PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe saves us 4 mill this season...

casdhf
04-27-2004, 05:28 PM
I smell contract extensions :up:

Who's first?

My vote goes to Schobel

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Or would June cap casualties Mike Allstott or Larry Allen look good?

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 05:43 PM
I don't think Larry Allen would look good. I think last year was his last good year and signing him would not be beneficial. Parcells had trouble getting him to stay in shape. I don't think he's going to be healthy for more than 8 games or so this year and will be wheezing from exhausting the games that he does play.

Iehoshua
04-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Hmmm.. Alstott :up:

ShadowHawk7
04-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Allen is 10 times more overrated then RB is.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
Allen is 10 times more overrated then RB is.

I wouldn't say that. When Allen plays and is healthy, he is still a top-5 G in the NFL. It's just that those days are few and far between now. No one seems to rate him as much higher than that.

Ruben Brown on the other hand never seems to play like a top-5 G now.

ShadowHawk7
04-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by casdhf

Who's first?

My vote goes to Schobel

Me too! :up: Then hopefully JJ.

Canadian'eh!
04-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I think we need a blocking TE if there's one out there... certainly Allsott isn't.. Allen may have a season or 2 left but at what cost?

Is there a list of potential cuts anywhere yet?

Iehoshua
04-27-2004, 05:58 PM
I have yet to see any cut lists, although I believe we should see some pop up soon now that the draft is over. June 1st cuts are the next big event on the NFL calendar.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
I think we need a blocking TE if there's one out there... certainly Allsott isn't.. Allen may have a season or 2 left but at what cost?

With Euhus and Campbell, I don't see too many TE's that are worth signing as FA's lining up to sign with us. Most of the blocking TE's available visited and left unsigned (whether our decision or theirs is never known). My point is basically that I think any TE that is going to contribute is already on our roster.

Since most teams have learned how to run the cap now, I think players like Warner, Collins, and Allen are going to be the general type of cap cuts ... overpaid veterans that are beyond their best due date. There may be the odd exception, but there's still a fair number of teams with decent cap space out there, so I'd be suprised if we can outbid anyone.

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I thought Alstott was going to retire after having problems with his neck.

Tatonka
04-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!

we got the best blocking TE in the entire draft.. he weights in at 320 lbs, runs a 4.8 and can catch. jason peters.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
we got the best blocking TE in the entire draft.. he weights in at 320 lbs, runs a 4.8 and can catch. jason peters.

Let's not fool ourselves- he doesn't have hands of glue. He has 21 catches his entire TE career- which was one season.

What worked in his advantage was none of the 225 lb college LBers could tackle him without 2-3 jumping on.

Ca Yd Avg TD Long Yds/Gm
21 218 10.4 4 26 16.8

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 06:32 PM

I thought we were looking at him as a tackle.

Personally, if he's just going to be used on short-yardage situations, I'd rather have someone like Price lineup ineligible than keep someone on our roster that wasn't one of the top 255 prospects in college last year.

Obviously he could suprise and impress at training camp, but right now, I'm not expecting anything from him.

justasportsfan
04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
4 million? Damn , let's take Collins!!!!!!
excuse me for a second

:puke:

Halbert
04-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Slam dunk for TD. Nice job.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I thought we were looking at him as a tackle.

I saw the Bills gave him an inelligible receiver number as well- #67. He was an OT up until last season

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 07:28 PM
I say look for some help at center and get to some extensions so we don't lose key players next offseason

Turf
04-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I could go for some help at center. It is a major weakness IMO.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 08:56 PM
I wonder if Barrett Robbins is gonna get released from Oakland now that they have Grove?

I know he's had some personal problems in the past, but if that's under control, he could be really good.

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 09:05 PM
I wonder if Barrett Robbins is gonna get released from Oakland now that they have Grove?

I know he's had some personal problems in the past, but if that's under control, he could be really good.
It's a thought...they do have Adam Treu as his primary backup so it's not like they'd have no one else.

B-DON
04-27-2004, 10:56 PM
resign schobel asap before he has a career year

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 11:08 PM

The guy walked away from his team the day before the Super Bowl!

I think that's a bit more than some regular personal problems. I think he's a manic- depressive or something more serious. I'm not saying Robbins isn't talented or that he was in control of his actions-but do you want to run the risk of having him melt down a day before a huge playoff game?

I'd consider him a s a backup- he needs a lot more time to prove to me he's all there.

juice
04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

I think that's a bit more than some regular personal problems. I think he's a manic- depressive or something more serious. I'm not saying Robbins isn't talented or that he was in control of his actions-but do you want to run the risk of having him melt down a day before a huge playoff game?

I'd consider him a s a backup- he needs a lot more time to prove to me he's all there.

Now it's called Bi-polar :mex:

Halbert
04-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, it looked like that really messed the Raiders up. It reminded me of the '92 Superbowl when Leonard Smith went out and Dwight Drane had to start. That and the fact that Bruce was playing on one leg had the defense all messed up. Made Mark Rypien look like a HOF-er.

