PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Comment on Mularkey from Steeler fan.

ScottLawrence
05-03-2004, 04:06 PM
"Mularkey also finished his 3rd season as the OC. Unfortunately, this was his worst. Mularkey spent the preseason dabbling and fooling around, and when the regular season began, Mularkey had no clue as to what his offense's identity was. Then The Mad Dabbler spent the first several games dabbling and grab-bagging, never sure if he had a running game, a passing game, both, or none. The use of gadget plays is a nice change of pace, especially if it can exploit an opponent's weakness, but Mularkey grew fond in '03 to call gadget plays whenever a fancy caught his whim. Mularkey spent far too much time in '03 grab-bagging instead of game-planning, setting-upping, and exploiting. This all came to a negative fruition in the loss to the Jets, in which Muarlkey had the offense passing, passing, passing in a blizzard-like snowstorm, despite the fact that the Stillers never trailed by more than 6 points the entire game. Mularkey was a far sight better than Kevin Gaypride and Ray Sherman, but '03 takes the luster off his prior good work in '01-'02. He'll have his hands full as HC for the Bills"

Ehh. Just him being compared to Gilbridge scares me.:gnight:

Captain gameboy
05-03-2004, 04:14 PM
We'll know soon enough about Mularkey.

I wonder, and have for years, when the Steelers are going to judge Cowher.

The Spaz
05-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Mularkey admitted that he has made some mistakes but realizes what they were and willl change them.

mypoorfriendme
05-03-2004, 04:20 PM
in his defense, he had no idea what kind of season his qb was going to have, much less his rb.

Schobel94
05-03-2004, 04:24 PM
I was a bit worried until I saw it was written by a fan... as much as we like to theink we are football experts, we really don't know that much.

ScottLawrence
05-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
I was a bit worried until I saw it was written by a fan... as much as we like to theink we are football experts, we really don't know that much.

Writters have criticized him too.... look at this story.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03351/252358.stm

The Spaz
05-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence

Writers have also have said good things.

Samphin1
05-03-2004, 04:31 PM
I hope that was written by a fan, a six year old fan. The Stillers? Correct me if I am wrong but is setting-upping even remotely close to proper verbage there? Yeesh, almost makes you Bills fans seem educated...almost. ;)

Schobel94
05-03-2004, 04:36 PM
What the author fails to mention is the two previous seasons where the offense was tops in the the league, especially in running the ball, which they did often.

The Spaz
05-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
What the author fails to mention is the two previous seasons where the offense was tops in the the league, especially in running the ball, which they did often.

Exactly!:up::beers:

Dozerdog
05-03-2004, 04:40 PM
You can only make lemonaide out of lemons for so long-

Look at what he suceeded with- Kordell Stuart, A Healthy Bettis, Ward, and an inconsistent Burris - a big dissapointment considering where he was drafted

He began to fail with Tommy Maddox (XFL star) a beat up Bettis, Amos Zeroue -

You can only go so far with average talent

Canadian'eh!
05-03-2004, 04:53 PM
You beat me to it Dozer... but I'm gonna give my 2 cents.

first... Kevin Gaypride (funny AND mean). I still prefer Killdrive.

Maddox had one descent season but he simply isn't the answer, there was a reason he failed the first time around. The Steelers know this, hence Roethlisberger.

Plexiglass shows flashes but his inconsistency has the Steelers thinking of cutting ties I hear.

Amos "not so famous now" Zeroue, was a bust and Bettis is just too old to give them a running game anymore.

Ward is a good reciever, but a lack of running game and bad QB was hurting him.

The Bills case was that they ignored the running game that was strong, whereas Mularkey knew he never had one and tried to make up for it with trick plays and over passing.

give him a chance.

Captain gameboy
05-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Or average coaching.
Cowher has been outcoached more than once in home playoff games.
I've always wondered why he enjoys a sort of immunity there.

Dozerdog
05-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by gameboy
Or average coaching.

I think the Steelers and fans think he's some sort of throwback to the steel curtain era- if he was a frail old man with a soft spoken voice and had the same resiults- he'd be gone.

The spitting, yelling, scowling look buys him points for some reason. Plus, The Steelers seem to lose more assistants off their rosters each year. I think that always buys him time.

HenryRules
05-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Wow, such a lack of respect for Cowher. Is he the best coach in the NFL, nope. But he's probably gonna end up in the HOF or at least close to it. I'd love it if Mularkey ends up being as successful as Cowher has been.

