• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

This Losman thing is really confusing me

Ok, I'm really starting to wonder about the deal with Losman. Either that "difficult" rap is completely bogus or he is telling the best lies since Clinton said "I did not have sex with that woman."

In this article from the Bufflalo News, all I see is a great guy. Overcame a tough childhood....very criitical of HIMSELF....tons of competitiveness...full of respect for players and the game.

"You're confident when you're still respecting your teammates, you're still respecting your opponents and you're still respecting the game," said Losman, who is in town this weekend for a minicamp. "You become cocky when you try to make yourself better than the game. Just because you beat your opponent that day doesn't mean you're better than them or a better player. You were just greater on that day."

Just where did the bad rap come from specifically? I mean, his freakin' COACH isn't even saying it:

"He's a coach's dream," Tulane coach Chris Scelfo said by phone from New Orleans. "I would never associate Losman with stubbornness. I would associate him with toughness and competitiveness, mentally and physically. He knows who is, and he wants to be the best. . . . If that's construed as being cocky, then so be it."

I know I have been reluctant to embrace JP (primarily because I feel Ben would have been better for the future), but I am definitely feeling a lot better about the decision if this is really true and not good PR. It sounds like we have another Kelly/Favre and that gets me fired up big time. The QB Carousel of Crap just *might* be finally over after 8 years.

Link
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 05-02-2004, 10:42 AM.
  • THenry2034
    • May 2004

Exactly bro....he sounds confident, not arogrant or cocky. This is the type of QB I want for the future. A guy who believes in himself, no matter how bad the situation is.

Yeah...he did come off as a little cocky on NFL Live the day before the draft. But I liked that a little...a QB has to be a little cocky every now and then. But he had some great quotes in that article....ones that will stick in the minds of everyone after reading it
    "You're confident when you're still respecting your teammates, you're still respecting your opponents and you're still respecting the game. You become cocky when you try to make yourself better than the game." Bills quarterback J.P. Losman

Comment

• baalworship
      • May 2003

Any player can look bad if you take them out of context. Plus, many of the bad rumors about JP can now shown to have been started by... Tom Donahoe.

ESPN Insider was posting how Donahoe didn't like Losman's attitude right before the draft and a bunch of others bought it! Suckers! Donahoe played some of these people like a piano!

I think that Losman is a tough guy and very competitive and that does scare people who don't know better. Some people want vanilla answers and such. Losman isn't going to pretend he sucks when he knows he doesn't.

My favorite thing I heard was when Losman's offensive coordinator was on the radio after the draft. He said Donahoe asked him to compare Losman to Patrick Ramsey. Scelfo said Ramsey is who you want for a son-in-law and Losman is who you want to win a game for you in the 4th quarter.

Comment

• Shiny Chicken
        Shinier than your mom
        • Jul 2002

I"m starting to jump on the bandwagon... I was very iffy on this pick before... but I"m starting to like it, little by little.... he certainly is not reminding me of Leaf and George...

Comment

• shadowfax
          • Jan 2003

that's because it's confusing

clearly, jp is a talented kid.

but he's also the least ready of the first round qbs, and might not even be as ready as the 5th, 6th, or 7th qb picks.

what concerns me about jp, and the reason i didn't like the pick, is that he's kind of a 'dude' in a man's position.

I don't buy the 31 wonderlic after he had scored a 14 the first time he took it. They say one scout gave him a corroborative test and he scored between 22-27. I don't give a damn about his being a classical studies major.

To play QB in this league, you better be able to remember complicated play calls. your short term memory must be precise. JP doesn't have that, and I guarantee you they are going to have to work on that by using mnemonic devices or something.

JP is as big a risk as McGahee, as far as first rounders go.

Comment

• cordog
            eat, drink, and be merry
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by shadowfax
            clearly, jp is a talented kid.

To play QB in this league, you better be able to remember complicated play calls. your short term memory must be precise. JP doesn't have that, and I guarantee you they are going to have to work on that by using mnemonic devices or something.

JP is as big a risk as McGahee, as far as first rounders go.
            Because of his Wonderlic score??? Marino scored a 15. I think JP will do alright

Comment

• shelby
              The Vanilla *****
              • Jul 2002

Thanks Mr. C...i like what i've read.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

Re: that's because it's confusing

Originally posted by shadowfax
                But that's just it....more confusion again.

You say he has no short term memory, yet Wyche said:

"He's one of those Wednesday afternoons I-Got-Its," Wyche said. "You give him the game plan Wednesday morning, and by practice he's got it. He has a real good understanding of football. To some people, it's just second nature. They understand defenses, comprehend concepts and the geometry of it all. He's one of those guys."

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cordog
                  Because of his Wonderlic score??? Marino scored a 15. I think JP will do alright
                  rofl.. i was getting ready to tell shadow the same thing actually..
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• lordofgun
                    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

You guys should really think about joining my club(s).

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• mykiljonz
                      • Jan 2003

Didn't McNair score a 9 on the wonderlic also? Some people just "test" better than other people. Some cannot take tests at all.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Shadow - WTF makes you an expert on Losman's short term memory? Are you a neurologist or a brain surgeon when you are not making uninformed posts?
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• CDCampy
                          • Aug 2003

Re: Re: that's because it's confusing

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

But that's just it....more confusion again.

You say he has no short term memory, yet Wyche said:

"He's one of those Wednesday afternoons I-Got-Its," Wyche said. "You give him the game plan Wednesday morning, and by practice he's got it. He has a real good understanding of football. To some people, it's just second nature. They understand defenses, comprehend concepts and the geometry of it all. He's one of those guys."
                          Experienced coach or a fellow fan... Gosh, who to believe, who to believe..? Tell me again, what do you find confusing?
                          BillsBackersofVirginia.com

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Shadow - WTF makes you an expert on Losman's short term memory? Are you a neurologist or a brain surgeon when you are not making uninformed posts?
                            wow..

Originally posted by mykiljonz
                            Didn't McNair score a 9 on the wonderlic also? Some people just "test" better than other people. Some cannot take tests at all.
                            there were loads of successful qbs that did crap on their wonderlic.

and drew bledsoe got a 32.. that sure didnt help him much.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Morgoth
                              Can you blow me where the pampers is?
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                              wow..

there were loads of successful qbs that did crap on their wonderlic.

and drew bledsoe got a 32.. that sure didnt help him much.
                              Ouch!

Hey T are you pissed about Yzerman?
                              Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Comment

Working...
                              X