PDA

View Full Version : My theory of why Bledsoe will excell this year.

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Drew will have a big year, my prediction. An improved oline and better balance in the playcalling will obviously help. However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again. He throws the long to intermediate ball much better to that side than he does anywheres else. He has had his best years with a smaller speed receiver in that spot, ala Peerless Price and Terry Glenn. Last year Reed didn't get it done...lack of breakaway speed, pure and simple. They made a huge error by not putting a speed guy on that side like Coleman or maybe James Jett and kept Reed in the slot. Of course, with last year's coaching staff, where is the surprise there.:cynic: There is no doubt in my mind that he will have a very productive season this year, mark my words.:up:

Novacane
04-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Can we beat the hell out of you if he does'nt?

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
:lol:Yes, I would deserve to be.:ontome:

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

You can beat on yourself. :)

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2004, 03:45 PM
If all these pieces come together....

1. WM rips it up so the running game is strong
2. Evans stretches the field with his speed (agreed, it plays to Drew's ONE AND ONLY onfield skill)
3. The Oline's play improves so they actually block people
4. The offensive scheme is no longer offensive like last year

....then yes, Drew should do fairly well. But then again so would any other average QB in the NFL, so it's not really that big a deal. :idunno:

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Drew will have a big year, my prediction. An improved oline and better balance in the playcalling will obviously help. However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again. He throws the long to intermediate ball much better to that side than he does anywheres else. He has had his best years with a smaller speed receiver in that spot, ala Peerless Price and Terry Glenn. Last year Reed didn't get it done...lack of breakaway speed, pure and simple. They made a huge error by not putting a speed guy on that side like Coleman or maybe James Jett and kept Reed in the slot. Of course, with last year's coaching staff, where is the surprise there.:cynic: There is no doubt in my mind that he will have a very productive season this year, mark my words.:up:

Sounds good to me!:up::beers:

Halbert
04-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I can't help but notice that you avoided making a guarantee. Come to the dark side. It is your destiny.

justasportsfan
04-29-2004, 03:55 PM
We alternate Henry and WM. Once their D stacks up 8 men and tired , we hit them w/ the pass either to Moulds , Reed up the middle or Evans down the rt. side and a TE.

We have to have a running game and then we make them pay. Just like the Jax game.

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
If all these pieces come together....

....then yes, Drew should do fairly well. But then again so would any other average QB in the NFL, so it's not really that big a deal. :idunno:

There are probably about only 5 QBs in the league with an arm like his that can sling the deep ball like he can when he does have the time and opportunity..I beg to differ.

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
I can't help but notice that you avoided making a guarantee. Come to the dark side. It is your destiny.

I guarantee.:up:

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2004, 04:20 PM

There are probably about only 5 QBs in the league with an arm like his that can sling the deep ball like he can when he does have the time and opportunity..I beg to differ.

Putting aside that number for a moment (I think there are more than that), you are assuming that just because Evans is fast and can go deep that it will be the *main* reason for Drew excelling this year. (just restating what you said in your original post)

Well, Evans can run blazing go routes all day but if...

1. the running game is not there - hello cover 2 and no open Evans
2. the Oline ain't blocking - hello sack
3. the offensive plan is predictable - hello INT, sack, etc.

So the point I was making is that yes, a speed receiver "helps" Drew, but only if all the other peices are there. Just look at the second half of 02. He had Price, but the other pieces weren't there and consequently he sucked.

Don't get me wrong - as I said the ONLY thing Drew does well is chuck it deep, so you do need to have that speed somewhere in the lineup to leverage his only strong suit. But I don't agree that it will be the main reason he will excel (if he does).

In fact, one could argue that it may even backfire on the team having a speed receiver. It may make Drew subconsciously cling to his bad habit of holding the ball to wait for the "big" play instead of checking down, which as we know is not good for anyone. Food for thought anyway.

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 04:32 PM

Putting aside that number for a moment (I think there are more than that), you are assuming that just because Evans is fast and can go deep that it will be the *main* reason for Drew excelling this year. (just restating what you said in your original post)

Well, Evans can run blazing go routes all day but if...

1. the running game is not there - hello cover 2 and no open Evans
2. the Oline ain't blocking - hello sack
3. the offensive plan is predictable - hello INT, sack, etc.

So the point I was making is that yes, a speed receiver "helps" Drew, but only if all the other peices are there. Just look at the second half of 02. He had Price, but the other pieces weren't there and consequently he sucked.

Don't get me wrong - as I said the ONLY thing Drew does well is chuck it deep, so you do need to have that speed somewhere in the lineup to leverage his only strong suit. But I don't agree that it will be the main reason he will excel (if he does).

