PDA

View Full Version : Evans: Best year of WR Rookies

juice
04-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Lee Evans might be the Rookie WR that has the best chance to be an impact player in his Rookie Campaign. With the system and players around him Evans might have the best compliment of offensive weapons and proven players to be a high impact rookie.

If Reed can come in with a breakout year at a more natural #3 reciever position and Moulds is back to form, Evans could reap the benifits of playing behind veterans while displaying his world class speed to spread the field and keep Moulds from being doubled.

Of all the 1st rd choices Lee Evans has the best chance to be this seasons breakout rookie. Position coach Tyke Tolbert could be the ingredient needed to make Reed into a Ward type player which could turn Evans into a cross between Bolden and Price.

Learning the WR position behind Moulds will hopefully turn Evans into the future franchise WR to compliment Losman as the future franchise QB.

Hermanator21
04-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I for once agree with you!!!!

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I think he will definitely fit right in, making more of an impact than Moulds or Price did in their rookie years. If Healthy, Moulds is a great #1 and Reed is one of the best slot receivers out there. Evans won't go into the season unsure of where he fits into the WR mix. If he works hard in traing camp and strives to be a great #2 WR, he should be fine.

thefixer74
04-28-2004, 09:20 PM
With his speed,we are as good as any team in the league.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:21 PM
My call for ROY is Tatum Bell (with a close second being Julius Jones). They're both RB's playing for coaches that get their RB's big numbers and neither one really has to beat anyone out for a starting job either.

Unless Evans is instantly a better receiver than Moulds, I will actually be disappointed if he is ROY. In order for a receiver to win ROY, he basically has to be a 1000-yard receiver. If Evans does that, it would mean that we'd have 2 1000-yard receivers (or else Moulds is injured/underperformed which would be back-to-back offseasons and make one wonder if he is over-the-hill), which in all likelihood would mean that we've completely abandoned being a run-oriented team, which is our best hope for success IMO.

Yes, I'm hoping for Evans to be successful. However, I think for him to put up ROY numbers, that would mean that a lot of things went wrong for the Bills.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
My call for ROY is Tatum Bell (with a close second being Julius Jones). They're both RB's playing for coaches that get their RB's big numbers and neither one really has to beat anyone out for a starting job either.

Unless Evans is instantly a better receiver than Moulds, I will actually be disappointed if he is ROY. In order for a receiver to win ROY, he basically has to be a 1000-yard receiver. If Evans does that, it would mean that we'd have 2 1000-yard receivers (or else Moulds is injured/underperformed which would be back-to-back offseasons and make one wonder if he is over-the-hill), which in all likelihood would mean that we've completely abandoned being a run-oriented team, which is our best hope for success IMO.

Yes, I'm hoping for Evans to be successful. However, I think for him to put up ROY numbers, that would mean that a lot of things went wrong for the Bills.

I believe the thread is about best rookie wide reciever not best rookie overall

juice
04-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Jacksonville and Atlanta are also good situations for a Rookie WR to flourish in but I think the establised running game that the Bills have will set this offense apart from those lacking veteran leadership.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
I believe the thread is about best rookie wide reciever not best rookie overall

Ok, substitute ROY for rookie receiver ... there's gonna be a 900-yard receiver this year and I hope it isn't Evans.

My call for that would be Fitzgerald. Green loves the 3-wides and can run a pass-happy offense.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Looking at those highlight rels of Evans in college and seeing break that 99 yarder has me psyched he also can make tough cathces over the middle with his addition and Mc gahee the bills suddenly have become one of the fastes offensive teams in the NFL and I dont think that was ever the case in Bills history we have had some fast players but not overall team speed like this

Tatonka
04-28-2004, 09:31 PM
HR, tatum is a great pick for ROY..

as far as evans.. if he can contribute as much as reed did in his rookie year.. i will be happy.

i would like to see moulds at about 1300 yards
reed at about 1000 yards
and evans at about 600 yards

you may say those numbers are low, but i expect henry to be at about 1200 in yardage, and mcgahee not far behind at 800 or so.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Stats and impact on the team and the effect of team play are two different things lets say Fitzgerald stats are 80 catches 900 yards 5 TDs and Arizona is 6-10
Evans stats are 60 catches 850 yards 7 TDS and Buffalo's record is 11-5 who do you think would be considered the best Rookie reciever??? I'd go with Evans

juice
04-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Ok, substitute ROY for rookie receiver ... there's gonna be a 900-yard receiver this year and I hope it isn't Evans.

