PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Wyche awed by QB Losman

The_Philster
05-06-2004, 04:59 AM
By Leo Roth
For the second time in his long and mostly illustrious NFL coaching career, Sam Wyche is in a position to guide the torch passing from old, accomplished quarterback to new, hot prospect.
In 1984, his first season as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, Wyche drafted Boomer Esiason from the University of
Maryland in the second round. Within one year, Esiason had replaced 13-year starter Ken Anderson and three years after that, the Bengals were in the Super Bowl....
more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0506JB45HG5_sports.shtml)
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/images/0506GJB45HG81_bills_1.jpg
Buffalo quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche, with rookie J.P. Losman, says Losman’’s confident attitude reminds him of Boomer Esiason, whom he coached at Cincinnati.

Pride
05-06-2004, 06:49 AM
I kinda wish they would just keep that to themselves... if bledsoe struggles early, people will be chanting losman now.. :rolleyes:

Alluro
05-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Pride
I kinda wish they would just keep that to themselves... if bledsoe struggles early, people will be chanting losman now.. :rolleyes:

they'd be doing it anyway..and as well they should

Earthquake Enyart
05-06-2004, 07:01 AM
What do you think he's gonna say? TD f'ed up?

mybills
05-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Alluro

On the other hand, if Losman f's up they'll be chanting LOSEman!
I think we'll just have to wait and see. :idunno:

DraftBoy
05-06-2004, 08:07 AM

So we just settle for mediocrity then if Bledsoe blows again?? I dont get it if he sucks and we lose we need a change simple as that.

Tatonka
05-06-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Alluro

nevermind.. alluro said it.. lol

Tatonka
05-06-2004, 08:39 AM
great article btw.

The_Philster
05-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
So we just settle for mediocrity then if Bledsoe blows again?? I dont get it if he sucks and we lose we need a change simple as that.

He said early. :shakeno: Too many people seem ready to cut him if he throws one bad pass.

HenryRules
05-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
What do you think he's gonna say? TD f'ed up?

Yeah, I think using our 2nd, 5th, and next years 1st to pick Losman says a lot more about their thoughts on him than this article/interview.

mypoorfriendme
05-06-2004, 06:39 PM
i wonder what theyd be saying if we had roethlesberger right now. i find it hard to believe they had losman right up there with them especially if the bills were trying so hard to move up

HenryRules
05-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i wonder what theyd be saying if we had roethlesberger right now. i find it hard to believe they had losman right up there with them especially if the bills were trying so hard to move up

I agree with that ... the one thing I've always wondered about this is if we had him grouped with those 3 - then why didn't we take him at 13? If he was just as good as the first overall pick, I find it rather risky to let him drop down on the hope that we could trade up and grab him.

Mr. Cynical
05-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

I agree with that ... the one thing I've always wondered about this is if we had him grouped with those 3 - then why didn't we take him at 13? If he was just as good as the first overall pick, I find it rather risky to let him drop down on the hope that we could trade up and grab him.

Probably because TD is a known gambler. He probably looked at the board and figured that teams from 14-19 were set at QB and so he rolled the dice.

Still, I would rather have had Ben, but it is what it is now and I'm hoping JP is awesome. The alternative is JP bombs and we waste another 3-4 years until we draft another "franchise" QB....and frankly that thought it just too depressing (even for me).

Tatonka
05-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

because he had evans rated higher than losman.

and because he was smart enough to know that if he picked losman.. evans would have been gone within 2 picks.

HenryRules
05-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

because he had evans rated higher than losman.

and because he was smart enough to know that if he picked losman.. evans would have been gone within 2 picks.

So you're saying we had Evans rated as the best player in the draft? Either that or else we don't think any of the QB's was worth a #1 pick overall (nor even a #5 or so).

It all worked out to what TD has told us he wanted, so everything obviously played out to what he wanted ... but I don't think that everything is quite as they say so.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

The alternative is JP bombs and we waste another 3-4 years until we draft another "franchise" QB....and frankly that thought it just too depressing (even for me).
Correction-

The alternative is JP bombs and we waste another 3-4 years until we draft another "franchise" QB....and frankly that thought it just too depressing (even for me)

and we give Dallas a high dract pick :(

BigZ
05-06-2004, 10:32 PM
My God, I thought I already posted to this thread.

It was a good article. The part I liked was where Sam said that if there wasn't anything he could teach Losman that he'd be out of a job.

This is the first year in many that I feel that the coaching staff can actually make some players better.

Go Bills.