PDA

View Full Version : What are the keys to the Detroit game?

WG
10-23-2002, 12:04 PM
IMO...

The only thing we need to worry about is Stewart going haywire. It's uncommon, but it could happen, especially against us. I say we stack the line and allow our DBs to continue to build on the momentum we created last week. Harrington is still raw and the Lion WRs are nominal. Man-to-man w/ some help should be fine. Put Clements on Hakim for most of the game.

Drew should have little trouble passing against them and tossing for 3 or 4 TDs which should open up the rushing game for Henry again.

The Lions are not good on any side of the ball. They have flashes but are not consistent in the least.

This will be a good game to get the offense back into high-octane mode prior to playing the Pats. The Bills "Game-of-the-Year", part I.

TypicalBill
10-23-2002, 12:13 PM
stop RB Stewart and force Harrington to throw early and often with pressure on him to force the mistakes.

We need to have a good mix of run and pass plays that would confuse their defence. I would much rather see Henry run it up their throats like the Miami game. It would take the pressure off Drew. But Drew needs to be able to complete more throws than he did to be effective.

Dont forget they never win away from home!

Herdwatcher
10-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
stop RB Stewart and force Harrington to throw early and often with pressure on him to force the mistakes.

Keep Harrington in the pocket, applying pressure of course. Don't want him running around making things happen.

don137
10-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Special teams is what worries me the most. Hakim could have a field day if our special teams don't come to play...If we come out of the game with no special team blunders I find it difficult that we won't win.

Ebenezer
10-23-2002, 12:22 PM
I know this sounds like I put no thought into it but, I would just go with the same game plan as against Miami.

Williams vs. Stewart
Lack of quality at WR
TE who can catch
Inexperience at QB

Sounds the same to me.

TypicalBill
10-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Herdwatcher

Keep Harrington in the pocket, applying pressure of course. Don't want him running around making things happen.

I would love it if he tries to move around, im sure WIRE or JENKINS wont mind saying HHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLOOOO

Besides he"s not that mobile anyway

Captain gameboy
10-23-2002, 12:49 PM
After Carr's run a couple weeks ago, and the public criticism of Lucas not taking off when the middle of the field was clearly open, I think Joey will be quite likely to take off on third down situations when his receivers are covered. I hope we're able to get pressure up the middle to prevent this. The only thing that really worries me about the Lions is having a mobile QB convert 3rd downs with his legs.

Earthquake Enyart
10-23-2002, 01:21 PM
Detroit gets a good push up the middle on their pass rush. That could spell trouble for Drew.

Harrington throws a nice long ball too. That could be trouble.

lordofgun
10-23-2002, 01:23 PM
I think we can stop Stewart. HE has a few big weeks, then disappears for long stretches. That passing game is how they'll beat us if they beat us.

TypicalBill
10-23-2002, 01:25 PM
EE,

"Say I went by your house and I found you dead. How do you think that would make me feel?"

:lol:

where do you come up with these sentences

:laughter: :laughter:

DraftBoy
10-23-2002, 01:34 PM
I say we gotta stop Harrington first of all, I would rather them run all day or at least try to then let them pass all day. There D is ok, they got a decent DB, and one good LB (Claiborne) I dont see anybody who could really hurt us though. On Offense just pound with Henry and then go over the top with Bledsoe, this would be a good game to maybe get Reed into the mix more.

Mad Bomber
10-23-2002, 02:35 PM
Like last week, our offense needs to keep their defense from scoring...

Zenyagi
10-24-2002, 11:32 AM
"Harrington is still raw and the Lion WRs are nominal. Man-to- man w/ some help should be fine. Put Clements on Hakim for most of the game."

This will depend on the condition of Germaine Crowell and Michael Ricks, if Ricks can play, and if Crowell is in shape (this will be his 2nd week back, returning from knee surgery) than the Lions recievers will be more difficult to control than you think.

"Drew should have little trouble passing against them and tossing for 3 or 4 TDs which should open up the rushing game for Henry again."