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Yeah, it looked like that really messed the Raiders up. It reminded me of the '92 Superbowl when Leonard Smith went out and Dwight Drane had to start. That and the fact that Bruce was playing on one leg had the defense all messed up. Made Mark Rypien look like a HOF-er.

That, and Bill Callahan not changing the verbage and signals after Gruden left. Safety John Lynch was heard saying after the game that Gruden ran the scout team- immitating Gannon, his inflections, the signals- he said it was like "Having their playbook"

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Or would June cap casualties Mike Allstott or Larry Allen look good?

I like Mike Alstott alot he's a good player he wasn't used much in TB last yr. I think he would work wonders for the BILLS as a FB plus I'm mad at TB for taking Dave Moore away from us we we're going to resign him PAYBACK TIME!!! :lol:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by casdhf

Who's first?

My vote goes to Schobel

We gotta find a way to keep Schobel we let Winfield walk out the door we can't let Schobel do the same thing how about giving him a four or five yr. deal Plus you gotta pay Losman big money also don't you?

The Spaz
04-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Alstott Facing His Toughest Opponent Yet

The eyes of the toughest man in the National Football League were clouded and wet. His voice was halting, something he never is.
Mike Alstott gets the tough duty. He gets the ball when there are 11 angry men between him and the yard and a half needed for a first down, and he never backs down.

But here he was Wednesday morning, and this was his toughest duty yet. He was confronting his own athletic mortality, and it clearly shook him.

It should have.

``Mike Alstott does not get hit like a normal player,'' Alstott said. ``He gets hit in the head pretty much every play.''

One of those hits to the top of his helmet late in Monday night's game against the Colts compressed a disc in Alstott's neck and sent numbness and tingling down the length of his arms.

``I had no control of my body for a split second,'' he said.

It sent him to the sideline for what will be the final time this season. He'll have surgery soon to correct what he called a herniated disc, and, in an eerily appropriate statement considering recent political events, promised, ``I'll be back.''

But will he?<

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGAHGRS8KLD.html

Halbert
04-27-2004, 11:44 PM
That, and Bill Callahan not changing the verbage and signals after Gruden left. Safety John Lynch was heard saying after the game that Gruden ran the scout team- immitating Gannon, his inflections, the signals- he said it was like &quot;Having their playbook&quot;
To be honest I've never believed this. Mainly because it is so rediculously simplistic that it doesn't seem credible that it is possible.

I've always dismissed it as post-blowout preening, but I'd be interested in seeing if there is any evidence that lends more credibility to it.

AndreReed83
04-27-2004, 11:52 PM

Hey, the keyword in your quote is "huge playoff game" which means he helped us make it to the playoffs. Yep, I'd definitely take that risk. And I'm not sure, but doesn't he have his bi-polar under pretty good control now?

casdhf
04-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Treu would be good.

Dozerdog
04-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by AndreReed83
Hey, the keyword in your quote is "huge playoff game" which means he helped us make it to the playoffs. Yep, I'd definitely take that risk. And I'm not sure, but doesn't he have his bi-polar under pretty good control now?

I think the key word in my quote was "He's a F'in Nutcase"

I'm sure the Raiders said the same thing about the Bi-polar stuff. I don't want him.

saviorbledsoe
04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Id take Robbins anyday. We can always worry about the problems when we get to the Bowl :)

Dantheman1280
04-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Why cant we resign schobel clements, and jennings

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 05:27 PM
why so much extra concern about a mental health issue than a physical health issue.

As far as I'm concerned, missing a game because of a mental health flare-up isn't any different than missing it because of any other injury. Woody missed the Super Bowl for the Pats due to an injury, but I'd take him as well.

It's not like he deliberately abandoned the team due to selfishness or anything - he was sick at the time.

ParanoidAndroid
04-28-2004, 05:56 PM
why so much extra concern about a mental health issue than a physical health issue.
It's not like he deliberately abandoned the team due to selfishness or anything - he was sick at the time.

An excellent point in my opinion. Obviously, stress triggers the worst of his disorder. Perhaps the pre-Super Bowl jitters were too much for him. I'd like to think that problem was addressed after the season was over. I don't see any other way he stays a Raider. Moving to another team will mean visiting a new therapist, but I'm sure his meds will help him overcome that. Just make sure he doesn't smoke any weed before the big game. I think that makes it worse.

Tatonka
04-28-2004, 06:06 PM
bipolar is easily controlable.. he didnt take his meds and got into some alcohol.. serious depression kicked in and he was a goner.. it happens.. but he is not a nut case that is going to kill himself.

i saw a long special on him on espn or nfl network not too long ago.. he has a wife and kids and stuff.. he was very upfront about what happened and how he has worked past it. he knows he will spend the rest of his life proving that it was just a horrible day in the life of a bipolar sufferer..

i can tell you one thing.. he would be a HUGE upgrade to our line, and i bet you if he ever sniffed the superbowl again.. he would play harder than anyone on the field.

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 08:32 PM
i can tell you one thing.. he would be a HUGE upgrade to our line, and i bet you if he ever sniffed the superbowl again.. he would play harder than anyone on the field.

If they do cut him, I hope we at least bring him in for a look. I'm sure he can at least shotgun snap.