X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Hypothetical trade question

Dennis Northcutt clearly wants out of the Cleveland Browns organization. The only way the Browns will entertain releasing him is in a trade.

Would you be adamantly against trading Josh Reed (36th overall pick 2002 draft) for Dennis Northcutt (32nd overall pick in the 2000 draft)? Player for player.

Cleveland gets a younger WR with a high amount of potential. Buffalo gets a seasoned veteran that immediatly upgrades their offensive system.
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Reed seems like a team player and not a crybaby. Northcut is one of those that just wants to get paid. I wouldn't be adverse in trying to get him, but not for Reed.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
      Reed seems like a team player and not a crybaby. Northcut is one of those that just wants to get paid. I wouldn't be adverse in trying to get him, but not for Reed.
      I never got that impression from Northcutt. I think he is just sick of the way the Browns organization is being run, much like Couch and some of the other players on the team.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I think Reed will be a much better player than Northcutt, not to mention a better person.

I'm not sure what Northcutt brings that we don't already have in the 10 or so WRs already on our roster.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• clumping platelets

I would considered signing him as a FA if the money was right

Comment

• bills_7
            TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
            • Mar 2004

why not reeds a waste of time....

Comment

• juice
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by bills_7
              Reed is more like a victom of the system and coaching... I want to see what Tolbert and this staff can do with him.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

I think that Northcutt has better all around ability, and after last seasons performance, Reed doesn't seem to have what it takes to make it as a 2nd WR in this league. He was outplayed by several other WR on the team. It wasn't until late in the season, when Moulds was hurt, that he began to up his game. Even then, I questioned his outward performance.

Again, the trade is purely hypothetical, but IMO unloading Reed for an already proven WR is not necessarily a bad thing.

WR is also the hardest position to condition. It takes WR a few seasons to come into their own. Evans seems like a quick learn, but it may be 2 years before he is at NFL standards.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Reed will be a lot better this year with more threats around him. I would only give a draft pick for Northcutt not a player.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                    , and after last seasons performance, Reed doesn't seem to have what it takes to make it as a 2nd WR in this league.

He definately has what it takes to be a #2...maybe even a #1. Remember many were ready to run Moulds out of town after his first 2 years. Reed has far outdone what EM did his first 2 years. Give the kid a chance.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be too hasty to make that trade. Northcutt has plenty of speed, but that's why Buffalo draafted Evans. I don't know a lot about Northcutt, but I had hear one of the raps on him is his hands. Reed had a bunch of drops early last season, but coming out of college he had a reputation for catching everything. I'm of the opinion that the drops last season was a temporary problem that Reed pretty much licked as the season wore on, hopefully permanently. With Evans in the lineup, I think Reed actually is a better fit for the role Buffalo likely wants him to play, a possession guy making tough catches over the middle from the slot position.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Demon
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bills_7
                        So we're willing to give Bledsoe another chance because he took a PAYCUT but we won't give Reed a second chance because this will only be his 3rd season here........... hmm???
                        Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• helmetguy
                          Touch the helmet for luck
                          • Sep 2002

The whole scenario sounds too much "grass is always greener" to me.
                          Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                          And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

I agree in that I think people are being harsh on Reed - especially considering that he was thrown into a Gilbride system that was overly and unnecessarily complex - if Bledsoe had trouble with it, can we really condemn Reed?

One thing I haven't seen much here is a Reed vs Aiken comparison...does anyone thing Aiken might be a stronger contender this year?

Comment

• mightyspaz
                              Short, Furry and Cold
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                              I have to agree. Although I like Northcutt, he seems to be more orientated with leaving then helping.

Originally posted by The Spaz
                              Reed will be a lot better this year with more threats around him. I would only give a draft pick for Northcutt not a player.
                              I definatly agree that reed could have a great year. Not only because of threats, If you think back, Moulds had a second year slump and broke out in his third. The unfortunate thing is that he won't go as a FA. Cleveland won't trade him for nothing. A draft pick might be the answer.
                              ThE MiGhTy SpAz
                              - I remember watching objects fly in my house Jan. 27th 1991 (XXV) as Scott Norwood missed, But I remember holding hands in my living room as Steve Christie scored three points to cap a 35 point comeback victory with Frank Reich at the Helm.

Comment

Working...
                              X