X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bledsoe Puts Team First By Re-Negotiating

Somewhere in Venice, California, Buffalo's newest quarterback J.P. Losman is taking notes.

Losman, the second of the Bills' first round draft picks last weekend, is soon to play understudy to Drew Bledsoe's lead. Over his 12-year career in the NFL, Bledsoe has developed into the epitome of a team-orientated player.

Tuesday, Losman got his first lesson when the Bills announced that Bledsoe, the former No. 1 overall draft pick in the 1993 Draft, has re-negotiated his contract providing salary cap room to help the team extend the contracts of some of their current players and to pursue any available free agents that would make the team better.

"I have to applaud Drew for his efforts and his encouragement for us to try and do this," Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said during a news conference with the media. "He's made some concessions this year and over the next couple of years to help the football team."

Donahoe said Drew approached him on a number of occasions letting him know that if there was ever anything he could do with his contract that would help the team, he would be willing to pursue it.

"We want to be fair to Drew," said Donahoe. "He is our starting quarterback and we recognize what he's done here and what he's done in his career. We need to be sensitive to that but we also recognized where his cap figure was headed and it makes it very difficult to give you, as a team, flexibility to do some other things."

• smack541
    • Apr 2003

Well i guess i will be the first to applaud Drew. Yes, he should have done it, but in today’s NFL that type of thing doesn’t happen anymore. He is showing commitment to his career and to the Buffalo Bills. They said with the money we will be able to start negotiating with Schobel, Jennings, or Big Pat. Thanks Drew!! Here’s to hoping you tear it up next year and get what’s coming to you!!

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

I'm curious, but how does extending his contract help us extend the contracts of others? It gives us more cap room this year, but takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit of cutting him next year or 2 years from now. Considering that the first year in most contracts is usually the cheapest, I'd say this hurts our ability to extend other contracts.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules
        I'm curious, but how does extending his contract help us extend the contracts of others? It gives us more cap room this year, but takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit of cutting him next year or 2 years from now. Considering that the first year in most contracts is usually the cheapest, I'd say this hurts our ability to extend other contracts.

Yeah we shoulda cut him and gone with a rookie and Kordell Stewart...

Basically, instead of $8 million for one season, it's $8 Million for 2 seasons. From what I read- there is no signing bonus or anything that you usually see during "restructuring"- He just took a big salary hit.

If he stinks, it cost us nothing to cut him. If he does well- we have a good QB at the bargain price of $4 million.

Comment

• helmetguy
          Touch the helmet for luck
          • Sep 2002

Seen any of the numbers? Any idea where the cap will be in the next couple of years?
          Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
          And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

If their is a performance bonus involved- it's fairly obvious that he would have played well to earn it.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
              Seen any of the numbers? Any idea where the cap will be in the next couple of years?
              The Rochester D&C story on the front page of the zone has some figures in it

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog

Yeah we shoulda cut him and gone with a rookie and Kordell Stewart...
                When did I say that?

Do you need to make up statements so that you can disagree with people?

I never wanted Kordell to be our starter.

My statement was that if his contract is now extended into 2 more years, that doesn't seem to do much for helping us extend other's contracts.

Please read a post before treating someone like a jackass.

Comment

• HenryRules
                  • Jul 2002

No, that's why i asked the question and used terms like "usually" in my post.

Comment

• helmetguy
                    • Sep 2002

I was just trying to draw a beat on HR's "gloom and doom" cap projections.

-Deep Purple

Comment

• HenryRules
                      • Jul 2002

I was just trying to draw a beat on HR's "gloom and doom" cap projections.
                      Doom and gloom? I asked a f'n question and that's doom and gloom?

I said we get more cap room this year, but probably at the cost of cap room in the future. Where's the error in logic in that? Where's the doom and gloom?

Comment

• HenryRules
                        • Jul 2002

It only mentions the savings this year, nothing about what the cap hit is for upcoming years. I thought extensions for other players would impact upcoming years more than this year, thus the reason I asked my question.

Comment

• helmetguy
                          • Sep 2002

Okay, "gloom and doom" may have been a little strong. Hair-splitting has never been my forte. However, when you said..."takes away cap room in the future, with a possible cap hit..." I just kinda figured you had some information about the deal that none of the rest of us are privvy to. And since you stated that the first year of the deal is "usually" the cheapest (which I do not dispute), you go on to conclude "...this hurts our ability to extend other contracts." Sounds rather pessimistic, don't you think?

-Deep Purple

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

It only mentions the savings this year, nothing about what the cap hit is for upcoming years. I thought extensions for other players would impact upcoming years more than this year, thus the reason I asked my question.

I'm not sure where I saw it- but it was 4 million this year, 4.5 million the following

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

God I hope Drew get's rewarded w/ a sb ring he wants so much as a bill.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X