In fact, one could argue that it may even backfire on the team having a speed receiver. It may make Drew subconsciously cling to his bad habit of holding the ball to wait for the "big" play instead of checking down, which as we know is not good for anyone. Food for thought anyway.

I think that I alluded to that point in my first post already.......:idunno:

An improved oline and better balance in the playcalling will obviously help.

The deep threat will help the running game, oline, and playcalling as well as they will help the deepball....they work hand in hand obviously. Why such a worry about the running game when you have a back who rushed for over 1000 yards the last two years in a row, despite KG's playcalling, and you add a 230 back who runs a 4.3 forty in McGahee.:idunno:

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-29-2004, 04:40 PM

The deep threat will help the running game, oline, and playcalling as well as they will help the deepball. Why would we worry about the running game when you have a back who rushed for over 1000 yards the last two years in a row, despite KG's playcalling, and you add a 230 back who runs a 4.3 forty in McGahee.:idunno:

Exactly

Halbert
04-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Woo hoo! That's two of us. It's now officially a bandwagon.

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2004, 04:57 PM
I think that I alluded to that point in my first post already.......:idunno:

Not to nit pick but you did say, "However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again."

That was the basis of my disagreement. It won't be the "main" reason if he succeeds, just part of the reason.

L.A. Playa
04-29-2004, 05:00 PM
If Bledsoe has a huge year which I hope he does the main reason will be that the TEACHER are gone and we have a coaching staff that actually know how to look at film and EXECUTE a real gameplan

saviorbledsoe
04-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Woo hoo! That's two of us. It's now officially a bandwagon.

Im aboard :)

ScottLawrence
04-29-2004, 05:03 PM
If the offense looks like it did last year for Pittsburgh we are in trouble. Many Steeler fans I talked to said Mularkey did a terrible job of play calling last year.

Hopefully he sticks to his guns and we are a running team.

mchurchfie
04-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Not to nit pick but you did say, "However, the main reason will be because he has a speed receiver in Evans to his right again."

That was the basis of my disagreement. It won't be the "main" reason if he succeeds, just part of the reason.

In Drew's case it WILL be the main reason.:up:

L.A. Playa
04-29-2004, 05:08 PM
The Steelers problem was that Zeroue was not the answer at RB they needed more of The Bus and Maddox still likes to throw into double coverage and also hard to win when your defense sucks and you are always playing from behind

ScottLawrence
04-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
The Steelers problem was that Zeroue was not the answer at RB they needed more of The Bus and Maddox still likes to throw into double coverage and also hard to win when your defense sucks and you are always playing from behind

I said something like that to them but, if you take a look at the Jets Steelers game from last year it was totally the opposite from that. It was basically a snow storm and the Steelers came out throwing, which is something you dont want to do in the snow even with Bettis at Running back.

His play calling was much better in 2002 and 2001.

L.A. Playa
04-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Well all we can do is hope for the best, maybe Cowher had something to with that or maybe he had no confidence in his run blocking either way fresh team fresh start fresh approach lets hope it leads to many wins

ScottLawrence
04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Yea, I agree.

He says we are going to run the ball and I trust him.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence

I said something like that to them but, if you take a look at the Jets Steelers game from last year it was totally the opposite from that. It was basically a snow storm and the Steelers came out throwing, which is something you dont want to do in the snow even with Bettis at Running back.

His play calling was much better in 2002 and 2001.

Didn't he admit when he was hired that he made a huge mistake in that game? I thought he said he should have run the ball a lot more in that game.

ScottLawrence
04-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Did he? Im not sure...... But im not worried because Pittsburgh lead the league in rushing attempts in 2001 with 580 total attempts.

And in 2002 they were third in the league with 512.

Gilbridge has probably never had an offense attempt for more then 500.

Frozen Tundran
04-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Here's how Evans can help Drew the most: one thing we learned watching him is that if Lee is single-covered the result is often "...Lee Evans--Touchdown!!" With double-coverage he still might come down with it. Triple coverage and he'll usually at least make sure it's not intercepted.

One of our best plays was just having our QB heave it when Lee got single coverage and seeing if anyone could catch him--they usually couldn't. Sorgi's passes..well, they had a lot of hang time if ya know what I mean. Imagine Drew's howitzeer hitting Evans in stride so he didn't have to slow down to field it....

Captain gameboy
04-29-2004, 07:32 PM
I think he'll have a great year because he's never had to face what he's facing this year; a realistic option ready to step in, and not as the result of injury.

Drew is on the back 9. He either moves the chains, puts up the points, or he's gone, and unceremoniously.

