PDA

View Full Version : Detriot's Penalty

Buffarama
10-22-2002, 07:44 AM
If I saw the highlite correctly, a sack ended the game for Detroit. However, a false start penalty took place which stopped the clock and allowed the FG team to kick a field goal.
If I'm not mistaken, and I don't know how much time was left when the ball was snapped on the sack and penalized play, I think it was 11 secs or so, shouldn't have 10 secs been wound down off of the clock on an offensive penalty under 2 minutes, AND the game clock started? I don't see how the Lions got a chance to kick the FG with so little time left.
This rule was put in so teams couldn't purposely commit a penalty and stop the clock with no time outs left.

Earthquake Enyart
10-22-2002, 07:51 AM
The illegal motion happened before the play started. That stopped the clock and the play didn't count.

Buffarama
10-22-2002, 08:10 AM
I thought there was a rule that stated if a player is injured, or an offensive penalty occurs under 2 minutes, then 10 secs is wound off of the clock, and the clock is then started immediately.
Otherwise, instead of spiking the ball with no time outs, you could just jump offsides or move, or lay down and get injured. This was put in to prevent that.
It happened to Buffalo last year when Reimersma was injured with 26 secs left, and 10 secs were wound off the clock, and the clock was then started at 16 secs.

Buffarama
10-22-2002, 08:19 AM
Here is one clarification of that rule I have found.

2. A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

Buffarama
10-22-2002, 08:20 AM
So my guess is the clock wasn't running. Thats answers my question!!!

Earthquake Enyart
10-22-2002, 08:37 AM
The play before was an incomplete pass. The clock was already stopped.