PDA

View Full Version : What if DB reworked his contract before the draft

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Whether or not you are a fan of DB isn't a concern of mine, but if he and the Bills were able to work something out before the draft, would TD have made the deal for Losman? With no reworked contract, TD was forced to make this move to get a QB.

If DB's contract was settled, there would have been more options for the Bills. He couldn't make a deal with anyone except Dallas, so he had no other optinon if he wanted a QB. Where as he could of waited until June 1st. to get a QB, used the 2nd and 5th pick to upgrade positions and wait until next year to get a QB, or draft a QB in the later rounds as a #2 QB. Not that Pete Prisco knows what he is talking about, but his lead paragraph got me thinking. Something went on behind close doors.

Unless there was a verbal agreement to rework the contract, and Losman was TD's guy all along, but he didn't want to make it known, I don't think he could have been too happy with Drew waiting until the draft was done to redo his contract.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7286155

LtBillsFan66
04-28-2004, 11:37 AM
We would have still drafted Losman. He's the future. Bledsoe is now.

juice
04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Negotiation ploy.. Drew wanted to see what TD had in his hand.. Drew has the owner watching his back.

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes, he would've still made the selection. Drew's career is in a serious downslide and even if he bounces back this year, odds are against him keeping up the strong performances for more than another year or two. Besides, we need someone to back up Drew and Travis Brown doesn't inspire confidence.

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
He had 1 choice of QB in this draft. I'm not against Losman, but I would rather have more than one option. He's the future because he was there.

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Total ploy. Did TD get punked?

BillsNick
04-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by juice
Negotiation ploy.. Drew wanted to see what TD had in his hand.. Drew has the owner watching his back.

:huh:

TD made it clear months before the draft, that drafting a young QB was one of our priorities. This was no secret and I highly doubt that a reworked deal prior to the draft would have changed the outcome.

juice
04-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Total ploy. Did TD get punked?

Maybe, and he had to prove DB was the Franchise QB by taking Evans.. Actions speak louder than words.

juice
04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BillsNick
:huh:

TD made it clear months before the draft, that drafting a young QB was one of our priorities. This was no secret and I highly doubt that a reworked deal prior to the draft would have changed the outcome.

Yeah, but if he drafts a QB with selection 1 then you have a QB controversy immediatly like in NY and Pitts... That was the smart choice WR 1st then QB of the future next.

I would hate to be Pitts. or NY in Training camp, having to deal with divided locker rooms.

After TD put his faith in DB by going WR first, DB then stepped up and did the right thing.. took a pay cut for the team.

It's all a team effort.

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 11:56 AM
TD has been saying that for months. $8 mill due during the season is a darn good reason to start the banter early.

If the contract was worked out before hand, who's to say a WR wouldn't have been taken. It all worked out but it was a little messy.

BillsNick
04-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Yeah, but if he drafts a QB with selection 1 then you have a QB controversy immediatly like in NY and Pitts... That was the smart choice WR 1st then QB of the future next.

I would hate to be Pitts. or NY in Training camp, having to deal with divided locker rooms.

After TD put his faith in DB by going WR first, DB then stepped up and did the right thing.. took a pay cut for the team.

It's all a team effort.

There wasn't a QB available that we would have spent the 13th pick on. TD also stated publicly that Drew was gauranteed the starting job for at least this season, so there would not have been a controversy like NY and Pitt.

juice
04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
There would have been a controversy if he picks Looseman first plus Drew would have been pissed and rightfully so. By choosing Evans first he showed the teams commitment to winning with Drew.

BillsNick
04-28-2004, 12:19 PM
There would have been a controversy if he picks Looseman first plus Drew would have been pissed and rightfully so. By choosing Evans first he showed the teams commitment to winning with Drew.

Listen. there is no way we would have taken Losman at 13. No way. Losman was a late 1st/early 2nd ranking.

Drew would not have been pissed for two reasons. 1- He is a classy team player who understands that the NFL is a business. 2- He knew that TD wanted a young QB of the future.

No controversy. none.

juice
04-28-2004, 12:27 PM
You dont think Losman could have been taken first by the Bills in a trade down scenerio.

Bledsoe made TD make a commitment to him as team leader, I think DB would have been pissed if we took a DE and then QB with the first two picks because that would have done nothing to address the Offensive problems from last year.

That also would have showed that they had a lack of confidence in his ability to lead this team to a championship.

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:01 PM
TD: Your my QB
DB: Well, I need help, a WR
TD: I'll get you a receiver but we need cap help
DB: Well let me see how you draft.
TD: We do have to get a QB in here though
DB: We need a receiver.
TD: But we need a QB to groom
DB: How much do I get in November?
TD: @#*^% *** #^@#%@
DB: That's a lot. I wonder who's going to need a vet QB next year, Dallas, Miami, Chi, Oak, etc.
TD: @#*^% *** #^@ Kordell,#%@.
DB: Hee hee
DB: Let's talk after the draft. We need a receiver.

Ebenezer
04-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Check out the prospects for next years draft...no franchise QBs are apparent yet...Losman (or somebody else) was the pick THIS year.

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Mixed reports on the QB crop for next year's draft. Most say it isn't as talented, yet the same people don't understand why the Bills made a trade to get a QB this year. Go figure. I agree a QB had to drafted this year, there would be no way JP could start next year and the team not feel a decline. Bringing in a vet QB to back JP next year would have been difficult plus they wouldn't know the system. This is the best thing that could of happend. I feel I got a good look at Drew's business side.

CWOUSARET
04-28-2004, 04:26 PM
actually t.d. said that drew offered to re-work his contract before the draft - so is was already a done deal (exact terms excluded)before the draft. this was a t.d. move not to give away what he was going to do. otherwise st.louis or green bay would have moved up and snatched j.p.