He knows that this team and this league favors a time of posession, get the 1st down, get a 3 or 7 on the board QB over the gunslinger.

He adjusts, or he goes away. He has the talent, and his team has the support to make it happen.
I think he'll adjust.

Halbert
04-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Come one come all to the fastest growing I Guarantee Bledsoe Has A Rebound Season bandwagon in the country!

Halbert
04-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Frozen Tundran
Here's how Evans can help Drew the most: one thing we learned watching him is that if Lee is single-covered the result is often Lee Evans--Touchdown!!

It was fun watching his highlight videos. He did have that Peerless Price turn-and-burn ability that leaves defenders in the dust, didn’t he? As a rookie it’s going to be a lot tougher to do that in the pro’s but it will be fun to wait for the first one and see what impact it has on the defense.

thefixer74
04-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

roflmao :shutit: :deadhorse

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Don't get me wrong - as I said the ONLY thing Drew does well is chuck it deep

You know, this is probably one of the the biggst misconceptions people have about Drew. Even when he was the starter in NE, the coaches would often substitute Michael bishop or Brady for the deep patterns, "hail marys" and such. Now if by "deep" you mean the 12-20 yard out pattern that's another story.

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by gameboy
I think he'll have a great year because he's never had to face what he's facing this year; a realistic option ready to step in, and not as the result of injury.

Drew is on the back 9. He either moves the chains, puts up the points, or he's gone, and unceremoniously.

He knows that this team and this league favors a time of posession, get the 1st down, get a 3 or 7 on the board QB over the gunslinger.

He adjusts, or he goes away. He has the talent, and his team has the support to make it happen.
I think he'll adjust.

You know this is a very good point. Throughout his career he' snever had his designated successor breathing down his neck. Tom Brady and the aforementioned Bishop were on the roster merely as "projects" who "might" excell. Generally he's never had to compete for a job.

At the same time I just don't picture him as the type of guy who's gonna spend hours after practice reviewing film or with the OC, to go that extra mile and try to beat out the other guy. Those extra efforts are reserved for guys in which football is their life. Drew's never been like that.

saviorbledsoe
04-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by pats-were-right

You know this is a very good point. Throughout his career he' snever had his designated successor breathing down his neck. Tom Brady and the aforementioned Bishop were on the roster merely as "projects" who "might" excell. Generally he's never had to compete for a job.

At the same time I just don't picture him as the type of guy who's gonna spend hours after practice reviewing film or with the OC, to go that extra mile and try to beat out the other guy. Those extra efforts are reserved for guys in which football is their life. Drew's never been like that.

You know whats REALLY sad? When you are so board with your life that you have to take time everyday to slam a player thats not on your team on another teams site.

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

You know whats REALLY sad? When you are so board with your life that you have to take time everyday to slam a player thats not on your team on another teams site.

You either didn't read the post carefully or the truth hurts.

saviorbledsoe
04-30-2004, 12:11 PM

You either didn't read the post carefully or the truth hurts.

I read the post, half ass attempt at giving him credit only to slam him at the end. All you do is put him down. He may have been on your favorite team for a while but you act like you personally know the guy or something. Get over it. Your team won 2 superbowls in 3 years. Go bark up another tree.

L.A. Playa
04-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

I read the post, half ass attempt at giving him credit only to slam him at the end. All you do is put him down. He may have been on your favorite team for a while but you act like you personally know the guy or something. Get over it. Your team won 2 superbowls in 3 years. Go bark up another tree. :clap:

Frozen Tundran
04-30-2004, 01:25 PM

You know, this is probably one of the the biggst misconceptions people have about Drew. Even when he was the starter in NE, the coaches would often substitute Michael bishop or Brady for the deep patterns, "hail marys" and such. Now if by "deep" you mean the 12-20 yard out pattern that's another story.

What planet do you live on? You got rid of the kid with the arm, you kept the one with the rag. Drew Bledsoe has a cannon, Tom Brady needs explosives to get the ball 40 yards downfield.

Look at the stats, four of the past seven years Bledsoe has 12-15 40+ yrd plays. Brady has 6,3, and 8 his first three years. There's no comparison, Bledsoe is in Favre-like territory, and Brady is in Quincy Carter country.

Bledsoe had an off year last year, and probably the coaching didn't help. Guys come back from that all the time. Favre had a couple off years when he was playing with a broken hand in '99&'00, I sure hope guys like you wern't foolish enough to think he was 'done'.... ;-)

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 01:33 PM
What planet do you live on? You got rid of the kid with the arm, you kept the one with the rag. Drew Bledsoe has a cannon, Tom Brady needs explosives to get the ball 40 yards downfield.

