PDA

View Full Version : Which article is better?

lordofgun
05-05-2004, 08:28 AM
As you may or may not know, we are holding a competition for one lucky poster to become an admin! The final task was to write an article for publication on the front page at www.billszone.com.

So, I'm going to post the two articles in the following posts and I need you to vote on which one is better! Your opinion will heavily influence my final decision on who should be hired and who should be fired.

Please judge based mostly on content, as our Zone Editor will fix grammar and spelling before publication.

(...and don't bother voting more than once, contestants. :D )

articles to follow...

lordofgun
05-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Article #1

High Expectations
Bill’s Opener Draws Fans From Far and Wide

Though the 2004 football season is still over four months away, it is never too early to start planning for the first game of the year. The Buffalo Bills’ 2004 opener will be heralded as one of the most exciting games of the season as they face the Jaguars on September 12 at 1:00pm. With the addition of a new back-up QB in Losman, WRs Evans and Smith, OT McFarland, DT Anderson and TE Euhus, the season itself is looking to be much more productive than in previous years. As a wide receiver for the Wisconsin Badgers, Evans looks sharp in his highlight clips. Combining him with Moulds this year will make for some spectacular viewing for Bills’ fans. Having kept players who have been an asset to the team, in addition to the new draftees and free agents, the 2004 Buffalo Bills “could – go – all – the – way”, to quote Chris Berman. The firing of Gregg Williams and Kevin Gilbride has also paved the way for new optimism on the coaching end of the team. Mike Mularkey, at 42, is one of the youngest head coaches in the NFL, and Tom Clements should work out well as offensive coordinator. Sam Wyche is the new QB coach and a welcome addition to the coaching staff.

Much has been said and written about the Buffalo Bills as a football team, but the fans also play a great part in bringing excitement to the game. Without fans, the NFL would cease to exist. The Bills fan base has long been lauded as one of the most loyal and dedicated group of fans in the NFL. Speaking from personal experience, even people who have been lifelong fans of other teams can be converted to embrace the Bills as “their” team. At this years’ opener, Bills fans from all over the US and Canada will be flying or driving into Buffalo to partake in the fun of the pre-game day party, tailgating in the parking lot, the game itself, and all the sights Buffalo has to offer. I have it on good authority that fans from California, Rhode Island, Virginia, South Dakota, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Maryland, Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina and Florida will definitely be in attendance this year (if I have left any states out, please feel free to correct me!). As an added bonus, the Zone’s own TypicalBill is planning on flying into Buffalo from Kuwait to cheer the Bills on at the opener! As football is a relatively unknown sport in Kuwait, we will welcome his perspective on this football spectacle and his take on the game itself. There is also a rumor going around that a couple from the Zone will be renewing their marriage vows at Niagara Falls during the Bills’ opener weekend. What better way to celebrate both marriage and the opening of the 2004 football season?

Those Zoners who attend the game will experience a chance to get to know one another in person at the pre-game day party, usually held at the Brew Pub in Buffalo, and at the tailgate party in the stadium parking lot before the game. An additional special feature at this year’s opener will be a block of seats purchased and designated for registered BillsZone members and their guests. You can be assured that these fans will be one of the loudest groups in the Ralph Wilson Stadium cheering on the Bills!

Many events will occur before the NFL season opens this fall, most notably the Bills’ training camp where numerous players will be competing for their jobs. Plus, we have endless summer months to endure before fall and football! Once football season begins we’ll all breathe a sigh of relief to be rid of boring Sunday afternoon TV. Here’s hoping all the Bills’ fans will be rewarded with a trip to the 39th Superbowl in 2005. Join us on our march to the Superbowl - it’s going to be an exhilarating trip!

GO BILLS!!

lordofgun
05-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Article #2

Random Fandom

As the second anniversary of the best Buffalo Bill website draws nigh, I have discovered a few inalienable truths:

1) No matter who is under center for the Buffalo Bills come opening day, half of the people will complain about it being the wrong QB, & the other half will declare him the second coming of the football messiah.

2) Tom Donahoe will draft a player none of us expected, and half of the fans will rejoice, while the other have complain relentlessly.

3) None of us will rest until our beloved Bills bring home a Super Bowl championship to the great city of Buffalo.

4) Miami sucks.

5) The Billszone is the greatest Bills site on the web.

It is absolutely amazing what the Billszone has become. From merely a gleam in the eyes Dozer and the founding staff to a cyberspace Mecca of diehard Buffalo Bills fans from around the world. From the unrivaled salary cap knowledge of Clumping Platelets and Ebenezer to the invaluable scouting insights of Ingtar33. From Mikey82's daily live camp updates and reports to views from behind enemy lines by the Patriot and Dolphin fans. From news gather from the four corners of the wind to original stories and interviews. The Billszone truly has it all.

As both an isolated fan in South Dakota and a member of the Billszone family, I am both honored and proud to be part fo the Buffalo Bills fansite that all other strive to imitate. It is we the fans that make this place what it is, and I want to thank all of you for continuing to help make it the most comprehensive Buffalo Bills site there is.