He's still one of the top-10 coaches in the NFL I'd say (closer to 10 than 1) and I think it'd be a huge risk to replace him. Yeah, you may get someone better, but chances are you'd get someone worse. Plus, his tenure gives him an advantage over most coach's where it's known by the players that Cowher is gonna outlast them in town. I think that's a good thing to have. Finally, wasn't it just 2 seasons ago that they went to the 2nd round of the playoffs and the season before the AFC championship? I'd love to complain about a coach with that sort of performance.

Jeff1220
05-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence

Yeah, but look at this guy. His picture eliminates any credibility he might have had...
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/newsimages/72x85madden.jpeg

Dozerdog
05-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Wow, such a lack of respect for Cowher. Is he the best coach in the NFL, nope. But he's probably gonna end up in the HOF or at least close to it. I'd love it if Mularkey ends up being as successful as Cowher has been.

He's still one of the top-10 coaches in the NFL I'd say (closer to 10 than 1) and I think it'd be a huge risk to replace him. Yeah, you may get someone better, but chances are you'd get someone worse. Plus, his tenure gives him an advantage over most coach's where it's known by the players that Cowher is gonna outlast them in town. I think that's a good thing to have. Finally, wasn't it just 2 seasons ago that they went to the 2nd round of the playoffs and the season before the AFC championship? I'd love to complain about a coach with that sort of performance.

Don't get me wrong- I agree he's a top ten coach. Top ten coaches get canned all the time when their act begins to wear thin on a franchise.

He has a great record over the long haul- but his teams have slid backwards in talent and performance since TD left.

Tom Donahoe hit a home run with Cower when he made him the Steeler HC. That's why I give him a lot of lattitude and slack with the aborted GW hire. He's got one possible Hall Of Famer and one Hall of Shamer on his resume.

All I was saying is if any other accomplished coach- say a Dan Reeves for instance- slipped like his teams have- he would be in more hot water than he is now. He's well liked in Pittsburgh despite all the playoff failures because (in my opinion) Steeler fans like the tough guy image

Goobylal
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
I was listening to ESPN Radio last week when they were talking about Tommy Maddox and how he wanted a pay raise since he was the 3rd highest-paid QB on the roster, even though he was #1 on the depth chart. One Steeler fan called in and said that Maddox deserved more money (i.e. to be the 2nd highest-paid QB) because the Steelers had a lousy O-line and no running game last year. Case closed.

helmetguy
05-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Goobylal
I was listening to ESPN Radio last week when they were talking about Tommy Maddox and how he wanted a pay raise since he was the 3rd highest-paid QB on the roster, even though he was #1 on the depth chart. One Steeler fan called in and said that Maddox deserved more money (i.e. to be the 2nd highest-paid QB) because the Steelers had a lousy O-line and no running game last year. Case closed.

Problem is, they've "suddenly" run into salary cap problems. Not that they are fatal problems, like the ones Butler left us with, mind you. But, then again, when TD was running the show, they always managed to have the depth on the roster to accomodate a great many free agent losses. They managed to stay competitive in spite of FA losses like Chad Scott, Levon Kirkland and Kevin Greene. Unless they can strike that balance again, even Cowher's sideline historionics might not be enough to save his job. Even the Rooney's can have their patience worn thin.

Captain gameboy
05-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

I think the Steelers and fans think he's some sort of throwback to the steel curtain era- if he was a frail old man with a soft spoken voice and had the same resiults- he'd be gone.

The spitting, yelling, scowling look buys him points for some reason. Plus, The Steelers seem to lose more assistants off their rosters each year. I think that always buys him time.

Zackly.

That's why I wrote the first post.

Cowher fires assistants and coordinators regularly: But--he has lost a few home playoff games that were absolute slam dunks.
He should have killed the Bills when Reich started. He had a bye and he had a favored team at home.
He should have beaten New England at home a couple of years ago.
Maybe it was Kordell, maybe it wasn't, but the guy has yet to prove he can do it in Jan.
He has two major strikes against him. He can't win in the playoffs, and he wasted too much time with Stewart.
Those mistakes are usually fatal.

Marty is in the same boat, in my view.

Turf
05-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Maybe it's just a disturbed Steeler fan. :goodbad:

Big M
05-04-2004, 04:51 AM
So if Jerry Sullivan starts whining about something Bills related in the Buffalo News , I should get all concerned and upset ?

