PDA

View Full Version : So, you got $4.3 Million to spend on a QB...who will it be...

Ebenezer
04-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Drew Bledsoe has renegotiated his contract. According to reports his new cap number for 2004 is $4.3 mil...almost a $4mil savings.

Let's assume that you are TD and $4.3 mil is your magic number. That is the maximum you spend on a QB. Seeing what is out there and guessing at who might be released come 6/1, who would you want as the Bills QB?

Remember, if you contact Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner or whomever they are going to know that you are not going to go with Drew Bledsoe...that means they get an advantage in negotiations. They are also coming off of large contracts so the argument that they will play for the vet's minimum will not fly.

:feedback:

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:05 PM
I voted for DB because he knows the system, Warner in outdoor games??? Not a chance. Collins uh no, Brees not enough to go on although he will either be a Hassleback or a Rick Mirer. JP what's the going rate for a late 1st round QB who's agent knows the Bills went after him in a trade?

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2004, 04:07 PM
With the new coaching staff, no one knows the system anymore other than Bobby Shaw.

LABillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Huh?

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Huh?
New coaching staff....Mike Mularkey....new offensive system.....

:huh:

Shiny Chicken
04-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Why would Shaw know it... didn't he come from Jax?

Tatonka
04-28-2004, 04:40 PM
shaw was in pitt.. but not when MM was running the offense.

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Drew, no doubt. Keep some stability. But I wouldn't object to Losman getting a shot mid-season if Bledsoe looks completely hopeless out there.

MTBillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:53 PM
I said JP...he's are stud QB of the future. In addition to that, Drew is already under contract and is a Bill for the next few years anyways. Any of the other guys besides JP have had their chance to shine and now it's time for them to move on.

MTBillsFan
04-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by MTBillsFan
I said JP...he's are stud QB of the future. In addition to that, Drew is already under contract and is a Bill for the next few years anyways. Any of the other guys besides JP have had their chance to shine and now it's time for them to move on.

Whoops, when I said he's are stud QB, I really meant to say OUR...sorry it's been a long few weeks leading up to finals

ScottLawrence
04-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I say just leave Losman at the number 2 QB... Bledsoe usually never goes down(knock on wood).

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Good question. :)

I'm not sure why JP is on that list however. We just drafted him so its not like we would choose to pay him the $4.3M instead of paying Drew. He's here to stay no matter what (at least for the next 3-4 years barring a trade).

But as for the other choices....throwing reality to the wind as far as what we really could get him for...I would take Warner at $4.3M over Drew. I stand by my statement that if he is given the chance this year he will surprise alot of people.

BillsFanInMass
04-28-2004, 05:08 PM
If I was running things it wouldnt have come to this. I would have scrapped bledsoe and made a strong play for Mark Brunell and got him before Washington. Brunell would be Awesome with our receivers and backs we would win the next 3 super bowls. Not only that he would be a better teacher for Losman they play the same style. But its too late now.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Why only the 4.3 this year? Drew didn't sign a one-year contract, he signed a 3-year contract that totals 19 mil. He actually ends up getting about 7 mil this year (from what I've heard, it's 3 mil base plus 3.9 SB), the cap hit is the only thing that's 4.3 mil this year.

I don't think I'd commit 3 years to any of those, I'd prefer a 2-year commitment and then sign a <b>backup</b> QB in year 3. For 2 years, I'd have chosen Kerry Collins first and I think he can be had for 2 years on a cheaper annual basis than what we're paying Drew for 3.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2004, 05:42 PM
I'd spend it on the O line, DE, or FS.

STAMPY
04-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Ya we need a stud FS... Coy Wire can't cover ME

Tatonka
04-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Good question. :)

I'm not sure why JP is on that list however. We just drafted him so its not like we would choose to pay him the $4.3M instead of paying Drew. He's here to stay no matter what (at least for the next 3-4 years barring a trade).

But as for the other choices....throwing reality to the wind as far as what we really could get him for...I would take Warner at $4.3M over Drew. I stand by my statement that if he is given the chance this year he will surprise alot of people.

warners hand is done.. he cant hold the ball right anymore and he just isnt the same qb.. he hasnt been since it happened over 2 years ago.

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
Ya we need a stud FS... Coy Wire can't cover ME

stampede, can you give me one bit of evidence to prove your point? i think that your statement is a bunch of ****.. i truely do... i am not attacking you personally, but that post pisses me off, because wire has done exactly what he has been asked to do ever since he has been on the bills and he has never played bad at any position. he droped one friggen pass break up in the last game of the season against NE, but he was in the right position to make the INT.. other than that.. you have never seen him play FS, so how can you make such a bold statement?

i cant wait to hear how you back this up...

Iehoshua
04-28-2004, 06:20 PM
How much did we spend on Rob Johnson again?

I say J.P. Might as well see what the kid can do and not bank on the has-beens who are definitely near the end.

Coy hasn't been given a fair shake at any position. I'd like to see what he can do.

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

warners hand is done.. he cant hold the ball right anymore and he just isnt the same qb.. he hasnt been since it happened over 2 years ago.

1,000 ZBs says otherwise. You in? :D

We need to set the parameters for what constitutes "recovered" however. Any suggestions?