You are correct on the first part, Bledsoe is going to tear our pass defense to pieces, I dont doubt that (which is okay by me, I have Moulds in 2 different fantasy leagues :-). However, I dont see Henry having a very good day this week. The Lions are most likely going to try and stop Bledsoe with a lot of blitzing, not so much spreading, and our D-line is good enough to get decent push on what I have heard is a rather mediocre O-line.

"Keep Harrington in the pocket, applying pressure of course. Don't want him running around making things happen."

Actually, thats not a very good idea (no offense intended) but Harrington is at his best from the pocket, hes not gonna do much with his feet. You would be better off tryin to get him out of there, IMHO.

"I say we gotta stop Harrington first of all, I would rather them run all day or at least try to then let them pass all day. There D is ok, they got a decent DB, and one good LB (Claiborne) I dont see anybody who could really hurt us though."

You are underestimating the Lions D-line. Porcher, Ellis, Rogers (probable), and Hall/eEdwards can make a formidable line.

In case you were interested, No, I dont expect the Lions to pull this one out, however, they are better than most people think, and should not be underestimated.

Just a few thoughts from the other teams fan.

InTheBox
10-24-2002, 11:51 AM
Are defense must play like they did last week against miami. I think that are defense is coming toghther now and nothing goign to stop us!! with a offense like that we should have no problem getting into the playoffs.
Also i think that we should get ahead in the first half and let henry run it down there thorats the rest of the game eating up the clock.

Dozerdog
10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Some intelligent points, there Zenyagi!

I just think the lions are over matched. If the Lions can create turnovers on the Bills- you might have a chance. But I think Bledsoe will play a smart game and not foprce anyhting that is not there.

jdbillsfan
10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
I think a major key is running the ball and controlling the clock keeping our D off the field. I still don't think our D is good enough to stop teams.

I do think we are more likely to win a shootout with the Lions than a team like the raiders though, so if we can put up enough points, hopefully we can take stewart out of the game.

The Lions are definitely better than the Texans and that game was closer than I had hoped. I think Drew will put up big numbers.

BlackJohn
10-24-2002, 03:44 PM
I think that whatever the circumstances, that whether they come up strong against the run or get pressure on drew, our offense will score on Detroit. Whether that be running henry or having Drew pitch it all over the field whatever; but i'd prefer to have balance. Detroit's D clearly cant keep up with our O so i highly doubt that they can outscore us. So I think the key is just execution, and the bills being focused.

However I think the key to this game in order to keep building for future games is our O coming out and putting up 10-14 pts on the board with our 2 first poseesions. Our offense has yet to do this but we are explosive enough to consistently score at the beginning of games. The offense needs to get up early so our D can keep gaining confidence and continue to build on their last 6 quarters of play. Although our D has generally been terrible they've been adequate in the first quarter. The faster we are up the more we can make teams one dimensional. If teams have to pass all the time we can blitz more and that added pressure will cause turnovers more consistently, and our D will end up looking better that it really is (a la 99 rams)

Lori
10-24-2002, 04:43 PM
However, I dont see Henry having a very good day this week. The Lions are most likely going to try and stop Bledsoe with a lot of blitzing, not so much spreading, and our D-line is good enough to get decent push on what I have heard is a rather mediocre O-line.

Not sure where you got the idea of a "mediocre" o-line from, unless it's from raw sack #s. While Drew does take his share of hits, not all of them are on the o-line. And considering the Lions have a grand total of 9 sacks so far, a Tampa Bay-style meet-at-the-QB rush seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, Travis Henry is #6 in the league in rushing yards, and is averaging 4.8 yards/carry (including 6 yds/carry last week against a Miami defense I'd consider better than Detroit's, and ON THE ROAD). Not good news for a Detroit defense that has already given up 9 rushing TDs and, unbelievably, has had more points scored against it than Buffalo's.

We shall see. Your O is getting better behind Harrington - he's going to be a good one - and Buffalo doesn't have the right to take ANY team lightly. I would enjoy a Bills blowout win, but they seem to want to make everyone stick around until the final whistle, no matter who they're playing....

angneli
10-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Load up on the run. and see if Harrington can beat us. I don't think he can keep up with Drew.