I was given this great gift called a brain, much like everyone else on the planet. I've decided to use mine and make my own observations , rather than hang on the rambling of hack writers or internet tabliod. This isn't a shot at anyone here, just a reminder. Your observations are just as good as the so called experts. Keep an open mind and see how Mularkey does. He did not have much to work with in 2003 and was forced to roll the dice in Pittsburgh. Barring injuries , he has far more to work with in Buffalo.

The_Philster
05-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Turf
Maybe it's just a disturbed Steeler fan. :goodbad:

Aren't they all disturbed? :coocoo:

THATHURMANATOR
05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Samphin1
I hope that was written by a fan, a six year old fan. The Stillers? Correct me if I am wrong but is setting-upping even remotely close to proper verbage there? Yeesh, almost makes you Bills fans seem educated...almost. ;)

No you are wrong. If you have ever been "ta da burgh" That is how they pronounce the name.

lordofgun
05-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
in his defense, he had no idea what kind of season his qb was going to have, much less his rb.

exactly.

You can only make lemonaide out of lemons for so long-

Look at what he suceeded with- Kordell Stuart, A Healthy Bettis, Ward, and an inconsistent Burris - a big dissapointment considering where he was drafted

He began to fail with Tommy Maddox (XFL star) a beat up Bettis, Amos Zeroue -

You can only go so far with average talent

exactly.

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!

Maddox had one descent season but he simply isn't the answer, there was a reason he failed the first time around. The Steelers know this, hence Roethlisberger.

Plexiglass shows flashes but his inconsistency has the Steelers thinking of cutting ties I hear.

Amos "not so famous now" Zeroue, was a bust and Bettis is just too old to give them a running game anymore.

The Bills case was that they ignored the running game that was strong, whereas Mularkey knew he never had one and tried to make up for it with trick plays and over passing.

give him a chance.

exactly.

Originally posted by gameboy
Or average coaching.

exactly.

lordofgun
05-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Any coach who thought Kordell Stewart was a franchise QB is a stupid coach.

R. Rich
05-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Don't get me wrong- I agree he's a top ten coach. Top ten coaches get canned all the time when their act begins to wear thin on a franchise.

He has a great record over the long haul- but his teams have slid backwards in talent and performance since TD left.

Tom Donahoe hit a home run with Cower when he made him the Steeler HC. That's why I give him a lot of lattitude and slack with the aborted GW hire. He's got one possible Hall Of Famer and one Hall of Shamer on his resume.

All I was saying is if any other accomplished coach- say a Dan Reeves for instance- slipped like his teams have- he would be in more hot water than he is now. He's well liked in Pittsburgh despite all the playoff failures because (in my opinion) Steeler fans like the tough guy image

It goes beyond his tough guy image, Dozer. Have you ever seen a Bill Cowher press conference? My wife, who as you know is a diehard Steelers fan, tapes them weekly during the season. I've seen a few, and he is much more honest than what we've seen in Buffalo. No constant rehashing of "we just have to make plays" or "we need to execute better" from him. He'll point out a player if said player needs to get his act together. He'll also be as critical of himself and his coaching staff. I think that, even more than the image, is what endears him to Steeler fans.

helmetguy
05-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
exactly.

exactly.

exactly.

exactly.

Now I know where Mikey gets it from!

TigerJ
05-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Others have said it too, but here's my two cents worth. Since TD lost the power struggle with Cowher, I think the Steelers' personnel has gone downhill. Mularkey didn't have the horses in his last year as Steelers OC to succeed with a run first power offence. Without a decent running game, Maddox couldn't handle a passing offence very well. I think Mularkey probably knew that in preseason and turned to trick plays out of desperation. If you have a good base offense, trick plays can be a great way to keep defences off balance. But if the defence doesn't respect your offense it can blowup a lot of trick plays before they ever have a chance to develop.

ParanoidAndroid
05-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
[ Cowher's sideline historionics might not be enough to save his job. [/B]

Historionics? Someone's been cracking open the thesaurus. Brilliant!

You guys are a lot more intelligent than the illiterate dolts I run into on the About.com football forum.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by andyxc71

Historionics? Someone's been cracking open the thesaurus. Brilliant!

You guys are a lot more intelligent than the illiterate dolts I run into on the About.com football forum.

I'm on the About.com forum. I've seen you there.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!

give him a chance.
Excellent post.