PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe Puts Team First By Re-Negotiating

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Somewhere in Venice, California, Buffalo's newest quarterback J.P. Losman is taking notes.

Losman, the second of the Bills' first round draft picks last weekend, is soon to play understudy to Drew Bledsoe's lead. Over his 12-year career in the NFL, Bledsoe has developed into the epitome of a team-orientated player.

Tuesday, Losman got his first lesson when the Bills announced that Bledsoe, the former No. 1 overall draft pick in the 1993 Draft, has re-negotiated his contract providing salary cap room to help the team extend the contracts of some of their current players and to pursue any available free agents that would make the team better.

"I have to applaud Drew for his efforts and his encouragement for us to try and do this," Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said during a news conference with the media. "He's made some concessions this year and over the next couple of years to help the football team."

Donahoe said Drew approached him on a number of occasions letting him know that if there was ever anything he could do with his contract that would help the team, he would be willing to pursue it.

"We want to be fair to Drew," said Donahoe. "He is our starting quarterback and we recognize what he's done here and what he's done in his career. We need to be sensitive to that but we also recognized where his cap figure was headed and it makes it very difficult to give you, as a team, flexibility to do some other things."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=241970

smack541
04-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Well i guess i will be the first to applaud Drew. Yes, he should have done it, but in today’s NFL that type of thing doesn’t happen anymore. He is showing commitment to his career and to the Buffalo Bills. They said with the money we will be able to start negotiating with Schobel, Jennings, or Big Pat. Thanks Drew!! Here’s to hoping you tear it up next year and get what’s coming to you!! :cheers:

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm curious, but how does extending his contract help us extend the contracts of others? It gives us more cap room this year, but takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit of cutting him next year or 2 years from now. Considering that the first year in most contracts is usually the cheapest, I'd say this hurts our ability to extend other contracts.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I'm curious, but how does extending his contract help us extend the contracts of others? It gives us more cap room this year, but takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit of cutting him next year or 2 years from now. Considering that the first year in most contracts is usually the cheapest, I'd say this hurts our ability to extend other contracts.

Yeah we shoulda cut him and gone with a rookie and Kordell Stewart...:rofl:

Basically, instead of $8 million for one season, it's $8 Million for 2 seasons. From what I read- there is no signing bonus or anything that you usually see during "restructuring"- He just took a big salary hit.

If he stinks, it cost us nothing to cut him. If he does well- we have a good QB at the bargain price of $4 million.

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 06:09 PM

Seen any of the numbers? Any idea where the cap will be in the next couple of years?

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 06:09 PM
If their is a performance bonus involved- it's fairly obvious that he would have played well to earn it.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Seen any of the numbers? Any idea where the cap will be in the next couple of years?

The Rochester D&C story on the front page of the zone has some figures in it

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Yeah we shoulda cut him and gone with a rookie and Kordell Stewart...:rofl:

When did I say that?

Do you need to make up statements so that you can disagree with people?

I never wanted Kordell to be our starter.

My statement was that if his contract is now extended into 2 more years, that doesn't seem to do much for helping us extend other's contracts.

Please read a post before treating someone like a jackass.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:12 PM

No, that's why i asked the question and used terms like "usually" in my post.

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 06:14 PM

I was just trying to draw a beat on HR's "gloom and doom" cap projections.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:14 PM

I was just trying to draw a beat on HR's "gloom and doom" cap projections.

Doom and gloom? I asked a f'n question and that's doom and gloom?

I said we get more cap room this year, but probably at the cost of cap room in the future. Where's the error in logic in that? Where's the doom and gloom?

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:36 PM

It only mentions the savings this year, nothing about what the cap hit is for upcoming years. I thought extensions for other players would impact upcoming years more than this year, thus the reason I asked my question.

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Okay, "gloom and doom" may have been a little strong. Hair-splitting has never been my forte. However, when you said..."takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit..." I just kinda figured you had some information about the deal that none of the rest of us are privvy to. And since you stated that the first year of the deal is "usually" the cheapest (which I do not dispute), you go on to conclude "...this hurts our ability to extend other contracts." Sounds rather pessimistic, don't you think?

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 06:43 PM
It only mentions the savings this year, nothing about what the cap hit is for upcoming years. I thought extensions for other players would impact upcoming years more than this year, thus the reason I asked my question.

I'm not sure where I saw it- but it was 4 million this year, 4.5 million the following

justasportsfan
04-27-2004, 06:50 PM
God I hope Drew get's rewarded w/ a sb ring he wants so much as a bill.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Okay, "gloom and doom" may have been a little strong. Hair-splitting has never been my forte. However, when you said..."takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit..." I just kinda figured you had some information about the deal that none of the rest of us are privvy to. And since you stated that the first year of the deal is "usually" the cheapest (which I do not dispute), you go on to conclude "...this hurts our ability to extend other contracts." Sounds rather pessimistic, don't you think?

