PDA

View Full Version : Briggs Meyer Test

Tatonka
05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
anyone heard of this? it is one of the tests that some teams use to help determine personality.

they stated that Farve, marino, kelly, unitis, montana and a few others were all had the same rating.. the rating was like ESTP or soemthing like that.

they also listed a bunch of guys with a different kind.. ISJP or something liek that.. and the list included ryan leaf, and a few others that were total flops in the nfl.

the chargers owner said that he was told by the doctor specifically not to draft him. they did anyway. you see what they got.

apparently some front offices swear by it.

Eli Manning was the later of the two... same as leaf.

they didnt mention big ben, rivers, or losman though. would be interested to find out if they took anything like that.

Mr. Cynical
05-05-2004, 11:42 AM
I've taken it a few times actually. There are a bunch of places on the web where you can take it. Forgot what my results were...I think ENTJ but I'm not really sure....

Yeah, given the last few f**kups the Chargers made with Leaf and Vick, I'd probably be trying anything I could not to make another one.

If they get burned again, next year he may as well throw a dart at the board while blindfolded and drunk. It couldn't be any worse. :snicker:

socalfan
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
anyone heard of this? it is one of the tests that some teams use to help determine personality.

they stated that Farve, marino, kelly, unitis, montana and a few others were all had the same rating.. the rating was like ESTP or soemthing like that.

they also listed a bunch of guys with a different kind.. ISJP or something liek that.. and the list included ryan leaf, and a few others that were total flops in the nfl.

the chargers owner said that he was told by the doctor specifically not to draft him. they did anyway. you see what they got.

apparently some front offices swear by it.

Eli Manning was the later of the two... same as leaf.

they didnt mention big ben, rivers, or losman though. would be interested to find out if they took anything like that.

It is used in business quite a bit to determine the personality types of the people in the organization. I presume that if it is used in the nfl, then you might expect that QBs have the same personality type...but I don't see why that should be so. There are 16 types...two letters for each of the four positions...ESTP, ISTP, ENTP,...etc.

First spot - E(extrovert) I(ntrovert)
Second - I(ntuition) S(ensation)
Third - T(hinking) F(eeling)
Fourth - J(udging) P(erceiving)

ESTP - People of action. Life is never dull around an ESTP. They are uncanny at observing others motivations. They live in the immediate moment. Thrill seekers by taking risks. A whole team made up of these people probably wouldn't be a good thing.

BigZ
05-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Here's a link for one on the web:

http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

I've taken one several times over the years and they've all been fairly consistent. It can't hurt to have this info on players - especially qbs where leadership abilities can be measured.

I'm not sure if it would have told anyone what a flake Leaf is though......

Tatonka
05-05-2004, 01:34 PM
well.. all i know is the list of ESTP includes montana, elway, farve, marino, unitis, and i think the other one was boomer.

wonder if jp took that test.

CWOUSARET
05-05-2004, 02:21 PM
actually it is the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) test. it is the most accurate assessment tool in personality assessment used today. very highly rated in validity and reliability. although no test is 100% accurate - this is the best of its kind in the business. i know this because i have taught this assessment tool in the graduate "Creative Behavior" courses i have taught.

here is one change to an earlier post in this thread

actually it is:

First spot - E (Extrovert) or I (Introvert)
Second - N (Intuition) or S (Sensing)
Third - T (Thinking) or F (Feeling)
Fourth - J (Judging) or P(Perceiving)

hope this helped some - finally a topic that i can talk about and have some in-depth knowledge in. lol

ryjam282
05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
I took this test when I was being looked at by the Major League Scouts....They have some guys take these to determine if they should draft them and whatnot....I remeber one of the questions...

If you were walking down the middle of the street and saw a fight on the left, and a shop filled with paitings on the right, would you go left, right, or keep walking.

Anyways, I was a ESTP as well...Maybe I should go to the NFL huh? .:dizzy::drinker: But from what I heard, a lot of teams put a lot of validity in this test for what's it's worth.

Mr. Cynical
05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
If you were walking down the middle of the street and saw a fight on the left, and a shop filled with paitings on the right, would you go left, right, or keep walking.

So, what did you answer?

Without knowing any more details on who was fighting and why, etc., I'd keep on walking. No need to get involved unless there is a reason to. As for deciding to go into a shop and gander at paintings....unless I was with a girlfriend and *had* to do it...not a chance. ;)

Mr. Cynical
05-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by CWOUSARET
actually it is the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) test. it is the most accurate assessment tool in personality assessment used today. very highly rated in validity and reliability. although no test is 100% accurate - this is the best of its kind in the business. i know this because i have taught this assessment tool in the graduate "Creative Behavior" courses i have taught.

actually it is:

hope this helped some - finally a topic that i can talk about and have some in-depth knowledge in. lol

You should create a nice little set of questions (say 10) for us Zoners. After everyone has answered, you could do the analysis and let everyone know how screwed up they really are. :hamrhed:

baalworship
05-05-2004, 05:52 PM
I love the Myers-Briggs. I am an ENTP:

ENTP
Enthusiastic, outgoing, analytic idea people. ENTPs often are multitalented characters interested in nearly everything. Independent, non-conforming and sometimes a little rebellious and confrontational, this type may be an inspiration to others who will follow the ENTP guru into uncharted waters--sometimes shark-infested! Many ENTPs have a hard time dealing with long-range planning, facing practical constraints to their projects, coping with structured working situations and authority figures, and keeping their interpersonal relationships on an even keel. Entrepreneurship may meet this type's needs when more conventional business situations are unattractive. The ENTP has the ability to succeed in a variety of careers--and may move from one to another over the course of a lifetime--always seeking new opportunities and retreating from projects which have degenerated to hum-drum routine. Whatever their chosen field of endeavor, from sales to science, art or writing to psychology, ENTPs always play the role of visionary, promoter, marketeer and instigator.

baalworship
05-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Tatonka, that's interesting that many great QB's have the same MBTI. Do you have a link?

