PDA

View Full Version : TD’s 2004 Draft Gambles

finsrclowns
05-08-2004, 05:49 PM
With the Bills record in the past 3 years a lot closer to Arizona’s that NE’s, the heat is turning up a bit this year on Tom Donahoe. People can definitely question some of his moves, beginning with the hiring of GW, but not his courage to do what he thinks is right no matter how his decisions may be second guessed. But this draft gives some clues as to where TD thinks he needs to go by what he did and didn’t do.

1) The Evans pick. By taking Evans at 13, some would call that a bit early, TD was saying 2 things: 1st, this was a player they felt they had to have and could be a difference maker and 2nd, letting go Price hurt a lot more than he expected.

2) The Losman pick. TD likes Drew but felt he needed to cover the QB position for the future but he felt he had to have Evans. So the trade up plan was hatched with an eye towards jumping in front of GB, who he was sure would take Losman, allowing him to get both players. The interesting thing beyond whether Losman will be a future star or not is how much next year’s first rounder will be worth. TD is gambling it won’t be in the teens, otherwise he knows he paid a steep premium for Losman. I also think in the back of his mind he plans to recapture that 1st at the end of the year by trading Henry, assuming WM is proven healthy.

3) TD had to know trading his 2nd rounder this year meant no OL help. To me this is the biggest gamble of all, especially since he made a similar gamble last year taking WM over Eric Steinbach which gave us all a chance to watch the human cannon ball Mike Puccillo.

4) The Tim Anderson pick. I’m not down on this pick, although one could say when drafting DL’men TD goes with the old “best white player available” approach. But by taking Anderson, and passing on Derrick Strait, CB OK, an Antoine Winfield type player who was considered on all the mock drafts I saw at worst an early 2nd rounder, TD may be saying he’s planning on resigning Clements and possibly letting Pat Williams go at the end of the year.

5) The Euhus pick. I think TD likes Campbell but felt getting more production this season out of the TE position in the passing game this year was a priority, as well as having a replacement for Moore. Euhus isn’t a burner, but he runs a 4.8 40 and has shown at Oregon he can catch the ball. The interesting part of this pick, and Elltrain22 pointed this out in another thread, was that TD passed on Nat Dorsey to take Euhus. That tells me he thinks he can resign Jennings to an affordable contract at season’s end.

shelby
05-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Great post!

SABURZFAN
05-08-2004, 06:24 PM
:up:

euhus is going to surprise people.along with campbell,we could have a nice set of TE's that nobody knows about.throw peters in there for runblocking situations.....not too bad.:up:

Dozerdog
05-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Mularkey knows TE's. If he feels he's a top flight guy- go for it.

This draft was very weak in OL talent- so I don't feel we lost out on much.

We needed WR speed. We got the fastest in the draft. Even with the repaired wheel.

Overall- this will be a completely overhauled offense next season and will be tough to stop. If they can average 140 yards rushing and 225 per game passing, and a time of posession of 35:00 a game- we will be doing great!

LABillsFan
05-08-2004, 09:37 PM
McNally, McNally, McNally. There is talent on this line and the Bills now have a coach who will them playing so much better. I don't expect miracles, but I take in consideration McNally's experience and reputation and feel that he can make a big enough difference that TD doesn't have to go out and spend serious $$$ on a big name. He can address other area's instead.

ryjam282
05-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Very good post..Nice job....

mypoorfriendme
05-08-2004, 10:02 PM
hopefully mcnally can finally get something out of mike williams. he SHOULD be great considering we took him with the fourth overall, over mckinnie.

BigZ
05-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Good posts!!!!

Nothing negative.

My blood pressure is normal!

Tatonka
05-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Dline in 2005

schobel, bannan, anderson, kelsay... :eek:

when is the last time a team had the vanilla icecream dline? :idunno: