PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Entercom I don't care I will never listen to WGR55

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-30-2004, 07:19 PM
The clock has run out of time for one of Buffalo's two sports talk radio stations in Buffalo. WNSA, 107.7 on the FM dial, is officially off the air.

The move follows action Thursday in Federal Bankruptcy Court giving the nod to Entercom Communications to purchase the station from embattled Adelphia Communications.

Entercom already owns WGR55-AM, the other sports talk station in town. The new owners have opted not to keep WNSA's remaining employees.

Until Entercom officially takes over and plans for the station are announced, WNSA will broadcast a live feed of Sporting News radio.

"On behalf of Adelphia Communications, I want to once again thank the staff at WNSA for all of their hard work through the years in making the station a success among sports fans throughout Western New York," said Tom Haywood, area Vice President for Adelphia.

:madcurse: :cry: :chair: :cynic: :bigwave:

http://wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=20441

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Great...just what Buffalo needed...more un-employment.

Bmax
05-01-2004, 02:02 AM
not really i'm sure some new people will get hired to work the music format.....I guess entercom feels a music format will generate more than a 2.0 rating...No matter the format the stations ratings will be higher .. the question is will the make more money.. ? The station tried country awhile ago and it failed my bet is some adult rock type format. or classic county ..Just a guess...

Bmax-(radio vet for over 20 yrs...)

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-01-2004, 08:00 AM
I have to be honest here, I really only listened to Simon. The other guys just couldn't keep my interest. I guess there is no alternative to flip to when commercials are on. I wonder how satelite radio is?

THenry2034
05-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Yeah....same here. Howard the amazing....I looked forward to turning the Simon Cast on if I was home from work that day. Hell....even at work I'd crank on HS in my department to get me by for a few hours. I'm defiently gonna miss WNSA....hopefully Empire doesn't go under now too, which is a possibility.

matt
05-01-2004, 08:48 AM
I will truly miss Simon and Brinson, not to mention Felser on Mondays, and Kelly and Robitialle after and before Sabres games.

matt
05-01-2004, 08:49 AM
I dont get it, WNSA was kicking WGRs butt in ratings, why go with the losers. Oh wait a minute it is the Buffalo sports scene now I know.

saviorbledsoe
05-01-2004, 08:57 AM
I first started listening to WGR over the internet and then they stopped broadcasting it on the net. Then I found out about WNSA on the net......now thats gone........anyone know of any other Bills talk format radio stations that broadcast on the net? BESIDES WEILER. ???????????????

saviorbledsoe
05-01-2004, 08:59 AM
[i]Bmax-(radio vet for over 20 yrs...) [/B]

Im in radio too.......but only 2 years so far :)

What do you do? Im in sales.

The_Philster
05-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
anyone know of any other Bills talk format radio stations that broadcast on the net? BESIDES WEILER. ???????????????

:lol:

Dozerdog
05-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I have to be honest here, I really only listened to Simon. The other guys just couldn't keep my interest. I guess there is no alternative to flip to when commercials are on. I wonder how satelite radio is?

I can only speak of Sirius, the more expensive of the two (XM is the other)

First, it cost about $100-$150 for the hardware- depending if you want to make it portable between the house and car. It will then run you about $12 a month- cheaper if you buy a whole year or lifetime (meaning the life of the radio).

I will never rent or buy a car again without this installed.

Sirius- They have over 60 music stations without commercials- about 30 of them pop/rock, 5 country, 4 hip/hop, 6-7 R&B, and a lot of classical, Jazz, showtunes, latino- you name it.
I think members can also tap into the 60 music stations via the net online. My radio will also learn my favorite songs and remind you when they are on.

News- About 10-15 channels dedicated to this. Cable feeds of Fox News Channel, CNN Headline news, CNBC, ABC News radio, a couple of NPR stations, BBC, news programs from around the world (Radio Australia for instance). A bunch of channels dedicated to both right and left wing talk.

There are 4 weather channels that cover different segments of the country. They just added about 20 cities to their traffic/weather. I get Boston traffic every 4 minutes- no waiting for the radio.

Sports- ESPN News, ESPN Radio (the guy who took over for Tony Kornheiser sucks), Sports Byline USA, and a couple of other original content shows. Siruis Speed Network (Racing), NHL network, and coming this summer- the NFL Channel (24/7 of NFL shows, including the rebroadcast of player/coaches shows from around the USA)

They broadcast every NHL, NBA, and NFL game. They even replay some of the better hockey games if you missed it. For hckey- they even put the score updates on the radio display- you can see the score without changing off of the channel you are listening to.

Entertainment- E! Network, Discovery Channel, Court TV, Radio Disney, a slew of Religious/christian channels , it has two channels dedicated to comedy- one being uncensored. Listened to Chris Rock the other day- hysterical!

It is basically cable TV for your car. None of the songs or content are censored for language- so be careful if the kids are in the car. But they do have kiddie channels to- Barney and sesame street songs.