Tom Brady has the stronger arm. Bledsoe has certain advantages over him. Arm strength isn't one. Don't get nasty.

I sure hope guys like you wern't foolish enough to think he was 'done'.... ;-)

Well, Donahoe smugly called out our management for this reason - yeah, guess he's smarter.

buffmaniac
04-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Tom Brady has the stronger arm. Bledsoe has certain advantages over him. Arm strength isn't one. Don't get nasty.

Sorry but I would have to bet that Bledsoe has the better arm of the two.

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 01:43 PM
You would think so but it wasn't the case. I'm talking about pure heaving distance now - DB can probably throw a better 20 yard out - don't know.

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 01:45 PM
and Brady is in Quincy Carter country.

Yeah - forgot about the pro bowl appearance, record, and two SB MVP's that Carter has. Please, you can insult my team without putting out total crap.

Frozen Tundran
04-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Actually, that's rather an insult to Quincy Carter as he has about as many 40+ yrd plays and Brady has played 50% more games.

He's a decent young QB, but throwing the ball down the field is not his forte. Your pretending he will ever be mentioned in the company of the true rifles is amusing. Think Bob Griese, not Brett Favre.

Your team had it's run, it's over now. You weren't all that good last year, you barely beat the Texans last game of the season and you didn't look real good against that hapless Panther squad, outside the '79 Rams the most dubious Super Bowl entrant in history.

You kept yourself a contending team for long enough and snuck two SB rings out of it, but it doesn't get any better. Your defense is old, your players complaining, and Brady is the type of QB who thrives on a good team, not the sort that rebuilds a bad one.

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Frozen Tundran
Your team had it's run, it's over now. You weren't all that good last year, you barely beat the Texans last game of the season and you didn't look real good against that hapless Panther squad, outside the '79 Rams the most dubious Super Bowl entrant in history.

I don't know that I'd go as far as the '79 Rams, but I do believe that once other coaches figure Belichick out, it's over for the Pats. However, that's easier said than done so who knows. But it's no mystery that BB is the primary reason the Pats have had the success they've had. The team itself is not as good as their record portrays. But I'll give them credit in any case (although I still hate them more than any other team besides the Cowboys and Fish) :D

pats-were-right
04-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Your pretending he will ever be mentioned in the company of the true rifles is amusing.

Calm down. I said he had a stronger arm than Bledsoe, no one else. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

mchurchfie
04-30-2004, 03:55 PM

I thought you had some good points in this thread and halfway knew what you were talking about before, but this statement is ludicrous and shows what a true bone up your ass that you have for Bledsoe and TD.:cynic: You have officially reduced yourself back to troll status.
:shakeno:

mchurchfie
04-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Calm down. I said he had a stronger arm than Bledsoe, no one else. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Too bad they weren't actual facts instead of some misconstrued fantasy in your own mind.:cynic:

saviorbledsoe
04-30-2004, 04:08 PM

I thought you had some good points in this thread and halfway knew what you were talking about before, but this statement is ludicrous and shows what a true bone up your ass that you have for Bledsoe and TD.:cynic: You have officially reduced yourself back to troll status.
:shakeno:

:3star: :rofl:

Frozen Tundran
04-30-2004, 04:08 PM

The facts are on my side though. You alone, out of the countless mulitudes, claim Brady has a stronger arm than Bledsoe. I, who saw Brady play countless times at Michigan has got to wonder if he's taken steroids since if anyone's gonna think he has a gun--especially compared to Bledsoe whose had a cannon since he left Washinton State.

So we look at the NFL recordbook, and what does it say? That Brady is subpar at getting 40 yrd plays, and Bledsoe's right up there with the best ever in his good years.

So I gotta wonder what the color of the sky is your world. Are we talking about the same Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady everyone else knows? Or are you just trying to get a rise outta Bill's fans.... ;-)

Frozen Tundran
04-30-2004, 04:18 PM

I don't know that I'd go as far as the '79 Rams, but I do believe that once other coaches figure Belichick out, it's over for the Pats. However, that's easier said than done so who knows. But it's no mystery that BB is the primary reason the Pats have had the success they've had. The team itself is not as good as their record portrays. But I'll give them credit in any case (although I still hate them more than any other team besides the Cowboys and Fish) :D

Going by points scored/points allowed over the course of the season, only the '79 Rams were worse than the '03 Panthers in this respect.

Yeah, there's something smoke-n-mirrors about this club, they pulled off a miracle in '01 and then had a good year last year and didn't blow it. But they're not a dominating team, I don't see any reason to assume they're going to repeat. Their running game is still suspect, a 30 year old power back is more a question than an aswer.