PDA

View Full Version : WE THE FANS can help this year.....

Canadian'eh!
04-27-2004, 12:33 PM
I know this will likely never happen, but it needs to be said.

IMO, there are 2 main reasons you can end up with a QB controversy a la Johnson-Flutie.

1- is the media. there is nothing we can do about that. they are gonna say what the people want to hear and LOVE to lat blame on everyone. after a game last year (indy-buffalo) i heard one guy RIP EVERY PLAYER ON THE TEAM. then when callers would say such and such a player had a good game, he gave them the highest of praise. I was like " i guess he figured that caller wasn't listening 5 mins ago". anyway. whateer the fans want tohear for the most part. Local media is always that way.

2- THE FANS - us. It seems that fan opinion always plays a part. Team officialls will deny they ever give in to public pressure, but they do, after all it's the fans that pay for the tickets and watch the TV. If we want to get into the whole Drew sucks I want Losman thing we are gonna end up seeing a repeat of RJ-DF. No one wants that. Granted, They did their own part in this as did the teams like and dislike fo the two, but the fans just fueled the situation.

Now, I know I'm being WAY too idealistic to have reality here. But my point is Drew is the starter thsi year. Like him or not that is a fact. So why not support the team and give him a chance? he's obviously playing for his job, be it here or elsewhere and that can only bring out the best in him. The uninterupted bashing and we want Losman threads only contirbute to a situation that could get ugly. Personally, I think Drew would never get it teh middle fo this as he didn't in New England.

Anyway, all i want is the Bills to have a good season and for us to make the playoffs, maybe even win a Super Bowl. As unlikely as that is, as a fan it's what it's all about and what I want to see. Gotta keep the dream alive. Anyway, Drew's the starter and I hope he has the season of his life, because his success equals Bills success. And that's what it's all about.

:mounty:

(i now relinquish the soap box)

Forward_Lateral
04-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Well said. We as Bills fans need to be patient with Losman, and realize that he isn't going to step in and be an impact player for a few seasons. If he's given the right guidance and enough time to learn properly, he could end up being a very good QB. If he's thrown into the fire ala Rob Johnson, he'll be a failure, it's as simple as that. Let's be patient and let Wyche coach the kid.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 01:06 PM
I think the "Pennington Model" is the way to go. Hell, Drew could outright retire in 2 years if he really wants to spend time with his family.

doug45
04-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
Well said. We as Bills fans need to be patient with Losman, and realize that he isn't going to step in and be an impact player for a few seasons. If he's given the right guidance and enough time to learn properly, he could end up being a very good QB. If he's thrown into the fire ala Rob Johnson, he'll be a failure, it's as simple as that. Let's be patient and let Wyche coach the kid.

That's all well and good but I don't think most fans will wait a "few" more years for some good football. We have not seen any in many years. To put people in the seats they need to do something now. A person I work with has had season tickets for over 20 years. A few years ago he moved up to the Jim Kelly Club at about the 15 yard line. He was always told that there was this long waiting list to improve him position. This year he called and moved to the 50 yard line and was told there were plenty of seats. This is not a good sign. I know where I sat in the goal line club many many people were not keeping their tickets after last year.

justasportsfan
04-27-2004, 01:51 PM
If Drew is able to pull a Kordell and Maddox under MM, there won't be any controversy. If the qb sucks, it doesn't matter if it's Flutie, Brady, Rob,etc. fans will want them out of there. Weren't fans screaming for Kelly to retire after his last year of playing?

Jan Reimers
04-27-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm the original "The future is now guy," but even I realize that Losman is probably two years away. I like to think that better coaching, a commitment to a running game featuring two great backs, another speed receiver and some better TE play will help Drew back to respectability.

Screw the fair weather fans who have given up their seats because we've been down for a few years. I drive 11-12 hours to every home game, and have renewed my sideline club level seats.

Canadian'eh!
04-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Screw the fair weather fans who have given up their seats because we've been down for a few years. I drive 11-12 hours to every home game, and have renewed my sideline club level seats.

WOW... now that's commitment. It's only 8 hours from here and I'm lucky to make 1 game a year. If I ever had enough money I would do this. Kudos.

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
If Drew is able to pull a Kordell and Maddox under MM, there won't be any controversy. If the qb sucks, it doesn't matter if it's Flutie, Brady, Rob,etc. fans will want them out of there. Weren't fans screaming for Kelly to retire after his last year of playing?
Very true...and hopefully, if the team struggles and its not Drew's fault, people are smart enough to spread the blame around.

I'm the original "The future is now guy," but even I realize that Losman is probably two years away. I like to think that better coaching, a commitment to a running game featuring two great backs, another speed receiver and some better TE play will help Drew back to respectability.