I drive an average of 60-80K a year. I love the thing.

matt
05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
The old man(my father) is a truck driver and he says it is awesome. He called me from vegas during the draft and he was getting info before I was watching ESPN at home.

Dozerdog
05-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by matt
I dont get it, WNSA was kicking WGRs butt in ratings, why go with the losers. Oh wait a minute it is the Buffalo sports scene now I know.

Because WGR belongs to a bigger corporation. Entecom bought out the competition, basically. Now that they have the Sabres contract, their ratings willl soar.

Dozerdog
05-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by matt
The old man(my father) is a truck driver and he says it is awesome. He called me from vegas during the draft and he was getting info before I was watching ESPN at home.

Yeah- I listened to the draft on my car before getting to the draft party, and again when I drove home. It was awesome!

SABURZFAN
05-01-2004, 09:18 AM
anyone know of any other Bills talk format radio stations that broadcast on the net? BESIDES WEILER. ???????????????

i bet Brian H would know.

saviorbledsoe
05-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Cant someone in the Zone step up and produce a show on Broadcast Monsters? Tuesday Night Bills Show?

SABURZFAN
05-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Yeah- I listened to the draft on my car before getting to the draft party, and again when I drove home. It was awesome!

was that on satellite radio?

SABURZFAN
05-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Cant someone in the Zone step up and produce a show on Broadcast Monsters? Tuesday Night Bills Show?

some of have jobs and kids bro.

SABURZFAN
05-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

some of have jobs and kids bro.

"some of us" was what i meant to say.

saviorbledsoe
05-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

"some of us" was what i meant to say.

I know I know but I am pretty sure he does it from his house on the phone. With as much Bills knowledge as we all already consume daily anyways ......it would not take more than an hour really. If it costs somethin to do it we could do some fund raising to get it going. I would recommend 2 people doing it. Maybe Tatonka and someone else?

Dozerdog
05-01-2004, 09:34 AM

Got a couple hundred $$$?

Broadcast monsters is a vanity label- you pay to get you show up.

Dozerdog
05-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Comparing the two-

Brian H had nothing to say- and begged listeners to call in. No one would. It was like listening to a stand up comic fall on his face. You could hear the flop-sweat and crickets chirping through the speakers.

Weiler is just the opposite. His soap box is stacked so high he can't reach the phone.

saviorbledsoe
05-01-2004, 09:36 AM
You take sponsors though right? They have commercials...If not......lets all chip in 5$ and we would have enough.

Dozerdog
05-01-2004, 09:53 AM
You take sponsors though right? They have commercials...If not......lets all chip in 5$ and we would have enough.

Realistically- it's not worth it. From a business standpoint- I'd rather use ad/sponsor revenue to keep the site running instead of flush it down the radio hole. It cost about $2500 a year to run the Zone.

For all the abuse we gave Brian H- I really felt sorry for the guy. The Broadcast Monster people somehow convinced him through double- speak he had an audience of 20,000- which is abslutely stupid- since it's larger than WNSA and WGR had. We think it was 20 people on it's best day.

It's a little different with mark. I think it's coming out of his pocket, not sure if he gets help from BillsReport. I think- don't quote me on this- it's $50 a show- $200 a month. I think you have to bring your own sponsors- they are strictly selling the air time. Mark is also a responsible businessman, not a kid like Brian- he's not getting roped into anything.

One idea we continually float around here are those pre-recorded "chat wraps" you see on ESPN.com. There they have Mort, Mel Kiper, and others who do an audio segment every few days- similar to a Radio host/guest interview but it is not live.

Advantage- It can be boiled down to specific topics and posted - "Cap talk with Clump & Eb" "Draft talk with Tatonka" or whatever. Each segment an easy 5 minute long clip so you would not have to sit through 60 minutes to find a topic. We can edit out the rough spots to make it polished.

Disadvantage- Technically it's tough because of where everyone lives - we have no "Studio". No call ins since it is not live. You could post questions and/or E-mail to get answered.

If it is popular- we might renew consideration.

saviorbledsoe
05-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

One idea we continually float around here are those pre-recorded "chat wraps" you see on ESPN.com. There they have Mort, Mel Kiper, and others who do an audio segment every few days- similar to a Radio host/guest interview but it is not live.

Advantage- It can be boiled down to specific topics and posted - "Cap talk with Clump & Eb" "Draft talk with Tatonka" or whatever. Each segment an easy 5 minute long clip so you would not have to sit through 60 minutes to find a topic. We can edit out the rough spots to make it polished.

Disadvantage- Technically it's tough because of where everyone lives - we have no "Studio". No call ins since it is not live. You could post questions and/or E-mail to get answered.

If it is popular- we might renew consideration.

LOVE IT!

I would be up for a 5 minute segment too if you want. You really dont need a studio. You can make a recording using your PC and then, Bandwidth pending, you can post them here on the site. I think that is an awesome idea.

:feedback: