy Leaguers, this draft was an embarrassment of riches-tons of "skill" position players. Among the "grunts," there wasn't an exceptional amount of talent there who could claim the starting spot from Day One.

DraftBoy
04-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Ill be honest here and say now that I can see Lee Evans possibly winning ROY with our running attack and with Moulds being DT'd. Bledsoe has the arm needed to get him the ball and he has the speed to open the field up. Its going to be an exciting year in B-Lo.

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Ill be honest here and say now that I can see Lee Evans possibly winning ROY with our running attack and with Moulds being DT'd. Bledsoe has the arm needed to get him the ball and he has the speed to open the field up. Its going to be an exciting year in B-Lo.

Damnit, man, cut it out! You're starting to say too much stuff that I agree with. Where's the fun in that? Anyway, now that the Bledsoe contract thing is straightened out, things are starting to look better and better. Now, if we could only sign Danny Holland to a UDFA contract, I'll be happy as hell!

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Damnit, man, cut it out! You're starting to say too much stuff that I agree with. Where's the fun in that? Anyway, now that the Bledsoe contract thing is straightened out, things are starting to look better and better. Now, if we could only sign Danny Holland to a UDFA contract, I'll be happy as hell!

Is Holland any better than the 2 other LB's we signed yesterday Dilibe Acholonu, Daryl Towns?:idunno:

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Is Holland any better than the 2 other LB's we signed yesterday Dilibe Acholonu, Daryl Towns?:idunno:

Not sure. But I know the kid (and his brother, Joe, graduated with me), he has a great motor, excellent speed, but not quite big enough (yet) to play a pass rush DE role. He was 2003 DII LB of the year. Here's a link that has some info on him:

http://sports.mansfield.edu/football/Release%20Stories/linebacker_of_year.htm

BTW, Ingtar might want to take a look at the McNeal kid, too. Reminds me of "Mini-Mac" Herron-all feet and shoulder pads!

Holland could probably excel on STs at the pro level. In any case, I'd love to see him get a shot with the Bills.

John Doe
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
...neither one of the first two selections will make an immediate impact for this upcoming season.

Even so, it still remains a mystery why as a team that is purported to run the ball as the Bills are supposed to do, with seemingly the best RB tandem in the entire league, why such a team needs two stellar WRs to be effective.

If Evans is a factor, it likely will mean reducing Reed’s role, a former 2nd round 36th overall pick, significantly.

With Wys, its always a "lose lose" situation. Evans can't possibly make a contribution this coming season (unlike whoever Wys would have drafted), but if by some chance he does, then he takes catches away from Wys' favorite guy, Josh Reed (heaven forbid). And who needs two stellar receivers anyway? Eric Moulds could never be injured, now could he?

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:14 PM
I love how the Bills go back and forth between being a talented team and a dreadful team depending on the point he wants to make.

Now when Drew or JP are discussed, they're both wasting talented teams. When TD is discussed, the team is horrible and in need of major repairs. Which is it?

Frozen Tundran
04-28-2004, 11:49 AM

Wilfork, Harris and who?

Here's the director of scouting for an NFL team (John Dorsey of the Packers) opinion of it from a pre-draft chat:

"What positions are the deepest in this draft? - Posted by John of Appleton WI
In the 2004 draft, the two deepest positions would have to be wide receiver and defensive tackle. "

http://www.packers.com/fans/live_chat/transcripts/2004-04-22.phtml