My call for that would be Fitzgerald. Green loves the 3-wides and can run a pass-happy offense.

The Cards have alot of recievers down there I wonder if there are enough balls to go around and if they have the QB to deliver. Again I think Veteran players or lack of in Arizona will keep them from being a more productive offense than the Bills.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
HR, tatum is a great pick for ROY..

as far as evans.. if he can contribute as much as reed did in his rookie year.. i will be happy.

i would like to see moulds at about 1300 yards
reed at about 1000 yards
and evans at about 600 yards

you may say those numbers are low, but i expect henry to be at about 1200 in yardage, and mcgahee not far behind at 800 or so.

That right ther is 5,000 yards of offense or over 300 yards a game say Defense gives up 275 yards a game you are looking at at least a 10-6 record if that happens

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Early 90s baby ... Beebe and Lofton at the wides. Even though Lofton was getting old, he still had some burners on him I think. Kenneth Davis wasn't McGahee fast, but he was a pretty quick guy if I remember correctly, but it's been a while.

We had a good offense then, hope the same holds now.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by juice

The Cards have alot of recievers down there I wonder if there are enough balls to go around and if they have the QB to deliver. Again I think Veteran players or lack of in Arizona will keep them from being a more productive offense than the Bills.

One problem with Fitzgerald getting that many catches

Josh Mc Cown

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Stats and impact on the team and the effect of team play are two different things lets say Fitzgerald stats are 80 catches 900 yards 5 TDs and Arizona is 6-10
Evans stats are 60 catches 850 yards 7 TDS and Buffalo's record is 11-5 who do you think would be considered the best Rookie reciever??? I'd go with Evans

I'll go back to what I said and I hope we don't have Evans involved in the offense that much because I think that would indicate we passed more than we should.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Early 90s baby ... Beebe and Lofton at the wides. Even though Lofton was getting old, he still had some burners on him I think. Kenneth Davis wasn't McGahee fast, but he was a pretty quick guy if I remember correctly, but it's been a while.

We had a good offense then, hope the same holds now.

Moulds, Evans and Mc Gahee have more game breaking speed than Lofton and Davis and Beebe made some big plays but wasnt a dominant threat like Evans has the potential to be

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:37 PM

I'll go back to what I said and I hope we don't have Evans involved in the offense that much because I think that would indicate we passed more than we should.

??????? Gonna have to have at least 2700 yards passing to be an effective winning team how do you think those yards are gonna be distributed ????

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:38 PM

Dennis Green has done it before and will do it again. That guy loves to pass and knows how to do it.

People said that Vermeil wouldn't have the talent in KC to do what he did in St. Louis. A few years later, everyone is saying that KC's offense is supremely talented.

Some coaches are just that good.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:39 PM

??????? Gonna have to have at least 2700 yards passing to be an effective winning team how do you think those yards are gonna be distributed ????

1100 moulds
400 from the RBs (including FB's and everything)
350 from the TEs

that's 1850 there.

Shaw and Reed should get 800 combined at a minimum I'd say and that's your 2700 just about.

Again, and this is with an optimistic view that our offense runs as planned.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:41 PM

1100 moulds
400 from the RBs (including FB's and everything)
350 from the TEs

that's 1850 there.

Shaw and Reed should get 800 combined at a minimum I'd say.

Again, and this is with an optimistic view that our offense runs as planned.

How many yards per game do you think the Bills need passing to make the playoffs???