Couldn't agree more. Money, work, poor health, and distance from Buffalo are the only reasons I can see as being acceptable for not going to games.If someone has the means to go and refuses to go just because they don't like a player, they were never fans anyway :down:

doug45
04-27-2004, 03:11 PM

Fair weather fans! This team has not played well for many years now and they make the money on the seats that are not being renewed. The Inside seats.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2004, 03:38 PM
I understand how the premium seat revenue works. And I'm as impatient as anybody to have a playoff team again. I simply haven't given up my tickets because we've been down.

Real fans stick it out. Fair weather fans quit like a bunch of spoiled babies when times get rough.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Doug45 - Have you thrown in the towel and given up your seats?

Iehoshua
04-27-2004, 04:08 PM
If he's thrown into the fire ala Rob Johnson, he'll be a failure, it's as simple as that. Let's be patient and let Wyche coach the kid.

Peyton Manning was thrown into the fire. I wish we had a failure like him.

They threw Kyle Boller into the fire, the jury's out on him.

I have to disagree that starting a QB right off the bat is condemning him. You can only learn so much by watching. If Drew ends up like last year stinking up the joint, better to get the kid some experience. At least he can move rather that get bulldozed in the pocket all day ala Bledsoe.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by doug45

That's all well and good but I don't think most fans will wait a "few" more years for some good football. We have not seen any in many years. To put people in the seats they need to do something now. A person I work with has had season tickets for over 20 years. A few years ago he moved up to the Jim Kelly Club at about the 15 yard line. He was always told that there was this long waiting list to improve him position. This year he called and moved to the 50 yard line and was told there were plenty of seats. This is not a good sign. I know where I sat in the goal line club many many people were not keeping their tickets after last year.

I don't know if the economic situation in Buffalo had anything to do about it but I can tell you a personal story. My ex company had seats on the 50 yard line in the Jim Kelly section in the first row. These seats were unbelievable, but the company doesn't look like it will be in business come football season. Along with me, several other people were released and the company is down to about 4 people actually doing anthing to make the company money. Plus, with the licensing fees you have to pay for the seats and all the people losing their jobs around the area, I can see a lot of people giving up seats.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 04:29 PM
If he's thrown into the fire ala Rob Johnson, he'll be a failure, it's as simple as that. Let's be patient and let Wyche coach the kid.

Rob Johnson was a backup for three years at Jacksonville.

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I understand how the premium seat revenue works. And I'm as impatient as anybody to have a playoff team again. I simply haven't given up my tickets because we've been down.

Real fans stick it out. Fair weather fans quit like a bunch of spoiled babies when times get rough. :hi5: I sat through 3-13 and 6-10 since I've had my seasons...and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Rob Johnson played ONE game before he came to Buffalo. Let Losman watch for a year, work him into blow-outs, get him some reps, let him learn. Anyone who thinks that Losman is going to come out and emmediately make an impact is dreaming.
As for Buffalo not being a playoff team, who says they can't make the playoffs this year? I think we all agree that our coaching last season was arguably the worst in the NFL. I have a hard time believing that Bledsoe won't have a great year this year.

BuffaloRanger
04-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Playoff teams have strong lines. Do the Bills? D-Line doesn't get enough pressure. OLine well...I love McNally, but do you know how many sacks the Giants gave up last year?

44. The Bills gave up 51. Most in the NFL. Blows the whole "he took an average line to the SB 4 years ago" arguement out of the water, huh?

Sometimes you need quality players in there to make blocking schemes work. There's only so much a coach can do. Quality players aren't usually found in the 7th round. Who's the backup Center? If the line sucks, I wont blame McNally. I'll blame TD.

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2004, 07:12 AM
The Defenisive line is good, in fact, it's great. Schoebel had double digit sacks and our two tackles are monsters. Just because we don't have a dominant Bruce Smith, that makes our D-line terrible? Come on. There aren't alot of teams in the NFL that have that, and if I remember correctly, the Baltimore Ravens won the superbowl a few years ago with one of the best defenses ever, and they didn' thave a dominant pass rush from their line.

As for the O-line, it will be just fine. Sullivan will finally get his chance to show that he can play, Villarial will be solid, Big Mike should flourish under a good coach (finally), I think McNally has ALOT more to work with here than he did in NY last season.

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2004, 10:33 AM
The Defenisive line is good, in fact, it's great. Schoebel had double digit sacks and our two tackles are monsters. Just because we don't have a dominant Bruce Smith, that makes our D-line terrible? Come on. There aren't alot of teams in the NFL that have that, and if I remember correctly, the Baltimore Ravens won the superbowl a few years ago with one of the best defenses ever, and they didn' thave a dominant pass rush from their line.

As for the O-line, it will be just fine. Sullivan will finally get his chance to show that he can play, Villarial will be solid, Big Mike should flourish under a good coach (finally), I think McNally has ALOT more to work with here than he did in NY last season.

Michael McCrary had sacks in the teens for Baltimore that year and Boulware did too. He's the best pass rushing LB inthe NFL IMO.

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2004, 12:43 PM
My point exactly. If we keep what we have and blitz Posey more, he could get double digit sacks too. Spikes, for that matter as well.