PDA

View Full Version : Biggest question marks for the Bills?

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 03:11 PM
What do you feel are the biggest question marks going into the season? I know there are June 1st cuts but I doubt any of them will be of much help.

1. I think the O-line is clearly the biggest question mark, or more specifically the pass protection it provides. I love the addition of Evans. At the very least, he will stretch the field, which will play nicely into Bledsoe's game. However, DBs are not going to give much attention to Evans if their fellow pass rushers can blow through the o-line and rattle Bledsoe physically and especially mentally. I know McNally has proven himself as a very good coach but I only see a marginal improvement in run blocking talent and no improvement at all in pass blocking o-linemen. Yes, it was clear that the running game needed to be utilized more often last season, but in my opinion a 50 - 50 balance of running and passing is needed to be able to have a chance at winning week in and week out.

2. Coaching on the D side of the ball. I think some nice offensive minds have been added to the coaching staff but I believe it has been at the expense of some good D-coaches. Gregg Williams was an awful head coach but I think he has a very good defensive mind and I really think Lebeau was an intrical part of the D's success. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Gray, but at the same time I don't really think he is proven yet. The D has some real nice talent, but I give a lot of credit to the coaching for making it a #2 unit considering the lack of pass rush and turn over ability. If Gregg and Dick were responsible for a large portion of the schemes, I just hope Gray has learned from them, and has the ability to make in game adjustments.

All in all, I am feeling a lot better about this teams chance for a playoff spot after a great draft and Drew renegotiating. I think the benefits of Bledsoe reneg-ing go far beyond simply opening up extra funds for FAs and extending current contracts.

buffmaniac
04-28-2004, 04:02 PM
My biggest question is the OL. I'm hoping McNally can mold these guys into a solid like he has done his whole career.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2004, 04:40 PM
1. Interior O line.
2. DE.
3. FS.
4. Punt/Kickoff Returns.
5. Place Kicker.

saviorbledsoe
04-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
1. Interior O line.
2. DE.
3. FS.
4. Punt/Kickoff Returns.
5. Place Kicker.

I agree :) But I would throw in Drews play around #2. Yes I said it :) He needs to bounce back.

MTBillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:59 PM
OL by far! If we have a solid OL drew, TH, Moulds, Willis, and Evens are going to run rough shot all over the league this year!

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Biggest Question Mark is obviously the O-Line.

But I really hope McNally turns it around.

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
1. Interior O line.
2. DE.
3. FS.
4. Punt/Kickoff Returns.
5. Place Kicker.

By the way, to clarify:

my choices are the question marks that CONCERN me the most. I agree that FS and DE are definite question marks, but poor play by one or the other or both can be overcome, as evidenced by the D's #2 ranking.

Good call on Place Kicker. A good kicker can be the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 06:23 PM
1. OC and HC (first time both guys have been in their current position. That's a definite ?)
2. OL (both run and pass)
3. QB (been beaten to death as a topic - so it's definitely a ?)
4. Defensive depth (I think an injury to any of Schoebel, Vincent, Posey, Williams, or Adams really puts us into a hole)
5. WR (Evans may be amazing, but until he plays in the NFL, he's still ? and the rest of the WR corps wasn't good at all last year IMO).
6. Special teams except for P.

McBFLO
04-28-2004, 06:45 PM
1. Interior O line.
2. DE.
3. FS.
4. Punt/Kickoff Returns.
5. Place Kicker.

exactly like i wouldve put it, nice post.

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
1. OC and HC (first time both guys have been in their current position. That's a definite ?)
2. OL (both run and pass)
3. QB (been beaten to death as a topic - so it's definitely a ?)
4. Defensive depth (I think an injury to any of Schoebel, Vincent, Posey, Williams, or Adams really puts us into a hole)
5. WR (Evans may be amazing, but until he plays in the NFL, he's still ? and the rest of the WR corps wasn't good at all last year IMO).
6. Special teams except for P.

:stone:

You stole my list! ;)

Seriously though, that is *exactly* (and I do mean exactly) what I was going to post.

Must be true what they say about great minds thinking alike. :D

Bill Brasky
04-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Offensive line obviously. The defense, especially the linemen, need to learn how to get pressure on the QB and make big plays when we need a turnover. It got really annoying watching Drew get destroyed last season while at the same time our D (w/ the exception of Schobel) couldn't do diddly sqaut with regards to rushing opposing QB's. Also needing work is the kicking game. Lindell needs to prove himself this season if you ask me, both on kickoffs and FG attempts... how many touchbacks did he have last year... i dont remember one and that really puts the D at a disadvantage when opposing O's start on the 45 yrd line.