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 09:44 PM

Josh Mc Cown

I agree. Green should have put his love and affection aside for Fitz, and went QB. I think Boldin is a #1. No way can Boldin and Fitz coexist long term, even if Peyton Manning was their QB.

Ben to Boldin could have made a nice combo.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:47 PM

How many yards per game do you think the Bills need passing to make the playoffs???

What the hell sort of projection are you doing? Normally people consider the skills of the players and then project the record. I've never heard of someone saying, we're gonna be 10-6, so that means we're gonna get 3800 yards, so that means that 1000 will be there for Moulds and 850 for Evans ...

I told you what I expected people to do. If it doesn't add up to a damned 10-6 record for you, than maybe it doesn't.

I gave you a simple breakdown that adds up to an easy 3100 or so yards, give or take here and there (I didn't include Evans, but figure he's good for 300 and I had Reed/Shaw combining at a minimum - that was a low-end minimum to give you your magic 2700).

I think a well-balanced performance by the Bills of 3300 yards of passing would be just about right for getting us into the playoffs, maybe 3400. I bet Philly, Green Bay, and Denver all had less than that last year and they were all playoff teams.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Look at it this way the Bills averaged 191 passing yards per gam last year or 3056 total passing yards that was 25th in the league
lets say they move up to 15 th that would be 3400 yards

so say Moulds 900
reed 600
shaw 300
evans 800
rbs 400
tes 400

Thats 3400 yards right there so lets say we have 2100 yards rushing or 500 more than last year that puts us around 8th in the league in offense overall 7th in rushing 15 passing what is so far fetched abouth that using the assumption evans wins the # 2 spot in camp

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2004, 09:59 PM

Very good point. Moulds would likely not be doing well, and the running game probably wouldn't be either.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Look at it this way the Bills averaged 191 passing yards per gam last year or 3056 total passing yards that was 25th in the league
lets say they move up to 15 th that would be 3400 yards

so say Moulds 900
reed 600
shaw 300
evans 800
rbs 400
tes 400

Thats 3400 yards right there so lets say we have 2100 yards rushing or 500 more than last year that puts us around 8th in the league in offense overall 7th in rushing 15 passing what is so far fetched abouth that using the assumption evans wins the # 2 spot in camp

What is so far fetched is the way that your logic is working ... let's see, we have to be better than last year, so I'll say this year we're a middle of the road passing team. Okay, I've now got 3400 yards to work with, where does it go, a little here, a little there, ok that looks nice. Now, on the running side, I've go to do something here, something there, yep, everything works.

We'll get 3400 yards receiving because of the #'s that you put up there for the receivers, not the other way around. And the only reason you really gave for your distribution of yards was the totals.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 10:03 PM
My point is the Defense gave up 270 ydspg and the offense gained 271 ydspg and the record was 6-10
to win more games you need to be lets say 325 ypg offense and 280 ydspg defense which would be approx 125 ypg rushing and 200 yds pergame passing, therfore ther will be more yards per game passing this year does not mean less commitment to the run and Evans could have big year if he wins the #2 job in camp

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 10:05 PM

Josh Mc Cown

Was McCown's performance so much different than Drew's last year?

McCown is in what, his 3rd year, and Bledsoe's in what, his 11th year or so?

McCown has been hampered by loser coaches ... he's finally got a smart one now. He was highly touted when he came in, and I think he's still got a chance to succeed.

I really so no less reason for optimism for a successful performance from McCown than Bledsoe. Plus, the Cards should be a pass-oriented offense as opposed to us, so I say Fitzy puts up the numbers and is on the field more.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 10:06 PM
My point is the Defense gave up 270 ydspg and the offense gained 271 ydspg and the record was 6-10
to win more games you need to be lets say 325 ypg offense and 280 ydspg defense which would be approx 125 ypg rushing and 200 yds pergame passing, therfore ther will be more yards per game passing this year does not mean less commitment to the run and Evans could have big year if he wins the #2 job in camp

You're basically repeating yourself. I don't wish to do the same.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Dennis Green believes in running the ball remember he had Robert Smith who had some big years he isn't a pass happy coach

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 10:09 PM

You're basically repeating yourself. I don't wish to do the same.