Here is another description of ESTP:

Profile: ESTP
Revision: 2.1
Date of Revision: 7 Dec 99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESTPs are spontaneous, active folks. Like the other SPs, ESTPs get great satisfaction from acting on their impulses. Activities involving great power, speed, thrill and risk are attractive to the ESTP. Chronic stifling of these impulses makes the ESTP feel "dead inside."
Gamesmanship is the calling card of the ESTP. Persons of this type have a natural drive to best the competition. Some of the most successful salespersons are ESTPs. P.T. Barnum ("Never give a sucker an even break") illustrates the unscrupulous contingent of this type.

Almost unconsciously the ESTP looks for nonverbal, nearly subliminal cues as to what makes her quarry "tick." Once she knows, she waits for just the right time to trump the unsuspecting victim's ace and glory in her conquest. Oddly enough, the ESTP seems to admire and respect anyone who can beat her at her own game.

"If I was any better, I couldn't stand it!" To an ESTP, admission of weakness feels like failure. He admires strength in himself and in others.

"Shock effect" is a favored technique of this type to get the attention of his audience. ESTPs love to be at center stage, demonstrating feats of wonder and daring.

Tatonka
05-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by CWOUSARET

actually it is:

cool.. what we need you to do is to get in contact with JPL and administer the test for him, so we can be sure he is the same as farve. thanks. get on that, pronto! :D

Originally posted by baalworship
Tatonka, that's interesting that many great QB's have the same MBTI. Do you have a link?

sorry.. no link. i was listening to "The Herd" on ESPN radio this afternoon. he was quoting from an article, but i didnt catch which one it was.

he was basically saying that Eli is gonna be a flop. and the reason the chargers didnt stick with him is not because he didnt want to be there, but because they didnt listen to their personel guys when they drafted Leaf.. this time they didnt want to make the same mistake.. rivers is the same as farve and others.. they didnt say what JP and Ben were though... pissed me off.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-05-2004, 07:51 PM
I am a ISTJ-
People of this type tend to be: cautious, conservative, and quiet; literal, realistic, and practical; careful and precise; logical, honest, and matter of fact; resistant to change and comfortable with routine; hard working and responsible.

The most important thing to ISTJs is being of service, working hard, and being responsible.

Mr. Cynical
05-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
I love the Myers-Briggs. I am an ENTP:

ENTP
Enthusiastic, outgoing, analytic idea people. ENTPs often are multitalented characters interested in nearly everything. Independent, non-conforming and sometimes a little rebellious and confrontational, this type may be an inspiration to others who will follow the ENTP guru into uncharted waters--sometimes shark-infested! Many ENTPs have a hard time dealing with long-range planning, facing practical constraints to their projects, coping with structured working situations and authority figures, and keeping their interpersonal relationships on an even keel. Entrepreneurship may meet this type's needs when more conventional business situations are unattractive. The ENTP has the ability to succeed in a variety of careers--and may move from one to another over the course of a lifetime--always seeking new opportunities and retreating from projects which have degenerated to hum-drum routine. Whatever their chosen field of endeavor, from sales to science, art or writing to psychology, ENTPs always play the role of visionary, promoter, marketeer and instigator.

That's me. :up:

Goobylal
05-05-2004, 08:16 PM
I have a friend who took that as a resident in internal medicine at something he called "touchy-feely" day (where all the interns got together for a morning and did "bonding" activities). Well the director of the residency program was there and saw his results, and he said "that's funny, I got the same thing. Apparently that's the wrong personality type to be a doctor." The funny thing is, both are excellent doctors. Moral of the story: tests aren't always accurate, but this one is usually on the money.

elltrain22
05-05-2004, 09:28 PM
how long does the test take.

TigerJ
05-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I've taken the Myers-Briggs twice, got slightly different results each time. First time I was an INTP-Introverted-intuitive-thinking-percieving. The second time I was an INTJ: Introverted-intuitive-thinking-judging. I think the difference comes from over time having to make decisions and gradually becoming more comfortable with it. The funny thing is an INTP is king of a mad scientist type, the guy you stick in a back room somewhere to do research because you never want to inflict him on the public. They tend to be intellectual snobs and don't relate well to people as a rule. As I've said before, I pastor a church. Go figure.

BTW, I heard that blurb about the psychologist who has tested various QBs too. I wonder if Bledsoe and Losman have been tested.

I believe the Myers-Briggs is based on the psychological theories of Carl Jung.

Turf
05-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Well I'm ESFP. No wonder I was never drafted.:shakeno:

Shiny Chicken
05-08-2004, 12:41 PM
I think I tend to go back and forth between an ENFP and an INFP... the description for ENFP sems more accurate... but sometimes the description for INFP is right too... :idunno:

TigerJ
05-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Shiny, you need to remember it is a scale. You can be very close to the center line and still be labeled one side or the other. In addition, the older you get, the more you can experience what Jung called "the emergence of the shadow" which essentially means you learn to be more comfortable with behaving outside of your type at least for short periods of time. The introvert can learn to enjoy crowds , the thinking person can get "touchy/feely, and the perceiving person can be more decisive.

Frozen Tundran
05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Found the Link--it sounded so interesting I had to read it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/tvlistings/show121transcript.html

BigZ
05-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Was that from espn or Fox News - fair and balanced?

Sabre Ally
05-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm an ISFP