ScottLawrence
04-28-2004, 06:55 PM
The biggest question is if Mularkey sticks to his word and we become a smash mouth football team.

Dantheman1280
04-28-2004, 06:56 PM
We will be fine at Free saftey Coy Wire will show you all that he is the man!!!

smack541
04-28-2004, 07:05 PM
I would have to say the OL. I think we have the talent, but im worried about them jelling together. I also think we will miss Rueben more then people realize. He was a leader on the line. Yes he was overpaid, but still a big part of that O-line.

Bill Brasky
04-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by smack541
I would have to say the OL. I think we have the talent, but im worried about them jelling together. I also think we will miss Rueben more then people realize. He was a leader on the line. Yes he was overpaid, but still a big part of that O-line.

A leader doesn't quit on the team no matter what the reason may be. Screw him -- I'm glad he's gone I never liked him (as a player) anyways... gave up way to many sacks.

helmetguy
04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Like every season, there are going to be question marks; particularly in the Free Agency Era. As far as the biggest one for Buffalo, I agree it will be how the O-line performs. I agree with Natrix that there has to be better balance between the run and the pass, but not just numerically. That is, better mix between the two. One of the biggest problems with KG's approach was that there were very few personnel groupings/formations where the defense didn't know what was coming (and, more often than not, it was a pass play). I think that was the major reason for the pass protection being so bad (with contributions from slow-developing plays, and QB indecision, and no safety-valve stuff). I almost expect to see McNally turn to more zone-blocking from the line this year, which would be a huge help.

The_Philster
04-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
zone-blocking from the line this year, which would be a huge help.

Zone-blocking schemes? :drool: They've been working in Denver for years. :up:

LtBillsFan66
04-28-2004, 08:39 PM
1. Interior O line.
2. DE.
3. FS.
4. Punt/Kickoff Returns.
5. Place Kicker.

Perfect. I would add coaching.

thefixer74
04-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

Perfect. I would add coaching.

And also FG kicking.

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Mascot too. Billy the Buffalo is pretty gay.

cordog
04-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Biggest question mark

Philster getting some from a Jill

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cordog
Biggest question mark

Philster getting some from a Jill

agreed.

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Mascot too. Billy the Buffalo is pretty gay.

:rofl:

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2004, 12:28 AM
So far in each of the past three years, analysts have said something along the lines of "Buffalo has a young, talented offensive line. They're going to be a good group." And every year someone goes down with an injury and players shift. That has screwed up the cohesiveness of the line 3 straight years. If they can stay healthy, I believe the line will perform well.
In response to an earlier concern about Jerry Gray's ability to make in-game adjustments now that Williams and LeBeau are gone, I would have to say that the defense did lose some of its intelligence as far as coaching. However, Gray was responsible for calling in plays and was part of the decision-making. He'll do just fine. One of the big reasons for the Bills' success on D was the players' recognition skills.

BuffaloRanger
04-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Cohesiveness on the O-line is something fans point to as a key to success. But it never happens. Take just about any team and by Week 8 a new OL is starting because of injury or poor play by the original starter. And Sullivan wasn't hurt last year, Puccilo was chosen over him to start the season.

Specific Questions...

1. Interior O-line play?
2. Drew's play in the new offensive game-plan?
3. Can the D produce Take-Aways?
4. Coaches ability to make adjustments on game day?
5. Can Kicker make a pressure kick?

John Doe
04-29-2004, 06:27 AM
A question for me is how well Willis McGahee plays. If he is back at full strength he will be huge as a third down back:

He is a very good blocker for picking up the blitz, and the defense will have to respect his running ability as well as his receiving on long yardage situations.

don137
04-29-2004, 06:48 AM
-Pass blocking: I feel comfortable with run blocking under McNally however I am still nervous about pass protection.

-Evans rookie lumps: One of the most difficult things rookie WRs need to adjust to is how to avoid getting jammed at the line of scrimmage. If he can't avoid getting jammed then we lose out on his speed because Bledsoe won't have time for him to get down field to unleash the ball.

-Game day decisions by coach: I feel comfortable with this coachong getting the team ready. Game day decisions and adjustments are an unknown.

-Creating turnovers- The Bills need to create more turnovers. Losing stone hands Winfield may help but we also lose an excellant tackler.

-LDE- Kelsey or Denney. One of them needs to step it up.

-Kicker- Not too impressed last year.

-Bledsoe- Can Mcnally line protect Bledsoe enough so Drew can shine. Also can Bledsoe avoid fumbling so much.

- Will sections 122 and 123 still be the quiet sections of RWS on gameday :jk:

doug45
04-29-2004, 09:26 AM
DREW of course. We have made improvements and now it is put up or get out. I hope he makes me eat my words, I really do, and he will have his chance.