Because you dont get the point Evans having a big year does not equal a lack of commitment to the run a commitment to the run will improve the passing game and if Evans wins the #2 job he will put up big numbers not Peerless #'s in his last year here but big enough

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Dennis Green believes in running the ball remember he had Robert Smith who had some big years he isn't a pass happy coach

Why do you keep pestering, leave it be.

Look, I don't have time to do this, it's getting late, but think back to the last time that Green had 3 talented receivers (I'm talking the Reed-Moss-Carter era of the late 90s and yes Robert Smith was there too). That's similar to what he has now (the Cards threesome is damned talented - unproven, yes, and yes, they may never reach the production level their talent dictates, but they are talented). Those were most definitely pass-happy teams ... I dare say almost as much as we were last year. Look at us last year, just because an RB puts up yards, doesn't mean the team runs the ball a lot.

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 10:17 PM

Because you dont get the point Evans having a big year does not equal a lack of commitment to the run a commitment to the run will improve the passing game and if Evans wins the #2 job he will put up big numbers not Peerless #'s in his last year here but big enough

I think we're a team that with our talent at RB's, we should be running the ball just as much as the Packers, Ravens, Broncos, and other similar teams. They don't put up the pass yards you're talking about. And again, it's not your totals that I have a problem with, it's the fact that you start with the totals and work back. ****, I'm repeating myself. Goodbye.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Just because you have alot of passing yards don't mean you are a pass happy team could mean you throw the long ball alot and use the run to set up the pass

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Just because you have alot of passing yards don't mean you are a pass happy team could mean you throw the long ball alot and use the run to set up the pass

Sorry to return, but they most certainly did not do that. They were a pass-happy team.

B-DON
04-28-2004, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HenryRules
My call for ROY is Tatum Bell (with a close second being Julius Jones). They're both RB's playing for coaches that get their RB's big numbers and neither one really has to beat anyone out for a starting jobs. [/QUOTE

what about garrison hearst and troy hambrick?

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I really dont argue your point that Fitzgerald might have a big year and the Bills need to run the ball more and better but if Evans has a big year that does not mean that the Bills will be unsuccesful or not committed to the run

HenryRules
04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by B-DON

what about garrison hearst and troy hambrick?

Ahh ... something different to talk about, thank you. Hambrick is a tool IMO. Before last year, I really thought he was something, but now I think he's no more talented than someone like a Shawn Bryson (a guy who may hold the spot for a year or two, but not one that is hard for a talented RB to beat out).

I don't think that Hearst can take being an every-down back anymore. He's good when he's in there, but i think he's best served as a 3rd down option.

L.A. Playa
04-28-2004, 10:23 PM
One last question would you call the Viking a passhappy team last year

juice
04-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I cant wait to see Evans on a reverse, and catching the quick hitch pass, Clements and Tolbert will need to find ways to get him involved in the offense and take advantage of his worldclass speed.

The Natrix
04-28-2004, 11:06 PM
I cant wait to see Evans on a reverse, and catching the quick hitch pass, Clements and Tolbert will need to find ways to get him involved in the offense and take advantage of his worldclass speed.

Direct snap to Willis, who fakes the hand off to Henry, then tosses it back to Drew who airs it out, hitting Evans in full stride. :up:

juice
04-28-2004, 11:09 PM
I've never been a fan of The Bills and trick plays but that sounds like a winner to me Nate.. Freaky Flea Flicker

juice
04-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by thefixer74
With his speed,we are as good as any team in the league.

Without consitent lineplay we are as bad as any team as well, at least on Offense...

Off The Subject:

What happens if WM gets more yds than Henry because of Fumbling or Injury.. we will effectivly loose any value Henry has gained over the last 4 yrs.. No value for a guy who has averaged over 1400 yds for the last 3 seasons!! That is a depressing thought.

