PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Collins A Cowboy?

STAMPY
04-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Cowboys may look at ex-Giants QB Collins
01:03 AM CDT on Thursday, April 29, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The New York Giants released quarterback Kerry Collins on Wednesday. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he would be interested in talking to him.

"I think, for sure, you have to give that a look because we have a lot of respect for him," Jones told the New York Times. "He's beaten us more than we've beaten him. ... No organization would have more respect for him than us.

"We will keep all of our options open as all of the veteran quarterbacks become available with the idea that Quincy Carter is our starter, that Drew Henson needs time to adjust and we need a veteran mix there. That's not to say Chad Hutchinson won't get his shot."

Collins had the most successful year of his career in 2000 under Sean Payton, the Cowboys' current offensive coordinator. Collins passed for 3,610 yards with 22 touchdowns and 13 interceptions that year as he led the Giants to the Super Bowl.

The Giants deemed Collins expendable after they traded for Eli Manning, the first player selected in last weekend's NFL draft.

New York asked Collins, who passed for 3,110 yards with 13 touchdowns and 16 interceptions last season, to reduce his $7 million salary. When Collins declined, general manager Ernie Accorsi told the 31-year-old veteran that he probably would be cut.

Since the season ended, Jones has maintained that Carter is the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

Carter passed for 3,302 yards with 17 touchdowns and 21 interceptions last season as the Cowboys went 10-6 and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

But the Cowboys traded a 2005 third-round draft pick for Drew Henson, who spent the last three seasons in the New York Yankees' minor league system after a stellar career at Michigan.

Hutchinson, last season's backup, is spending the spring in NFL Europe. Third-string quarterback Tony Romo did not appear in a game last season.

One of the reasons the Cowboys have discussed adding a veteran backup is to ensure they give Henson time to develop and to give coach Bill Parcells options if Carter falters or is injured.

juice
04-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Collins would work out in Big D.

Manning the starter in NY? Lots of pressure behind that line.

STAMPY
04-29-2004, 11:34 PM
i'd take kerry over carter any day of week... kerry can help henson too

Gunzlingr
04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by juice

Manning the starter in NY? Lots of pressure behind that line.

I have been wondering this myself. :idunno:

DraftBoy
04-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Vinny must be hating this