My theory of why Bledsoe will excell this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

My theory of why Bledsoe will excell this year.

Drew will have a big year, my prediction. An improved oline and better balance in the playcalling will obviously help. However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again. He throws the long to intermediate ball much better to that side than he does anywheres else. He has had his best years with a smaller speed receiver in that spot, ala Peerless Price and Terry Glenn. Last year Reed didn't get it done...lack of breakaway speed, pure and simple. They made a huge error by not putting a speed guy on that side like Coleman or maybe James Jett and kept Reed in the slot. Of course, with last year's coaching staff, where is the surprise there. There is no doubt in my mind that he will have a very productive season this year, mark my words.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

• Fairway To Green
    • Jul 2002

Can we beat the hell out of you if he does'nt?

Comment

• mchurchfie
      • Jul 2002

Yes, I would deserve to be.
      My Band
      daveviterna.com

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
        Can we beat the hell out of you if he does'nt?
        You can beat on yourself. :)

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

If all these pieces come together....

1. WM rips it up so the running game is strong
          2. Evans stretches the field with his speed (agreed, it plays to Drew's ONE AND ONLY onfield skill)
          3. The Oline's play improves so they actually block people
          4. The offensive scheme is no longer offensive like last year

....then yes, Drew should do fairly well. But then again so would any other average QB in the NFL, so it's not really that big a deal.

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mchurchfie
            Drew will have a big year, my prediction. An improved oline and better balance in the playcalling will obviously help. However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again. He throws the long to intermediate ball much better to that side than he does anywheres else. He has had his best years with a smaller speed receiver in that spot, ala Peerless Price and Terry Glenn. Last year Reed didn't get it done...lack of breakaway speed, pure and simple. They made a huge error by not putting a speed guy on that side like Coleman or maybe James Jett and kept Reed in the slot. Of course, with last year's coaching staff, where is the surprise there. There is no doubt in my mind that he will have a very productive season this year, mark my words.

Sounds good to me!

Comment

• Halbert
              I'm Not Normal
              • Jul 2002

I can't help but notice that you avoided making a guarantee. Come to the dark side. It is your destiny.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

We alternate Henry and WM. Once their D stacks up 8 men and tired , we hit them w/ the pass either to Moulds , Reed up the middle or Evans down the rt. side and a TE.

We have to have a running game and then we make them pay. Just like the Jax game.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mchurchfie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                  If all these pieces come together....

....then yes, Drew should do fairly well. But then again so would any other average QB in the NFL, so it's not really that big a deal.
                  There are probably about only 5 QBs in the league with an arm like his that can sling the deep ball like he can when he does have the time and opportunity..I beg to differ.
                  My Band
                  daveviterna.com

Comment

• mchurchfie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Halbert
                    I can't help but notice that you avoided making a guarantee. Come to the dark side. It is your destiny.
                    I guarantee.
                    My Band
                    daveviterna.com

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

There are probably about only 5 QBs in the league with an arm like his that can sling the deep ball like he can when he does have the time and opportunity..I beg to differ.
                      Putting aside that number for a moment (I think there are more than that), you are assuming that just because Evans is fast and can go deep that it will be the *main* reason for Drew excelling this year. (just restating what you said in your original post)

Well, Evans can run blazing go routes all day but if...

1. the running game is not there - hello cover 2 and no open Evans
                      2. the Oline ain't blocking - hello sack
                      3. the offensive plan is predictable - hello INT, sack, etc.

So the point I was making is that yes, a speed receiver "helps" Drew, but only if all the other peices are there. Just look at the second half of 02. He had Price, but the other pieces weren't there and consequently he sucked.

Don't get me wrong - as I said the ONLY thing Drew does well is chuck it deep, so you do need to have that speed somewhere in the lineup to leverage his only strong suit. But I don't agree that it will be the main reason he will excel (if he does).

In fact, one could argue that it may even backfire on the team having a speed receiver. It may make Drew subconsciously cling to his bad habit of holding the ball to wait for the "big" play instead of checking down, which as we know is not good for anyone. Food for thought anyway.
                      Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 04-29-2004, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

Putting aside that number for a moment (I think there are more than that), you are assuming that just because Evans is fast and can go deep that it will be the *main* reason for Drew excelling this year. (just restating what you said in your original post)

Well, Evans can run blazing go routes all day but if...

1. the running game is not there - hello cover 2 and no open Evans
                        2. the Oline ain't blocking - hello sack
                        3. the offensive plan is predictable - hello INT, sack, etc.

So the point I was making is that yes, a speed receiver "helps" Drew, but only if all the other peices are there. Just look at the second half of 02. He had Price, but the other pieces weren't there and consequently he sucked.

Don't get me wrong - as I said the ONLY thing Drew does well is chuck it deep, so you do need to have that speed somewhere in the lineup to leverage his only strong suit. But I don't agree that it will be the main reason he will excel (if he does).

In fact, one could argue that it may even backfire on the team having a speed receiver. It may make Drew subconsciously cling to his bad habit of holding the ball to wait for the "big" play instead of checking down, which as we know is not good for anyone. Food for thought anyway.
                        I think that I alluded to that point in my first post already.......

An improved oline and better balance in the playcalling will obviously help.
                        The deep threat will help the running game, oline, and playcalling as well as they will help the deepball....they work hand in hand obviously. Why such a worry about the running game when you have a back who rushed for over 1000 yards the last two years in a row, despite KG's playcalling, and you add a 230 back who runs a 4.3 forty in McGahee.
                        Last edited by mchurchfie; 04-29-2004, 04:40 PM.
                        My Band
                        daveviterna.com

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
                          Exhausted of Losing
                          • Mar 2004

The deep threat will help the running game, oline, and playcalling as well as they will help the deepball. Why would we worry about the running game when you have a back who rushed for over 1000 yards the last two years in a row, despite KG's playcalling, and you add a 230 back who runs a 4.3 forty in McGahee.
                          Exactly

Comment

• Halbert
                            I'm Not Normal
                            • Jul 2002

Woo hoo! That's two of us. It's now officially a bandwagon.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Re: My theory of why Bledsoe will excell this year.

I think that I alluded to that point in my first post already.......
                              Not to nit pick but you did say, "However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again."

That was the basis of my disagreement. It won't be the "main" reason if he succeeds, just part of the reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X