We wont regain that pick that we gave for Losman.. Talk about loosing value in an investment.

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Without consitent lineplay we are as bad as any team as well, at least on Offense...

Off The Subject:

What happens if WM gets more yds than Henry because of Fumbling or Injury.. we will effectivly loose any value Henry has gained over the last 4 yrs.. No value for a guy who has averaged over 1400 yds for the last 3 seasons!! That is a depressing thought.

We wont regain that pick that we gave for Losman.. Talk about loosing value in an investment.

All hypotheticals.

juice
04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
All hypotheticals.

At this point in the OFF-Season pretty much everything posted is "Hypotheticals"

It is a FACT that Henry is loosing value and has since teams filled their needs at RB through the draft.

Maybe you can enlighten us with some Non-Hypothetical Posts since you've already played the season.

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 11:16 AM
At this point in the OFF-Season pretty much everything posted is "Hypotheticals"

It is a FACT that Henry is loosing value and has since teams filled their needs at RB through the draft.

Maybe you can enlighten us with some Non-Hypothetical Posts since you've already played the season.

:rofl:

Philagape
04-29-2004, 03:42 PM
I think the rookie WR in the best position to produce is RaShaun Woods .... he's already the 49ers' best receiver

juice
04-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
I think the rookie WR in the best position to produce is RaShaun Woods .... he's already the 49ers' best receiver

You might be right.. and I also see their Offense really struggling this year so he'll get more than his share of touches.. Maybe Evans will have a bigger impact in the sucess of the team through a playoff run.

juice
12-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Dennis Green has done it before and will do it again. That guy loves to pass and knows how to do it.

People said that Vermeil wouldn't have the talent in KC to do what he did in St. Louis. A few years later, everyone is saying that KC's offense is supremely talented.

Some coaches are just that good.Revisited

I Guess Dennis Green isn't That good and KC is only as good as Preist.

Evans will end up with the Best #s in Yds/ Rec and TD Receptions between the Rooks..with drew becoming more comfortable throwing to him, he could end up with over 800 yds recieving this season, and Moulds over 1100 yds.

EDS
12-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Revisited

I Guess Dennis Green isn't That good and KC is only as good as Preist.

Evans will end up with the Best #s in Yds/ Rec and TD Receptions between the Rooks..with drew becoming more comfortable throwing to him, he could end up with over 800 yds recieving this season, and Moulds over 1100 yds.

Not to burst your bubble (and I am in no way implying that Evans is anything short of damn good), but Evans numbers will not lead rookie receivers. Check out Clayton's numbers. That said, I think Evans was a great pick and is improving as the season goes on. In terms of long term impact I definitely will not vote against Evans exceeding others from his draft class.

Ebenezer
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Not to burst your bubble (and I am in no way implying that Evans is anything short of damn good), but Evans numbers will not lead rookie receivers. Check out Clayton's numbers. That said, I think Evans was a great pick and is improving as the season goes on. In terms of long term impact I definitely will not vote against Evans exceeding others from his draft class.
Is Evans going to beat out the three that were drafted ahead of him? I think that says alot...

now, who the hell said Tatum Bell for ROY???

juice
12-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Not to burst your bubble (and I am in no way implying that Evans is anything short of damn good), but Evans numbers will not lead rookie receivers. Check out Clayton's numbers. That said, I think Evans was a great pick and is improving as the season goes on. In terms of long term impact I definitely will not vote against Evans exceeding others from his draft class.This is ReHash.. Pre-Season Chatter, but I can see Evans having a VERY good Dec. and ending up with excellent #'s.. Like I said he will have a high Yds/Rec and Alot of TDs, plus he might be leading a PlayOff Surge..

Read the origonal Post.

juice
12-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Is Evans going to beat out the three that were drafted ahead of him? I think that says alot...

now, who the hell said Tatum Bell for ROY???Who Indeed?