PDA

View Full Version : Bills Digest Editor chatting live(now) at buffalobills.com

madness
04-30-2004, 01:33 PM
V. Coach

Bills Digest Editor Chris Brown will be chatting with Bills fans LIVE on the buffalobills.com message board at 2:30.

The Spaz
04-30-2004, 02:44 PM
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228

LtBillsFan66
04-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Some quality stuff in there!

According to Brown, Evans looked good.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Here is the majority of the questions:

After you are done with that one. How do you think TD will get back a #1 for nexts years draft? Do you think he will trade either McGahee or Henry at the end of this season?

-I certainly think that Donahoe has already brainstormed about how to recoup a first round pick next year, which is why I didn't mind what the Bills gave up to get Losman. Obviously trading a running back for a one is an option, but all of us have to see how each of the backs do this year before we can even speculate about which one might be headed elsewhere.

What were the most prevelent offensive formations being used?

-At this morning's workout there was very little "team work" (11 v. 11). The team is still installing some part of the Bills new offensive package. However there were some split back looks with Henry and McGahee both in the backfield, and some three receiver sets. The Bills look like they stand a good chance of creating some matchup problems for opposing defenses.

What did JP Losman do today in practice and how did he do in his 1st practice as a Buffalo Bill?

-He did pretty well considering he's had the Bills playbook in his hands for two days. He absolutely has a strong arm. His first pass in 7 v. 7 was to Lee Evans. Kind of a look into the future if you will. He also hit Evans later in the workout. Evans got behind the corner and Losman hit on a deep out underneath the safety. Considering the circumstances he handled himself well.

How would you describe the interaction between the QBs and Sam?

-Wyche is within earshot of the quarterbacks at all times, in part because he can't yell anymore. He was spending extra time with Losman today as he was throwing in warmups. He was probably evaluating his mechanics up close. Wyche spends every extra minute examining the little things.

On the D side of the ball. Does it appear that the bills will be playing closer to the line this year? I cringed everytime our corners were 5+ yards off the line last year. I understand the bend not break mentality but giving a 5 yard cushion makes it easier for team like N.E. witch relies on a short high Percentage passing attack.

-I believe that there will be less man-to-man coverage this year, than the past couple of seasons. That's not to say the corners won't be rolled up to get a good jam in. I understand your concern with regard to New England's passing attack, but I think Jerry Gray is going to mix in more cover-two and zone dogs this year. Again it was tough to tell today because it's not full speed. It was mostly 7 v 7.

Its early, but, did anyone in particular catch your eye ? Someone who was undrafted perhaps ?

-Jason Peters, the mammoth tight end (6'4" 324) from Arkansas had a nice catch believe or not. He's raw, but the possibilities are intriguing with him not only as a mismatch in the short passing game, but as a run blocker obviously. The Bills have him listed as a TE/OT, but for now he'll get a chance to show he can play tight end.

How was Bledsoe's performance today?

-Bledsoe looked good. Again it's not full speed yet, but he seems to have a pretty good grasp of the offense. The coaching staff tried to keep the terminology as close to what it was last year even though stuff will be different in terms of what's called. If you remember Mularkey took over the Pittsburgh offense when Gilbride was fired there, so he's done this before. But Bledsoe has been a frequent attendee for the offseason program so he's got himself up to speed.

Are the O-lineman in the same positions they played last year.... or have they done some "shuffling around"??

-The starting o-line was the same with Villarrial at RG. The LG spot is the one that's up for grabs. Marques Sullivan, Ross Tucker, and Mike Pucillo all got time with the first unit. Every one else is the same as last year.

How did Tim Anderson Look in his first practice as a bill?

-Anderson looked okay. He won some battles with offensive linemen in one-on-one drills. He's got a relentless approach. But again the guys weren't in pads today so it's tough to get a true gauge of what these guys can do right now.

I know it is early, but who do you think will be the kick-off/punt returner this year? Do you see Antonio Brown still with the club after we drafted two WRs this year?

-I think receiver might be one of the most hotly contested positions on this team come training camp, as far as who number 5 and possibly number 6 will be if they keep that many. Right now the top four are obvious (Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Evans). Beyond that it's wide open though the Bills like Sam Aiken a lot. Antonio Brown will need to have a better preseason than he did last year because a lot of Buffalo undrafted free agents also have return ability. And don't forget about other good returners on the team (Terrence McGee, Nate Clements, etc.)

Why do you think it is obvious that Shaw is in the top 4 of our WR's?

-It's obvious because Shaw is currently the slot receiver in the 3 wide set with the first team. Reed is still on the outside. That of course we all expect to see change with Evans here now. I'm not saying Shaw will be in the top four at the close of training camp, but going into camp he will be.

I was impressed with Sam Aikens ability to separate in the only Game that he had much exposure. If he had held on the football in the endzone I believe he would have continued to get playing time. To you feel it is possible for aikens to move into a number 4 posistion on the depth chart?

-I like what I saw from Sam Aiken in practice before the knee injury last year. I think he definitely has a shot to get the number four spot, but again it's going to be super competitive at that position this year.

Does Eric Moulds look 100% healthy now???

-Eric Moulds has been 100 percent healthy since March. No worries

Do you see any of the undrafted free agents having a shot at making the roster??

-I think Jason Peters has a chance. This LB D.D. Acholonu from Washington St. is intriguing. He's undersized for a LB only 239 pounds, but it's tough to ignore his production in college which included 16.5 sacks last year. He was a rush end for them. I also like the FB from McNeese State Luke Lawton, and Rashad Baker the safety from Tennessee.

I know it early, but could you give some sense to what the offense is going to look like. Are we going to bunch the line and us a lot of big sets, or are we going to spread it out?

-I think coach Mularkey is going to do both. He power run and spread defenses out with 3 and 4 wide sets. It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

Can we have some info regarding McGahee?? Does he look like a possible breakout player, or is he still runnibng/playing cautious??

-He looks very quick through the hole, and gets into the secondary fast. Again though there's no tackling in this minicamp, no pads, but that being said he looks quick and fast. There's no wiggle with him, it's pick an angle and go. Someone asked if he looks as good as he was pre-injury. I'm not ready to say that yet. When I see these guys with the pads on in training camp. Then I'll have an opinion.

Devin
04-30-2004, 03:59 PM
nice job ghost. great read.