PDA

View Full Version : On Lee Evans

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Being here in Wisconsin, I called a local sports radio show to ask them about their opinions on Lee Evans.

These are the guys who eat and live Wisconsin football. They've watched from the media box every game that Lee Evans has ever played as a Wisconsin Badger.

I mentioned his speed, his hands, and the knee issue. There seems to be no problem with the knee since he came back from the injury and caught even more TDs than before.

But the one thing that got me excited was this. The radio show guy said he absolutely LOVED Lee Evans. Yes he has great speed. Yes he has good hands. And no the knee is not an issue. But above all, Lee Evan has A TON OF HEART. He plays full speed every down. Never gives up on a play. Never takes a play off. And ALWAYS plays his heart out.

Seems to me that the 13th spot wasn't too high to get a guy with such wonderful character. :up::up:

LtBillsFan66
04-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Nice!

Jan Reimers
04-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Great news, Mr. M. I really liked the kid before. Now I love him.

The Spaz
04-28-2004, 09:47 AM
This guy is going to be good this year!:up::beers:

Michael82
04-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
But the one thing that got me excited was this. The radio show guy said he absolutely LOVED Lee Evans. Yes he has great speed. Yes he has good hands. And no the knee is not an issue. But above all, Lee Evan has A TON OF HEART. He plays full speed every down. Never gives up on a play. Never takes a play off. And ALWAYS plays his heart out.

Seems to me that the 13th spot wasn't too high to get a guy with such wonderful character. :up::up:

So, he's Peerless Price...but with much better character and leadership. :up: :up:

NC-BILLS44
04-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Gotta love him!!!

BillsFanCupp38
04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Im having high hopes for this guy. Rookie of the year!!! Just something i saw at bb.com he is listed as being #84.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
So, he's Peerless Price...but with much better character and leadership. :up: :up:

And hands.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Less height though. Isn't Price over 6 feet?

The Spaz
04-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Less height though. Isn't Price over 6 feet?

No Peerless was 5'11"

doug45
04-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
This guy is going to be good this year!:up::beers:

If this is true he will turn out to be a great pick. Did I hear something on ESPN about him being injured or was that someone else?

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Then he's exactly a Peerless Price without the baggage. :up:

The Spaz
04-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by doug45
If this is true he will turn out to be a great pick. Did I hear something on ESPN about him being injured or was that someone else?

He was injured 2 years ago but this past year he was fine and put up even more TD's this year.

doug45
04-28-2004, 10:45 AM

E was injured 2 years ago but thsi past year he was and put up even more TD's this year.

That's good then, he should be ready to roll.

Michael82
04-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Then he's exactly a Peerless Price without the baggage. :up:

EXACTLY! He doesnt dance for every single TD either. He acts like he's been there before....because he has! :snicker:

Tatonka
04-28-2004, 10:58 AM
yeah.. he did have considerable less yardage though this past year.. and he had 5 tds against michigan state.

he had 200+ yards against them as well, to go with 250 yards against akron.

but regardless, i like the guy alot and he doesnt show boat.. like fitzgerald.. he just puts the ball down on the ground after he scores and walks away.

The Spaz
04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
yeah.. he did have considerable less yardage though this past year.. and he had 5 tds against michigan state.

he had 200+ yards against them as well, to go with 250 yards against akron.

but regardless, i like the guy alot and he doesnt show boat.. like fitzgerald.. he just puts the ball down on the ground after he scores and walks away.

Why do you want to down play his performances? I'm glad he was dominant against crappy teams I would be worried if he didn't.

Tatonka
04-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Why do you want to down play his performances? I'm glad he was dominant against crappy teams I would be worried if he didn't.

i am not down playing his performances.. he had a good yards per catch average against the good teams they played.. i am simply pointing out that almost 500 of his 1300 yards came in two games, along with almost half his tds.

i dont see that as a big knock.. just simply pointing that out. his team and qb have alot to do with that as well.

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 11:28 AM
he doesnt show boat.. like fitzgerald.. he just puts the ball down on the ground after he scores and walks away.
That's a mark of a Buffalo-type of player :up:

doug45
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

EXACTLY! He doesnt dance for every single TD either. He acts like he's been there before....because he has! :snicker:

Now that I like. :up:

tampabay25690
04-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Mr. Miyagi nice post.........

Yea, and he said before the drfat he would love to be a BUFFALO BILL.....I can't wait to see the guy on the field...

Demon
04-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38
Im having high hopes for this guy. Rookie of the year!!! Just something i saw at bb.com he is listed as being #84.

Awsome. I wonder if he's going to keep that #. I want to buy his jersey but i don't want to buy it and then have Shaw get cut or something and Evens switch to 81 or something. lol

RedEyE
04-28-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm excited about picking him up as well. I just hope all of that translates well into the NFL. We were equally exctied about picking up another WR in the 2002 draft, and Josh Reed was everyhing but labeled 3rd WR in last seasons lineup. We even had LSU fans finding there way to the Zone to let us know what a great aquisition Buffalo had made. Reed still hasn't paned out.

However, with Reed, Moulds and Evans on the field, I think this might be one of the best WR corp. in the league.....as long as Evans pans out.

I'm hoping he grabs rookie of the year stats this year as well. :up:

BillsFanInMass
04-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Like Thurman used to hand the ball to the refs classy.

Earthquake Enyart
04-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Being here in Wisconsin, I called a local sports radio show to ask them about their opinions on Lee Evans.

Be careful. They live in Wisconsin. They're not all that bright.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Be careful. They live in Wisconsin. They're not all that bright.
:mad:

Frozen Tundran
04-29-2004, 09:03 PM

i dont see that as a big knock.. just simply pointing that out. his team and qb have alot to do with that as well.

Very much so..keep in mind we play old school Big Ten football here at Wisconsin. We find ourselves some cornfed farmboys over 300 pounds to block and we give it to a back almost the same size who can scamper and we try to run over you. In a good year we'll run for 3000 yards--in a 12 or so game season. If you were to come to Wisconsin and run for 300 yards you wouldn't crack our top three individual games in the record books. (Billy Marek,'74-Ron Dayne '96, Anthony Davis, '02) If our running game is working it never even *occurs* to us to throw the ball. In our Ohio State game we threw 10 times, against Illinois it was 13. Our tight end caught a grand total of one pass all year, he's just a tackle with legs.

It's tough for recivers to put up big numbers when it always a handoff to the running back. Larry Fitzgerald's QB threw over 400 times last season

Tatonka
04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
that was all my point was.. i was well aware that wisconsin is not a heavy passing team.. i didnt mean to come across as i was dissing the guy.. i have very happy with the pick. he definately has the attitude of a winner. much better for buffalo than peerless was, with all the skill, if not more.

Frozen Tundran
04-29-2004, 10:37 PM
that was all my point was.. i was well aware that wisconsin is not a heavy passing team.. i didnt mean to come across as i was dissing the guy.. i have very happy with the pick. he definately has the attitude of a winner. much better for buffalo than peerless was, with all the skill, if not more.

Fair enough, I was just pointing out he wasn't in a situation where he could put up the flashiest stats, but he sure did all he could when we did throw it. His season in '01 broke not only the Wisconsin record, but also the Big Ten Record. It's not held by some stud outta Michigan or Ohio State, it's held by Lee Evans.

One thing you're gonna love about him is he just steps up to the plate in the important games. When I grew up the Badgers weren't real good, and lost every year to Ohio State until '81 by score of 56-0. They broke our hearts numerous times when we though we were getting good and showed us we weren't quite ready for prime time. In '82 we beat them in their house for the first time since 1912, which gives you an idea of how a lot of our history with them goes. Even when we won the Rose Bowl in '93 we couldn't manage more than a tie with those miserable Buckeyes. We're like 10-93-2 against them all time.

Then Lee Evans arrives on the scene and we beat them two times in three years--both because he caught long TD passes in the closing minutes of the fourth Quarter. The second time it was against the reigning national champions with their record-breaking winning streak. He doesn't dance around in the end zone, you do all the dancing in the barroom or the living room high-fiving everyone around you as you win an important game against a hated foe due to his heroics.

:jill:

Another is his way of dominating another good team you need to beat, like he did against Michigan State for us. Someone like maybe the Jets he'll figure out and give them a facebath in the yellow snow every time he plays them. Lee put up 19 catches, 489 yards, and 8 TDs against the Spartans. He did that in TWO games, not three or four. That's a team we need to beat, and one that gives us fits. Even in '81 when we took down Michigan and Ohio State for the first time in my lifetime we couldn't beat those pesky Spartans.

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Excellent Info. on Evans Frozen Tundran!:up::beers: