Disturbing Comment on Mularkey from Steeler fan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottLawrence
    • Jan 2004

Disturbing Comment on Mularkey from Steeler fan.

"Mularkey also finished his 3rd season as the OC. Unfortunately, this was his worst. Mularkey spent the preseason dabbling and fooling around, and when the regular season began, Mularkey had no clue as to what his offense's identity was. Then The Mad Dabbler spent the first several games dabbling and grab-bagging, never sure if he had a running game, a passing game, both, or none. The use of gadget plays is a nice change of pace, especially if it can exploit an opponent's weakness, but Mularkey grew fond in '03 to call gadget plays whenever a fancy caught his whim. Mularkey spent far too much time in '03 grab-bagging instead of game-planning, setting-upping, and exploiting. This all came to a negative fruition in the loss to the Jets, in which Muarlkey had the offense passing, passing, passing in a blizzard-like snowstorm, despite the fact that the Stillers never trailed by more than 6 points the entire game. Mularkey was a far sight better than Kevin Gaypride and Ray Sherman, but '03 takes the luster off his prior good work in '01-'02. He'll have his hands full as HC for the Bills"

Ehh. Just him being compared to Gilbridge scares me.
    You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.
  • Captain gameboy
    • Jul 2002

We'll know soon enough about Mularkey.

I wonder, and have for years, when the Steelers are going to judge Cowher.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Mularkey admitted that he has made some mistakes but realizes what they were and willl change them.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
        • Apr 2003

in his defense, he had no idea what kind of season his qb was going to have, much less his rb.
        the dude abides

Comment

• Schobel94
          The Sack Master
          • Jan 2003

I was a bit worried until I saw it was written by a fan... as much as we like to theink we are football experts, we really don't know that much.
          Beware the sack master!

Comment

• ScottLawrence
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Schobel94
            I was a bit worried until I saw it was written by a fan... as much as we like to theink we are football experts, we really don't know that much.
            Writters have criticized him too.... look at this story.

You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Samphin1
              • Mar 2004

I hope that was written by a fan, a six year old fan. The Stillers? Correct me if I am wrong but is setting-upping even remotely close to proper verbage there? Yeesh, almost makes you Bills fans seem educated...almost.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
                Writters have criticized him too.... look at this story.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03351/252358.stm

Writers have also have said good things.

Comment

• Schobel94
                  The Sack Master
                  • Jan 2003

What the author fails to mention is the two previous seasons where the offense was tops in the the league, especially in running the ball, which they did often.
                  Beware the sack master!

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Schobel94
                    What the author fails to mention is the two previous seasons where the offense was tops in the the league, especially in running the ball, which they did often.
                    Exactly!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

You can only make lemonaide out of lemons for so long-

Look at what he suceeded with- Kordell Stuart, A Healthy Bettis, Ward, and an inconsistent Burris - a big dissapointment considering where he was drafted

He began to fail with Tommy Maddox (XFL star) a beat up Bettis, Amos Zeroue -

You can only go so far with average talent

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                        • Mar 2004

You beat me to it Dozer... but I'm gonna give my 2 cents.

first... Kevin Gaypride (funny AND mean). I still prefer Killdrive.

Maddox had one descent season but he simply isn't the answer, there was a reason he failed the first time around. The Steelers know this, hence Roethlisberger.

Plexiglass shows flashes but his inconsistency has the Steelers thinking of cutting ties I hear.

Amos "not so famous now" Zeroue, was a bust and Bettis is just too old to give them a running game anymore.

Ward is a good reciever, but a lack of running game and bad QB was hurting him.

The Bills case was that they ignored the running game that was strong, whereas Mularkey knew he never had one and tried to make up for it with trick plays and over passing.

give him a chance.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                          • Jul 2002

Or average coaching.
                          Cowher has been outcoached more than once in home playoff games.
                          I've always wondered why he enjoys a sort of immunity there.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                            Or average coaching.
                            Cowher has been outcoached more than once in home playoff games.
                            I've always wondered why he enjoys a sort of immunity there.
                            I think the Steelers and fans think he's some sort of throwback to the steel curtain era- if he was a frail old man with a soft spoken voice and had the same resiults- he'd be gone.

The spitting, yelling, scowling look buys him points for some reason. Plus, The Steelers seem to lose more assistants off their rosters each year. I think that always buys him time.

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

Wow, such a lack of respect for Cowher. Is he the best coach in the NFL, nope. But he's probably gonna end up in the HOF or at least close to it. I'd love it if Mularkey ends up being as successful as Cowher has been.

He's still one of the top-10 coaches in the NFL I'd say (closer to 10 than 1) and I think it'd be a huge risk to replace him. Yeah, you may get someone better, but chances are you'd get someone worse. Plus, his tenure gives him an advantage over most coach's where it's known by the players that Cowher is gonna outlast them in town. I think that's a good thing to have. Finally, wasn't it just 2 seasons ago that they went to the 2nd round of the playoffs and the season before the AFC championship? I'd love to complain about a coach with that sort of performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X