The Billszone truly is "Your finger on the pulse of Buffalo Bills football"

Tatonka
05-05-2004, 08:40 AM
i was fired.. so that seems entirely too long to read.

i pick 2.

Earthquake Enyart
05-05-2004, 08:40 AM
:z:

Dozerdog
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
While both are a bit dissapointing- I'll go with #1.

#2 is to short, and half of it is dedicated to sucking up. This is supposed to be an article- not a PR Piece.

Both of you treat it like a post- how is the casual reader supposed to know who TypicalBill Is, or Dozer? Or Ingtar?

Neithe rgive you any fresh insight to the team itself.

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Where's the 3rd one?

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2004, 08:51 AM
IMO, #1 is an actual article, and #2 is more like a short journal entry.

I pick #1.

mybills
05-05-2004, 09:15 AM
I picked #1.
Because I was mentioned in a secret code kind of way!
:D

Tatonka
05-05-2004, 09:24 AM
i picked #2 because the "GO BILLS" at the bottom of number 1 is cheesy

Gunzlingr
05-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Post 2 sucks ass! Obviously that person is a terrible writer with no first hand knowledge of the team. I would guess that it was thrown together early in the morning after a long night of meetings or something.

:couch:

clumping platelets
05-05-2004, 09:44 AM
:mods:

Earthquake Enyart
05-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Gunzlingr
Post 2 sucks ass! Obviously that person is a terrible writer with no first hand knowledge of the team. I would guess that it was thrown together early in the morning after a long night of meetings or something.

:couch:

The "Dolphins suck" alone almost got me to vote.

SABURZFAN
05-05-2004, 10:29 AM
just make it easy and fire both of them.

Earthquake Enyart
05-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Please judge based mostly on content, as our Zone Editor will fix grammar and spelling before publication.

Funniest post ever. :chuckle:

Novacane
05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I voted for Honey :D

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Wait a second, your "lucky" to become an administrator?

Michael82
05-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
just make it easy and fire both of them.

I agree! Both of them are terrible! :snicker:

Earthquake Enyart
05-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82

They read like training camp reports. :bigmike2:

At least they are on time. :bigmike: :z:

shelby
05-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Nice work, both of y'all.
i can't believe imbondz didn't submit an article.:cynic: i had such high hopes for him.
:unhappy:

i voted for article # 1.

Topdog
05-05-2004, 04:46 PM

At least they got to write one!
I voted for.............or never mind.

Gunzlingr
05-05-2004, 04:59 PM
:sadwalk:

honey
05-05-2004, 05:17 PM
:jawdrop:

Topdog
05-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Gee Gunz did you get the Aids virus? No Ones voting for you :(

I told you Ron was a slob......must be your Avatar!

chubluv
05-05-2004, 11:46 PM
I voted for article 1 ! The only part about # 2 that I liked was the Miami sucks part !!!

socalfan
05-06-2004, 12:47 AM
I voted for #2. Article #1 just reminded me of a Wys post .... I wasn't able to get through the first paragraph without yawning.

chernobylwraiths
05-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I really didn't like either article. I voted for 1 because it had more content. Of course, most of that content didn't have a whole lot of substance to it either. I found that both seemed to be more like posts and from a fans perspective instead of a more impartial view of things. I am already a Bills fan and know what it's like to be one. I don't want to read about them.

Mr. Miyagi
05-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Fire them both.

Gunzlingr
05-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Fire them both.

:up:

Michael82
05-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
They read like training camp reports. :bigmike2:

At least they are on time. :bigmike: :z:

Until you decide to get off your old wrinkly ass and do something for a change, you have NO right to talk. So, shut the **** up, you piece of ****! :madcurse:

Mr. Miyagi
05-06-2004, 01:28 PM
How come imbondz didn't write one?

The_Philster
05-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Until you decide to get off your old wrinkly ass and do something for a change

You know hell will freeze over before that ever happens. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
05-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Fire them both.

i already mentioned that.stop stealing my ideas.:mad:

SABURZFAN
05-07-2004, 07:27 AM

his new job got in the way.he's working for Greyhound sniffing farts out of bus seats.:snicker2:

TigerJ
05-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Let's put it this way, Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News doesn't have to worry about anyone taking his job anytime soon. The second article, as has been suggested, reads like a post and assumes familiarity on the part of the reader with personalities on the message boards. The first seems mindlessly optimistic. It's OK to be optimistic, but you've got to at least acknowledge that it may not work out as a best case scenario.

On the plus side, both writers are obviously great Bills fans.

imbondz
05-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Where's the 3rd one?

I've had to work overtime all week. no time.

Originally posted by shelby
Nice work, both of y'all.
i can't believe imbondz didn't submit an article.:cynic: i had such high hopes for him.
:unhappy:

yep :up: mine would have been better than both of those if I'd written one

I've had to work overtime all week. no time.

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
his new job got in the way.he's working for Greyhound sniffing farts out of bus seats.:snicker2:

:rofl: wait a minute :mad:

Michael82
05-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
You know hell will freeze over before that ever happens. :rolleyes:

I agree! :snicker: