PDA

View Full Version : More hockey questions.......

Valerie
04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
How long is an average shift of a hockey player in the rotation during playoff hockey games? And, how long is the average shift during the regular season?

And, if anyone knows the answer to this specific Leaf question, how many minutes has Tie "Lloyd" Domi played in per game in the playoffs this year?

Thanks in advance! :)

:feedback:

G Wolly
04-27-2004, 02:55 PM
hey valerie domi's playoof ice time this year so far was 108:07.the shifts go until the coach calls for a change.hope i helped:chief:

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Valerie
How long is an average shift of a hockey player in the rotation during playoff hockey games? And, how long is the average shift during the regular season?

And, if anyone knows the answer to this specific Leaf question, how many minutes has Tie "Lloyd" Domi played in per game in the playoffs this year?

Thanks in advance! :)

:feedback:

Ice time varies- a usual shift in a game is 45 seconds- give or take 15 seconds here or there. Defensemen shifts usually last a little longer- they exert less energy per shift (depending on circumstances)

Late in a game or in OT, shifts get much shorter- 30 seconds. Go to any box score, they list the minutes played and the amount of shifts taken

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2004042617

Valerie
04-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks, guys! That's what Ticat was trying to tell me, but I didn't believe him. lol It just seems that I see the same player on the ice for a longer time than that.

One of these days I'm going to fully understand all the different aspects of hockey. Until that day (which, at my speed, could be years from now :dizzy: ), I appreciate all of your help and patience in answering my questions!!! You guys rock!:urock:

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks, guys! That's what Ticat was trying to tell me, but I didn't believe him. lol It just seems that I see the same player on the ice for a longer time than that.

One of these days I'm going to fully understand all the different aspects of hockey. Until that day (which, at my speed, could be years from now :dizzy: ), I appreciate all of your help and patience in answering my questions!!! You guys rock!:urock:

Don't forget-- there are 4 lines- but not all lines and players get equal time.

If there is a power play, the bestn scorers will be pout there- sometimes they willput an offensive guy at a defensive spot to get extra firepower.

the 4th line might get put out maybe every 6th or 7th line change- the top line might be out there every 3rd line change. Sometimes players 'double shift"- putting hte best player on a couple of different lines. it all depends.

Ð
04-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Also, if the play is stuck in your end and you can't clear the puck, then you can't get to the bench to change without giving up a "man advantage" to the team. Sometimes, you'll see a player stay out for 2 or three minutes because the other team keeps possession in the offensive zone without a whistle for a long time.

Valerie
04-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Ahhhhhh, okay, maybe that's why I seem to see the same players on the ice for longer than 30-45 seconds. I'm slowly getting it. Thanks again!!!! :) :) :)

Ebenezer
04-27-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm slowly getting it.

Glad to see the improvment :up:

ticatfan
04-27-2004, 04:00 PM
hehehehehehe

Valerie
04-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog Don't forget-- there are 4 lines- but not all lines and players get equal time.
This 4 line stuff is new to me. I haven't really learned much about the rotation. I'm still trying to understand the rules and penalties. I truly think hockey is MUCH harder to understand than football. But now I've got icing and 2-line pass down pat!!!! :up: And I'm starting to recognize hooking. I'll get it one of these days. :) And, you guys have been very helpful whenever I've had a question to ask and that helps. :)

Ð
04-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Borje Salming used to do 4 lines before every game