X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • finsrclowns
    • Apr 2004

A short rant

It's about the OL. Two years ago when the line gave up 54 sacks and had a YPC rushing below the NFL average the excuse was the OL coach was a clown and Bledsoe's a statue. I bought some of that. This past season they again give up 50+ sacks and it's Pat Ruel's fault and Bledsoe holds the ball, Pucillo sucks, blah , blah, blah. Ummm...maybe...

Now here's my question. The Bills have hired McNally, who has top credentials, experience, track record, however you want to say it. Two years ago McNally got a no name unit in NY to give up only 24 sacks with Kerry Collins, who I think loses a footrace with Bledsoe. Pucillo is not likely to see the field. Ruben, who was fading fast in PP, is gone. Villarrial is here and is well regarded. Am I right in saying that this line is fresh out of excuses and it's time to put up or admit these guys are just way overrated? Here's the way I see it:

Jonas Jennings: above average LT but has to stay on the field

Trey Teague: below average center who needs to learn how to shotgun snap consistently and pick up a blitz. If you disagree he's below average, try coming up with 15 centers he's better than- bet you can't.

Chris Villarrial: all I know is what I hear and the word is he's a solid but unspectacular player. Fine by me. That's 30 less hits or so Drew has to absorb compared to last year which is a good start.

Mike Williams: I'm tired of hearing about his potential. 3rd year- time to start playing like a 4th pick in the draft. Can you teach quick feet? I dunno, but 20 less pounds might help.

LG: Sullivan/Tucker/Pucillo. I assume it's Sullivan. Maybe McNally can teach him to pass block. Count me as skeptical.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I'll admit my stomach went into a knot when Justin Smiley was still on the board at 43 and we didn't have our pick. People talk about June 1st but I think that's idle fantasy- few teams have major cap problems and even fewer cut starting caliber OL men. Larry Allen may be near the end of the string but I'd take him for a 4th and a pay cut, if he was willing, in a second.
    Last edited by finsrclowns; 05-06-2004, 10:44 PM.
    finsrclowns
  • R. Rich
    • Apr 2003

You are not the only person who is concerned with the offensive line. I've been touting the need to upgrade the line for quite some time now. So far, it appears that the Bills feel that the addition of McNally as line coach and Villarrial at RG have made this unit much better. Like you, I'm concerned about Teague at center. Hopefully, McNally will be able to coach him into a capable player there. As for taking Smiley at 43, I would hope not. While he is a highly rated guard prospect, he's a bit smallish. He's more of an athletic guard; something I feel the Bills need to get away from by adding some big guys who can maul people as opposed to being mauled. You mentioned going after Larry Allen. While I wouldn't want Allen at this point in his career (too slow, out of shape, and is now more erratic and inconsistent as a blocker), I would like to see a bigger, more powerful guard in his mold to replace Ruben. Maybe the Bills will look to add someone after the June 1st cap cuts or even after the June 15th deadline to withdraw offers, but in case they don't, I'll be praying that McNally is the cure-all everyone feels he will be.

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

We cut someone like Larry Allen already. Who needs nother Ruben?
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

i could have cared less about smiley.grove was there and we give up too much for a QB who couldn't lead his team to a .500 record.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

I say give the guys we have a shot. Who knows how they can play with a good coach. I am willing to give the LG's we have a shot. But, I do agree, Mike Williams needs to start playing like the high pick he was and start dominating people. At his 6'7" frame he should be absolutely destroying people...DESTROYING. I will give them all just one more shot....But this is it, put up or shut up.

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Yo finsrclowns, sent you some zonebucks for an avatar. No clowns though, I'm scared of them.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

We all know the line has been sub par for years. Whether the steps TD took this offseason, which doesn't include any major personnel upgrade, are enough, is going to be a legitimate question until the season starts. Then TD is either going to look like a genius or an idiot for addressing things the way he did. If it's the latter, I'll join y'all in calling TD a butthead, but I buy into the philosophy expressed by an old Irish prayer, "God, grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference."
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Bulldog
                Top Dog
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                i could have cared less about smiley.grove was there and we give up too much for a QB who couldn't lead his team to a .500 record.
                I hear ya, espically with all the talent he had around him at freakin Tulane. Way to keep the faith! If JP turns into a franchise QB, I'm sure you will be the first one to applaud TD for his bold move.
                I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Alluro
                  You Don't Stand a Chance !
                  • Jul 2002

the problem with the line is on Bledsoe. He makes it look far worse than it is. If he could think quick to plant and throw at the end of his drop, our O-Line would look 100% better.

Remember back during the RJ/Flutie days, the line would always look great when doug played because he was A) more mobile than rob and B) made quicker decisions with the ball than Rob

Comment

• Patrick76777
                    • Jul 2002

Re: A short rant

Originally posted by finsrclowns

Trey Teague: below average center who needs to learn how to shotgun snap consistently and pick up a blitz. If you disagree he's below average, try coming up with 15 centers he's better than- bet you can't.

If anybody attempts this, they should be shot dead!

Ranking NFL Centers! I'd rather eat toenails!
                    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN

Thats unfair shot Saburz, Montana couldnt of led that team to a .500 record. Losman took one hell of a beating last season and kept on playing. Hes prolly one of the if not the toughest QB in the class. Him and Rivers would be the top 2.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• buffmaniac
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Alluro
                        the problem with the line is on Bledsoe. He makes it look far worse than it is. If he could think quick to plant and throw at the end of his drop, our O-Line would look 100% better.

Remember back during the RJ/Flutie days, the line would always look great when doug played because he was A) more mobile than rob and B) made quicker decisions with the ball than Rob
                        Bledsoe lack of mobility doesn't help but its not all his fault. The OL last year continually just got shoved right back into his face. Plus with the brilliant schemes of KG very rarely could Bledsoe just drop back, plant, and throw. With the WR option routes in our offense, Bledsoe often had to sit and wait to see exactly where his WRs were going to go.

Comment

• Voltron
                          • Jul 2002

I recommend to the people that have not watched game film from last year to watch it again with a stop watch and see how much time Drew has in that pocket before it collapses. It is not because our line is the worst in the league (Although I do agree about Teague) it is because Drew can't make quick enough decisions. A QB should have 5 to 7 seconds to throw the ball. If he can’t get rid of it fast enough that is on the QB not his O-line.
                          Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                          - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                          -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

• CWOUSARET
                            • Aug 2003

a well thought-out and well written work - and you are right - there are reasons to be concerned. i do hope that mcnally can bring these guys together - it is very possible - but i have to see it first before i get warm and fuzzies about it. and the o-line play is the most single important issue this year - why? - because EVERYTHING BEGINS AND ENDS WITH THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!! football 101 - film at 11.
                            "Creativity is more important than Intelligence."

Comment

• colin
                              Drew's my hero!
                              • Jul 2002

I disagree with the Mike Williams comment. He is not a top passblocker, yet, but he destroys people on the run and was playing beside a HS backup last year.

Look at Travis Henry before and after Mike Williams. Before he was below average, now he is considered a super star, and he does not break off long runs much. That means he is constantly given a decent chance to move the ball, wich is because Mike Williams is a bull. He does need some new pass blocking skills yes, but who pushes people around better? not many

Comment

Working...
                              X