DraftBoy
04-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

stampede, can you give me one bit of evidence to prove your point? i think that your statement is a bunch of ****.. i truely do... i am not attacking you personally, but that post pisses me off, because wire has done exactly what he has been asked to do ever since he has been on the bills and he has never played bad at any position. he droped one friggen pass break up in the last game of the season against NE, but he was in the right position to make the INT.. other than that.. you have never seen him play FS, so how can you make such a bold statement?

i cant wait to hear how you back this up...

Ill help him. Coy's knock ever since he was in college has always been the boy can hit but he cant catch the ball. Yea Coy has worked his ass off, but he is yet to prove the reports diffrently. So why should I or anybody else give him the benefit of the doubt on something he has never been able to do. Now I turn the question around on you T. My side has been proved through college and into the pros he has never had good hands can you show me any physical proof to show that he has improved them or that he understands the FS mentaility? He'll be one hell of a SS but at FS? I dont think so. Im asking you seriously what makes you think Coy can be a good FS, his work ethic? Come on you and I both know about people with good work ethic in the draft. Also known as workout warriors. Sometimes the hard work just doesnt transfer. Just my 2cents.

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 07:35 PM
I won't try to defend Coy's hands because I really don't know the deal. But Winfield has crap hands yet is considered one of the better corners in the league. Isn't it possible for a FS to have the same situation, e.g., be very effective without making INTs?

Not jabbing...just thinking out loud...

Personally I do think he is probably better suited as SS given his hard hitting, but hey...if he can learn to cover, it would make WRs a bit jumpy knowing they could get creamed by either safety at any given time.

Dozerdog
04-28-2004, 07:37 PM
This is a silly poll.

Let's see- I'd sign Brett favre, Tom Brady, and Mike Vick to minimum contracts- and spend the rest on Julius Peppers- (at minimum, of course)

DraftBoy
04-28-2004, 07:39 PM
FS are notoriously have to play a CF type posistion in the zone. Where the are forced to make a play on the ball if possible. Because the corner is playing the man. So I would want a FS who can catch the ball in the air not one who would rather hit the man. I want the pick not the big hit. Just my preference.

DraftBoy
04-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
This is a silly poll.

Let's see- I'd sign Brett favre, Tom Brady, and Mike Vick to minimum contracts- and spend the rest on Julius Peppers- (at minimum, of course)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!:cloud9:

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
I won't try to defend Coy's hands because I really don't know the deal. But Winfield has crap hands yet is considered one of the better corners in the league. Isn't it possible for a FS to have the same situation, e.g., be very effective without making INTs?

I don't think so ... FS is where most teams get all their INTs from. Corners can be expected to chip in 1 or 2, maybe up to 4 a year ... but most teams outside of WNY get at least 4 INTs a year from the FS.

I think a corner does his job if the other receiver doesn't have one of his average days.

However, IMO, a FS needs to make plays, not just prevent them.

DraftBoy
04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

I don't think so ... FS is where most teams get all their INTs from. Corners can be expected to chip in 1 or 2, maybe up to 4 a year ... but most teams outside of WNY get at least 4 INTs a year from the FS.

I think a corner does his job if the other receiver doesn't have one of his average days.

I concur 100%

STAMPY
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
like i was saying coy wire has a reputation at making hits, no picks. Besides that point he's not good at breaking up passes either. He is just a bad cover safety and is better suited to be a baxckup for lawyer milloy, and once lawyer retires can step in. Better at ss position. i think wire is awful to be honest, just awful

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 07:51 PM

That makes sense. I can see your point.

Well, I like Coy alot so I hope he is able to make the transition. If he can somehow snatch a few balls (yeah, I know) I think everything else he has to offer is great (speed, motor, work ethic, drive, hitting)

Ebenezer
04-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
If I was running things it wouldnt have come to this. I would have scrapped bledsoe and made a strong play for Mark Brunell and got him before Washington. Brunell would be Awesome with our receivers and backs we would win the next 3 super bowls. Not only that he would be a better teacher for Losman they play the same style. But its too late now.

He's already gone and he's more washed up than DB.

Originally posted by Dozerdog
This is a silly poll.

Why? After the 2nd game of the season some of these guys are going to be screaming they don't want DB...this gives them the chance to say who they want as their QB before the season begins...that way we don't have to run around asking them who they would have had as QB...

RedEyE
04-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Why only the 4.3 this year? Drew didn't sign a one-year contract, he signed a 3-year contract that totals 19 mil. He actually ends up getting about 7 mil this year (from what I've heard, it's 3 mil base plus 3.9 SB), the cap hit is the only thing that's 4.3 mil this year.

I don't think I'd commit 3 years to any of those, I'd prefer a 2-year commitment and then sign a <b>backup</b> QB in year 3. For 2 years, I'd have chosen Kerry Collins first and I think he can be had for 2 years on a cheaper annual basis than what we're paying Drew for 3.

I agree with this, but I would prefer Tim Couch, or Drew Brees instead. Potentially they have more talent, can still be taught and have several years left in the game. However......my knee jerk reaction would be to go with this:

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I'd spend it on the O line, DE, or FS.

BuffaloRanger
04-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Drew restructered to help the team. Helping the team means the O-line.

I hope Drew said "I'll restructure if you spend the money on a player that will prevent me from being the "most sacked QB in the NFL" again. (That doesn't mean replace him - haha)

bills_7
04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
my choice was other for couch but for a back up position.....drew is my starter for this season and hopefully trough 2006....