PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical trade question

RedEyE
04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Dennis Northcutt clearly wants out of the Cleveland Browns organization. The only way the Browns will entertain releasing him is in a trade.

Would you be adamantly against trading Josh Reed (36th overall pick 2002 draft) for Dennis Northcutt (32nd overall pick in the 2000 draft)? Player for player.

Cleveland gets a younger WR with a high amount of potential. Buffalo gets a seasoned veteran that immediatly upgrades their offensive system.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Reed seems like a team player and not a crybaby. Northcut is one of those that just wants to get paid. I wouldn't be adverse in trying to get him, but not for Reed.

RedEyE
04-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
Reed seems like a team player and not a crybaby. Northcut is one of those that just wants to get paid. I wouldn't be adverse in trying to get him, but not for Reed.

I never got that impression from Northcutt. I think he is just sick of the way the Browns organization is being run, much like Couch and some of the other players on the team.

Jan Reimers
04-29-2004, 09:44 AM
I think Reed will be a much better player than Northcutt, not to mention a better person.

I'm not sure what Northcutt brings that we don't already have in the 10 or so WRs already on our roster.

clumping platelets
04-29-2004, 09:52 AM
I would considered signing him as a FA if the money was right

bills_7
04-29-2004, 10:02 AM
why not reeds a waste of time....

juice
04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by bills_7

Reed is more like a victom of the system and coaching... I want to see what Tolbert and this staff can do with him.

RedEyE
04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I think that Northcutt has better all around ability, and after last seasons performance, Reed doesn't seem to have what it takes to make it as a 2nd WR in this league. He was outplayed by several other WR on the team. It wasn't until late in the season, when Moulds was hurt, that he began to up his game. Even then, I questioned his outward performance.

Again, the trade is purely hypothetical, but IMO unloading Reed for an already proven WR is not necessarily a bad thing.

WR is also the hardest position to condition. It takes WR a few seasons to come into their own. Evans seems like a quick learn, but it may be 2 years before he is at NFL standards.

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Reed will be a lot better this year with more threats around him. I would only give a draft pick for Northcutt not a player.

Novacane
04-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
, and after last seasons performance, Reed doesn't seem to have what it takes to make it as a 2nd WR in this league.

He definately has what it takes to be a #2...maybe even a #1. Remember many were ready to run Moulds out of town after his first 2 years. Reed has far outdone what EM did his first 2 years. Give the kid a chance.

TigerJ
04-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't be too hasty to make that trade. Northcutt has plenty of speed, but that's why Buffalo draafted Evans. I don't know a lot about Northcutt, but I had hear one of the raps on him is his hands. Reed had a bunch of drops early last season, but coming out of college he had a reputation for catching everything. I'm of the opinion that the drops last season was a temporary problem that Reed pretty much licked as the season wore on, hopefully permanently. With Evans in the lineup, I think Reed actually is a better fit for the role Buffalo likely wants him to play, a possession guy making tough catches over the middle from the slot position.

Demon
04-29-2004, 12:33 PM

So we're willing to give Bledsoe another chance because he took a PAYCUT but we won't give Reed a second chance because this will only be his 3rd season here........... hmm???

helmetguy
04-29-2004, 12:42 PM
The whole scenario sounds too much "grass is always greener" to me.

mysticsoto
04-29-2004, 01:02 PM
I agree in that I think people are being harsh on Reed - especially considering that he was thrown into a Gilbride system that was overly and unnecessarily complex - if Bledsoe had trouble with it, can we really condemn Reed?

One thing I haven't seen much here is a Reed vs Aiken comparison...does anyone thing Aiken might be a stronger contender this year?

mightyspaz
04-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths

I have to agree. Although I like Northcutt, he seems to be more orientated with leaving then helping.

Originally posted by The Spaz
Reed will be a lot better this year with more threats around him. I would only give a draft pick for Northcutt not a player.

I definatly agree that reed could have a great year. Not only because of threats, If you think back, Moulds had a second year slump and broke out in his third. The unfortunate thing is that he won't go as a FA. Cleveland won't trade him for nothing. A draft pick might be the answer.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Demon
So we're willing to give Bledsoe another chance because he took a PAYCUT but we won't give Reed a second chance because this will only be his 3rd season here........... hmm???

bledsoe is some what of a proven player thats why he gets another chance...

when ur jst starting out u have to take advantage of every chance u get....

reed will get another chance this yr maybe not as good as last yrs but he will get a chance.....

The_Philster
04-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Some people said that about Moulds after 2 years.

Philly Zoner
04-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Reed and Evans complement each other real well as #2 and #3. Reed is an ideal slot reciever and Evans can stretch the field. I'm willing to bet that Reed has a much better year--his THIRD. Northcutt doesn't excite me.

plus, Northcutt will cost more than Reed. plus I'd rather see TD focus his creative efforts on the O-line. plus I like to have a Reed on our team for nostalgic value. on that note, I think we should start a letter writing campaign to have WIllis change his name to "Thurman"

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2004, 03:35 PM
No way I make that trade at this point. If after this year Reed stumbles or doesn't improve, then yeah, I'd look into it. But he has definitely shown flashes of some really good talent. This is his year to prove he can do it consistently.

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Philly Zoner
Reed and Evans complement each other real well as #2 and #3. Reed is an ideal slot reciever and Evans can stretch the field. I'm willing to bet that Reed has a much better year--his THIRD. Northcutt doesn't excite me.

plus, Northcutt will cost more than Reed. plus I'd rather see TD focus his creative efforts on the O-line. plus I like to have a Reed on our team for nostalgic value. on that note, I think we should start a letter writing campaign to have WIllis change his name to "Thurman"
I agree, good post.:up: Though I would like to see them spend the money on some kind of a passrusher this year before they do Oline.

The Natrix
04-29-2004, 04:05 PM
No, I would not even consider trading Reed for Northcutt. Reed is a great #3 while I'm not sure what Northcutt is.

McBFLO
04-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by juice
Reed is more like a victom of the system and coaching... I want to see what Tolbert and this staff can do with him.

exactly my thinking...