PDA

View Full Version : Serious question:

DolphinDevil28
05-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Do you guys think you upgraded your o-line enough to stop the onslaught that Drew faced last year?

Isn't Vellarial (sp?) the only guy they signed? Mike Williams isn't the greatest pass blocker, and the LT position remains the same.

Once again, not smack, just asking. You could probably ask me the same question about our OL if we wouldn't have drafted Vernon Carey.

SoCalBillsFan
05-03-2004, 01:04 AM
No, I am largely dissapointed that we didnt upgrade the OL more. Villareal is a decent pickup, but we also lost Rueben Brown, who was overrated but still a pretty solid guard (not a pro-bowler). We needed to do a lot more.

That being said, I hardly think Vernan Carey improves the dolphins line enough. I think both teams have some holes on the OL.

DolphinDevil28
05-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Vernon Carey does fill our right tackle spot. We have a spot open at right guard, just like you do at left guard.

Vernon is athletic as hell and a mauler in the run game.

Ingtar33
05-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Vernon Carey will make a piss poor OT... he excels at OG...

If the fins are moving him outside than they're making a big mistake.

Hermanator21
05-03-2004, 01:48 AM
I would say it all depends on Mcnaily(sp?) and how our play calling is called this year. The main reason our O-Line sucked last year was because stupid ass Gilbride was calling some dumb plays and that inturn hurt our O-Line. I am not making excuses, at least I think I'm not. Our main problem is at Center, and LG. I still have hope for June 1 and maybe we can pick up one or two people to better fill those holes, we have enough money now-thanks to Drew and I think Villerial is an upgrade over Ruben at this point in his career.
Jennings, Williams, Villerial are solid at the least and w/ the coaching of Mcnailly hopefully they can turn the corner and be better than solid. Thank God we dont have Miami's O-Line or we would be screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuffaloRanger
05-03-2004, 02:48 AM
The O-line concerns me more than the D-line. With a dominant O-line and all the weapons the Bills have the playoffs would be very likely. As it is now, it's very questionable.

It is shocking that a line that has given up 50+ sacks each of the last 2 years was not upgraded.

McNally can't do it all by himself. His line wuth the NYG gave up 44 sacks last season. Sometime you just need good players.

smack541
05-03-2004, 02:53 AM
I don’t think the players and talent are a problem on this team. The problem last year was that the coaches did not do their job and they did not utilized everyone on the o-line so they could be successful. One obvious example of issues was when the coaching staff continuously started Puccillo over Marquise Sullivan. It was evident to everyone that Puccillo sucked and should have not been on the field, but the coaches as usually last year did not have the right personal on the field and did not put them in a position to be successful. Coaching does matter!

The_Philster
05-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Having Villarial next to him instead of Pucillo should improve Williams' game immensely...he'll only have to play one position this year instead of the two he had to in 2003.

SABURZFAN
05-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
Do you guys think you upgraded your o-line enough to stop the onslaught that Drew faced last year?

Isn't Vellarial (sp?) the only guy they signed? Mike Williams isn't the greatest pass blocker, and the LT position remains the same.

Once again, not smack, just asking. You could probably ask me the same question about our OL if we wouldn't have drafted Vernon Carey.

we improved dramatically getting rid of ruel and getting mcnally.we had a chance to get grove if we hadn't traded our 2nd rounder for losman.i'm not as happy as i want to be about our OL but we'll be better than last year.

T-Long
05-03-2004, 06:19 AM
remember June 1st...I think TD will upgrade it then

madness
05-03-2004, 06:26 AM
McNally = X factor

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-03-2004, 07:57 AM
I would think that the Bills are feeling very confident in the fact that they brought in the right coaches. With the hiring of McNally they have to feel that their young OL can develop into a top unit. Valerial was the only addition, so they must feel they can get a better effort out of their OL. There is also speculation and talk that the offense will be different this year and it will not rely on Bledsoe having to hold onto the ball long. I think that with the following:
1. The hiring of McNally
2. The bigger commitment to the running game
3. Henry/McGahee combination

the Bills OL will be improved.

BTW, I am not trying to run smack either, but I am no longer afraid to play the Dolphins. I honestly think they will be last in the division this year.

DraftBoy
05-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Buffalo Ranger said it earlier in the thread, that McNally had his NYG line only give uo 44 sacks or so and half the season it was filled with undrafted FA. He should have a huge impact on the team, also our commitment to the run, combined with Drew knowing that its put up or shutup time should make our OL look really good. To be completely honest not one team in the AFC East scares me to play. I think its gonna be one hell of a dogfight for the division and the wildcard though. Also I agree with Ing and was elated with Miami selection of Carey bc I too think he will prolly fail at OT.

OneBillsFan11
05-03-2004, 08:42 AM
We better have damn well upgraded our O-Line. Otherwise we are in for a big surprise.

Dozerdog
05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Hermanator21
I would say it all depends on Mcnaily(sp?) and how our play calling is called this year. The main reason our O-Line sucked last year was because stupid ass Gilbride was calling some dumb plays and that inturn hurt our O-Line. I am not making excuses, at least I think I'm not. Our main problem is at Center, and LG. I still have hope for June 1 and maybe we can pick up one or two people to better fill those holes, we have enough money now-thanks to Drew and I think Villerial is an upgrade over Ruben at this point in his career.
Jennings, Williams, Villerial are solid at the least and w/ the coaching of Mcnailly hopefully they can turn the corner and be better than solid. Thank God we dont have Miami's O-Line or we would be screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post.

Look at the sacks on the game film. How many times did Gash go in motion leaving an empty backfield on 3rd down? We also passed every third and whatever- this was so predictable that teams would blitz 1 or 2 guys with guaranteed success. 5 OL can't stop 7 blitzers- it's impossible.

Our run blocking was pretty good when given a chance. Replacing Pucillo automatically makes Williams and Teague better.

LABillsFan
05-03-2004, 09:39 AM
There has been a lot of critisism thrown at the Bills OL, but look who has been coaching them for the last 3 years.

Pat Ruel was with the Packers for two seasons as assistant offensive line coach and before that was the offensive line coach with the Detroit Lions the rest of his experience was in college.

Ronnie Vinklarek joined the Bills prior to the 2001 season. He spent the 2000 season as the Titans' DEFENSIVE assistant/quality control coach. Prior to that, he spent two seasons (1998-99) coaching the offensive line at Oklahoma State.)

Not to say Mcnally can produce a miracle, but the 2 OL coaches prior to McNally had a combined 4 years experience with one year of that on the other side of the ball. Talented or not, what could the line possibly have learned. I expect a huge difference though it may take a few games to see the effect. The thing the line has going for them is that they (with the exception of Villerial) have been playing together for a while and Villerial has enough experience to blend in well.