PDA

View Full Version : The Sporting News hates the Bills draft

Bill Brasky
04-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Just got my new issue:

<I>"President/G.M. Tom Donahoe raised eyebrows by trading three draft picks (including next year's first round choice) to get an extra first-round pickthat he used to select QB J.P. Losman. A strong-armed, athletic passer, Losman was lowered on some draft boards because of his percieved cockiness and risk taking on the field. But the Bills see those qualities as pluses"</I>

IMO, I want a guy who is going to take risks on the field. Good QB's don't sit on the field with their thumb up their ass and do nothing. It goes on to say:

<I>"Taking Wisconsin WR Lee Evans in the first round was a slight surprise because the position was the deepest in the draft and there some impact defensive linemen available at No. 13. But Evans could give the Bills the most immediate benefit...

The passing game also might get an immediate boost from Tim Euhus, an excellent pass-catching tight end. This draft clearly indicates the Bills are happy with their defense, which ranked second in the NFL last year"</I>

They think we need to find a veteran QB. Gave our draft a C.

juice
04-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Madbomder Maddox?

Novacane
04-28-2004, 11:57 AM
I don't know why they try and grade it already. Who knows what these guys will do on the field

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I don't know why they try and grade it already. Who knows what these guys will do on the field

They have to sell mags.

Bill Brasky
04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
They gave a one line description for every player the Bills drafted. All of them were positive attributes except for Losman...

Evans: "Polished route runner; physical enough to catch in traffic"
Losman: "Highly competitive and confident; sometimes forces throws"

I am no rhode scholar, but doesn't EVERY QB force throws from time to time?

Bufftp
04-28-2004, 12:05 PM
It doesn't matter I hate the Sporting News.

Demon
04-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Bufftp
It doesn't matter I hate the Sporting News.

It used to be really good. Now it's garbage. They predict so much stuff and it never comes true. I had it for 2 years and read all their stuff about my teams but none ever came true. So i stopped ordering it.

ParanoidAndroid
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Draft grades are all about what people say about what people say about what people say about players that people saw on TV or interviewed for 5 minutes. So what if J.P.Losman thinks he's God's gift to football? Jim Kelly thought he was God's gift to everyone and that didn't keep him from winning. Cockiness comes with the territory. How many cocky football players did you know in high school?

tampabay25690
04-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Your right draft grades mean S$%$.... I actually like what the Bills did, Was Evans a reach at 13 well we say maybe now, I personally thought we should take Udeze or Smith DEs. But next year if the Bills offense gets on track and Evans has a good year, everyone one will say TD is our hero!!!!!!

Bill Brasky
04-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Demon

Now it's garbage. They predict so much stuff and it never comes true.

SI aint far behind. I only get TSN because I got a free subscription for 1 year... :snicker:

Demon
04-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman

SI aint far behind. I only get TSN because I got a free subscription for 1 year... :snicker:

hahaha

When i first ordered it, they had TSN staff write "reports" for each pro team... now they only get reports from nfl.com and mlb.com and no reports for NBA or NHL teams. Their stories are weak. I never liked SI either. I don't get any sports magazines anymore, only buy ESPN once in a while at a store whenever theres some good stories in it.

It's a shame too because TSN used to be really nice. Now their stories are horrible and alot of their stories are like if a 6 year old was reading it. lol

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Sporting News blows and I love the Bills draft.

Samphin1
04-28-2004, 01:36 PM
I think most sports mags took a hit when the internet exploded. Everyone gets their news from websites, and tickers and whatnot. Most of their feature stories can be found online in one variation or another. So in order to sell mags, they have to have opinion pieces that get people riled up to see what they will write next.

I don't think it will be long before a few more mags close up shop for good.

SABURZFAN
04-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
They think we need to find a veteran QB. Gave our draft a C.

they gave a higher grade than i did.

B-DON
04-28-2004, 02:38 PM
isnt it a good thing that the only negative thing they said about losman was that he forces throws? something that doesnt always hurt you

SABURZFAN
04-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
isnt it a good thing that the only negative thing they said about losman was that he forces throws? something that doesnt always hurt you

Mikey was reading off a series of negatives about losman at Brennan's.it got so bad that Hemi had to take over.

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
Mikey was reading off a series of negatives about losman at Brennan's.it got so bad that Hemi had to take over.

Oh God, I remember that. :ill: They made it sound like he had all the bad qualities of Flutie, Drew, and RJ rolled into one.