I don't think it sounds pessimistic if you're not only looking at the negative (wow, I think I went for a triple negative on that one - let's re-word to: if you're not just looking for something pessimistic, you won't see it as a pessimistic thread - I think you had your mind made up before reading it that I was against the move). You completely overlook the part where I said "It gives us more cap room this year". Everyone on this thread is talking about this helping us to extend contracts, but I don't think this helps us out in that way, I think it helps us out immediately at the cost of the long-term. There's a trade-off for everything, and I'm just wondering if people are misinterpreting what happened.

helmetguy
04-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Oh, I agree it helps immediately. Without knowing the details of the contract, but knowing that the $7 million roster bonus is gone, I would say that there is some savings there, as well. Judging from the comments I read from TD and DB, I get a sense that the next two years of the deal are, indeed, cap friendly. Finally, having seen TD's handling of cap issues-both in Pittsburgh and in Buffalo-there is every indication that the entire deal would have positive cap implications. Any savings we can get from any player at any time is a help. And no, I did not overlook your opening statement.

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
God I hope Drew get's rewarded w/ a sb ring he wants so much as a bill.

This year or next :up:

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 08:08 PM
As in the other thread, I said something to the effect of that I heard on WNSA that this is a NEW three year deal, that the original deal was basically null and void. That we now have Bledsoe's rights through 2006 only and that it helps a lot with the cap. I also heard something to the effect of the bonuses that are involved are "team incentives" which would be more indicative of wins than by TDs and Ints and yardage.

elltrain22
04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
:cool:

doug45
04-27-2004, 09:48 PM
How did he put the team first. If he didn't do it he would be retired. This was so he could keep playing. I know this is hard to take but it is the reality here. He may have been petty good at one time but that was years ago, The last several years he has been worse each year as he gets older.

Tatonka
04-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
I also heard something to the effect of the bonuses that are involved are "team incentives" which would be more indicative of wins than by TDs and Ints and yardage.

thank god.. because if his bonuses were paid based on tds, and taken away based on ints, he would owe money. :snicker:

:jk: chill out drew freaks.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by doug45
How did he put the team first. If he didn't do it he would be retired. This was so he could keep playing. I know this is hard to take but it is the reality here. He may have been petty good at one time but that was years ago, The last several years he has been worse each year as he gets older.

I guess anything short of just quitting would satisfy ya.....

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I guess anything short of just quitting would satisfy ya.....

It's really sad isn't it. People ***** about him making too much money so he takes a pay cut but people will find something else to ***** about. He'll throw 30 td's and only 8 int's but he'll get credit taken away from him by saying it was the system. He'll never win with some of you.

Tatonka
04-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
It's really sad isn't it. People ***** about him making to much money money so he takes a pay cut but people will find something else to ***** about. He'll throw 30 td's and only 8 int's but he'll get credit taken away from by saying it was the system. He'll never win with some of you.

if bledsoe threw 30 tds and double that in ints... i would get his name inked on my ass! :D

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
if bledsoe threw 30 tds and double that in ints... i would get his name inked on my ass! :D

:rofl:

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 10:02 PM

It's really sad isn't it. People ***** about him making too much money so he takes a pay cut but people will find something else to ***** about. He'll throw 30 td's and only 8 int's but he'll get credit taken away from him by saying it was the system. He'll never win with some of you.

As long as he wins with the Bills. A lot. :D

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

I just hope it wouldn't say Bled on one cheek and so on the other. :D

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Yeah...you have to wonder when it stops being hoping what's best for the team and starts becoming a personal grudge. :cynic:

doug45
04-28-2004, 07:01 AM

It's really sad isn't it. People ***** about him making too much money so he takes a pay cut but people will find something else to ***** about.

I have never said a word about the money. If he could win I wouldn't care what they paid him. I have always been upset that he has not played well. He has gotten worse over the years and last year he stunk up the place. I would like to see the Bill's win again and in my oppinion we will not do it with Drew as QB. Since I think that it bothers me that he will be around 1-3 years more. If he is playing bad football what is he going to teach the new kid? I say find a QB with some time in that is still on top of his game for the next year or two until this new person is ready.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 05:51 PM

Having seen the #'s I've seen (3 yrs for 19 mil), I still have the same questions. I don't know what the third year of that deal is worth, so I don't know if it's one of those 2 yrs plus you're cut deals, but 19 mil over 3 yrs is still overpaying for Drew if you ask me.

I'd like to see how this helps us extend anyone's contract versus cutting him and signing someone like Kerry Collins for 2 years (Collins isn't great either, but if everything else is solid, he has taken a team to the SB as well).

ParanoidAndroid
04-28-2004, 06:34 PM
If I remember correctly, Bledsoe played well during the 2001 season before he was injured. Brady came in and played a bit better and they were winning. When Brady had to sit out of the AFC Championship game, Drew came in and made a case to start the Superbowl. He played a great game. In 2002 as a Bill, all he did was lead the league in passing yards most of the season. Last year, the ENTIRE OFFENSE was running around like chickens with their head cut off. So, naturally, out came the Bledsoe haters.
Bash Drew all you want but in the process you make yourseves look like a bunch of whiny 7-year-old sore losers. The guy took a pay-cut. Give him his props and move on.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
call me a drew basher all you want. At over 6 mil per year, I still think Bledsoe is overpaid.

and andy, your memory isn't that great. in the AFC championship game, drew didn't play well, he had one or two good drives and that's it. He didn't even complete 50% of his passes.

2002 he had a great 8 games or so, but since then he's done nothing.

As far as 2003, Henry played great. The OL played putrid. Moulds was injured. Drew was healthy and played bad. Some of that is probably on the coaches, but if you think he is blameless you're fooling yourself.

Yes, he took a paycut, but only if you think that the 7 mil option was going to be picked up. I'm a realist and I can say with confidence that it wasn't going to be. Instead, Drew turned down what he was guaranteed this year (I believe that was 8 or 9 mil) and having to be on the market next year and took 19 mil over 3 with 7 mil guaranteed. Not a huge difference and something that I would hardly call a paycut.

helmetguy
04-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
I just hope it wouldn't say Bled on one cheek and so on the other. :D

Then it would read:

BLED O SOE

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Having seen the #'s I've seen (3 yrs for 19 mil), I still have the same questions. I don't know what the third year of that deal is worth, so I don't know if it's one of those 2 yrs plus you're cut deals, but 19 mil over 3 yrs is still overpaying for Drew if you ask me.
That's what it sounds like...with the first two years being relatively low...I think we'll only have Bledsoe through 2005.

I'd like to see how this helps us extend anyone's contract versus cutting him and signing someone like Kerry Collins for 2 years (Collins isn't great either, but if everything else is solid, he has taken a team to the SB as well).

Problem with that is that Bledsoe has built a rapport with the team and timing with the WRs. Bringing in a new starting QB late in the game really won't make any improvements.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
That's what it sounds like...with the first two years being relatively low...I think we'll only have Bledsoe through 2005.

Where did you hear that? That'd make me feel a lot more comfortable about this. Normally it's only longer-term deals with bigger SB's that are built like that.

Originally posted by The_Philster
Problem with that is that Bledsoe has built a rapport with the team and timing with the WRs. Bringing in a new starting QB late in the game really won't make any improvements.

I think we can sidestep that rapport thing a lot. We've got extra mini-camps since we have a new head coach. Plus, Collins, Moulds, and Shaw are all veterans who have also had to adjust to a lot of different players before, so I don't think it's something that would give them a lot of trouble. Also, Mularkey has taken a new QB in and made him successful quickly in his offense before(Maddox).

Also, as I said, I think Collins would be cheaper. As far as performance, I'd expect about the same from either one - that's why I'd go for the cheaper one.

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Where did you hear that? That'd make me feel a lot more comfortable about this. Normally it's only longer-term deals with bigger SB's that are built like that.
Nowhere...just going off a gut feeling. The signing bonus isn't that large, I don't believe...$3.9M or something? I really haven't seen details on the contract so far but my understanding is that it's backloaded (not to the extent that Butler used to do, but backloaded nonetheless). Add into that the fact that Losman should be ready to start full-time in 2006 (the Oilers did it that way with McNair..worked him in gradually the first 2 years and made him starter the 3rd year), and at this time, I'd be surprised to see Bledsoe in Buffalo past 2005.

I think we can sidestep that rapport thing a lot. We've got extra mini-camps since we have a new head coach. Plus, Collins, Moulds, and Shaw are all veterans who have also had to adjust to a lot of different players before, so I don't think it's something that would give them a lot of trouble. Also, Mularkey has taken a new QB in and made him successful quickly in his offense before(Maddox).
The whole thing I find wrong with that idea is that mini-camps are already happening. If we were to bring in someone else, it would have to be quick. Earlier in the year, I think it might not be as bad an idea. As far as Mularkey adapting Maddox quickly, he was actually in Pittsburgh the year before when Kordell was the starter. And before anyone brings up Kordell, the offense that Mularkey ran was the same one that Gilbride ran in Pittsburgh before him with fewer reads to make being the biggest difference. In fact, Gilbride had already started to "dumb down" the offense before he left.