PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Thoughts on Jason Peters

finsrclowns
05-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Jason Peters weighs over 320 pounds and runs a 40 under 4.9. That seems to defy some laws of physics, although I don't know which ones. That got me thinking. I'm not the fastest guy, but I know for sure if I had to carry my son's backpack from school on my back while I was running I'd run a heck of a lot slower.

My point is I was watching the "best damn sports show period" last night and the had this girl that trained TO on. It hit me: if Mike Williams can lose 14 pounds in 2 weeks at some pre-draft bootcamp, the Bills should send Peters there for the next couple months. If he can run sub 4.9 at 320, what the heck could he run at say 285? I realize he was undrafted in part because of some work ethic questions, but those bootcamp programs aren't exactly club med, maybe it would get him going. Where's the downside? If this guy was 285 he probably would have been a first or second rounder. Imagine this guy coming to camp in July looking buff and outrunning the LB's? At 285 he'd still be like a runaway train to bring down and still bigger than any TE I know of. Just a thought....:bigmike:

ShadowHawk7
05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Hmmm... Good thought. :idea:

justasportsfan
05-10-2004, 11:36 AM
SHHH! try not to think outloud. the fins are having problems as it is on O and then you are gonna remind them that our over 300 lb. TE can run faster than Sammy Knight? :shakeno:

Goobylal
05-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Peters losing weight/fat can only help him be a better player. Hopefully he wants to do just that.

B-DON
05-10-2004, 02:33 PM
that would be just down right scARY for oncoming defenders

McBFLO
05-10-2004, 03:59 PM
good point. thats an idea id like to see them look into

McBFLO
05-10-2004, 04:03 PM
i hope they dont put him at tackle though, with mularkey coaching him, he could end up being pretty damn good IMO.

Disgustipatex
05-10-2004, 05:21 PM
A guard or tackle type player lining up at Tight End? Completely unheard of. I'm sure Defensive coordinators across the league are quaking in their boots.

::snicker::

Devin
05-10-2004, 05:49 PM
lol jealous?

finsrclowns
05-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Disgustipatex
A guard or tackle type player lining up at Tight End? Completely unheard of. I'm sure Defensive coordinators across the league are quaking in their boots.

Yeah, just like they're quaking to see who the winner of the Dumbo vs. Detmer's Backup derby will be!:rocket:

HenryRules
05-10-2004, 06:03 PM
The Peters hype reminds me a lot of Curtis Alexander (I think that was the RB from NFLE the Bills had).

He was undrafted for a reason. You guys are talking like he might revolutionize the TE position. He <i>may</i> suprise, but I can't believe that people are more excited about Peters than they are about Euhus.

McBFLO
05-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Whats 1 reason to be excited about Euhus? I'm not trying to be confrontational either. I just don't really know anything about the guy, whereas Peters is different than your average TE.

B-DON
05-10-2004, 06:40 PM

name one that is just as fast and seems to be able to catch. peters could be great but i do admit he is being very hyped up but i just hope he can replace campbell

HenryRules
05-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by pepperkorn
Whats 1 reason to be excited about Euhus? I'm not trying to be confrontational either. I just don't really know anything about the guy, whereas Peters is different than your average TE.

Euhus was one of the best pass-catching TE's in college last season and played TE throughout his career, whereas Peters has only played one season at TE and I think he's only caught about 25 passes or so.

Goobylal
05-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Euhus was one of the best pass-catching TE's in college last season and played TE throughout his career, whereas Peters has only played one season at TE and I think he's only caught about 25 passes or so.
First of all, nobody is knocking Euhus. If he can be a contributor this year, great. As for Peters, he is a low risk/high reward player. The Bills gave up nothing to get him, but with his size, speed, and blocking ability, he should be able to make an impact for the Bills in the run-blocking department at the very least, and also be useful as an outlet receiver. People are also high on him because he stood out in the recent minicamp.

B-DON
05-10-2004, 09:29 PM
now that i think about it peters could wind up being like kleinsasser from the vikings except much bigger

finsrclowns
05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
If I had to guess right now, I'd say Euhus will make the bigger impact this season. At this point he is a much more polished receiver and may see time on 3rd downs and some 2 TE sets, possibly as an H-back. Campbell is the starter and I think he will see a bigger role this year in Mularkey's offense.

For this year, my guess would be that Peters will make the team and see some time in short yardage and goal line formations, offering something unusual as both a blocker and a receiver for both, maybe 6-8 snaps a game. He's got a long ways to go before he's going to challenge for a starting position. My point on this thread was if he really got in great shape he could change that equation some- I mean doesn't the idea of someone 285 running say a sub 4.7 40 make you think of possibilities? Even if it's not this year...man!

Goobylal
05-10-2004, 09:50 PM
It depends on what you define as "impact." Euhus, by virtue of being a rookie pass-catching TE who will be playing behind Campbell, will likely not see the field a whole lot, and thus not catch a lot of passes, unless he's amazing (which I hope he is). Peters OTOH has incredible size, blocking ability, and speed, and has decent hands as well. I mean you put him in there to block for the run or pass, send him out for a pass, and watch him run over DB's, LB's, heck even DL. No one will want to tackle this guy. Now if he can lose weight to get his body fat % down, he'd be a monster for sure. And the fact that he converted to TE recently in college means he's got a lot of upside.

BigZ
05-11-2004, 09:16 AM
At this point both Peters and Euhus should be able to make the team unless we go after some 6/1 cut. Peters is probably a project even if he buffs up.

Think about what the line will look like in the double tight end formation though!!!!

Disgustipatex
05-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by B-DON

name one that is just as fast and seems to be able to catch. peters could be great but i do admit he is being very hyped up but i just hope he can replace campbell

Most players in the NFL can catch. But he's by no means a great reciever. 21 catches, 218 yards in college. That's hardly awe inspiring.

Goobylal
05-11-2004, 09:36 AM

Most players in the NFL can catch. But he's by no means a great reciever. 21 catches, 218 yards in college. That's hardly awe inspiring.
Peters wasn't a TE for most of his college career. And take a look at last year's stats for the Pats' 1st round pick, TE Ben Watson. They're not much different.

thefixer74
05-11-2004, 09:38 AM
It is for a team that ran the ball 2/3 of the time.

Goobylal
05-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Okay, here are Peters' 2003 stats and how many times the Razorbacks ran the ball versus passed the ball:

21 catches for 218 yards (10.4 YPC) and 4 TD's
Arkansas ran the ball 626 times versus 304 passes

Here are Ben Watsons 2003 stats and how many times the Bulldogs ran the ball versus passed the ball:

23 catches for 324 yards (14.1 YPC) and 2 TD's
The Bulldogs ran the ball 562 times versus 461 passes

So despite 157 more potential passing plays, Watson managed 2 more catches for 2 fewer TD's, although admittedly for 106 more yards.

thefixer74
05-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Thats what I said,they ran 2/3rd of the time.

The Spaz
05-11-2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/assets/gallery_image/petersrc04_gallery.jpg
<b>Jason Peters</b>

Throne Logic
05-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Heck, if he's athletic enough to be considered for an NFL TE position, he should definitely be trainable to fill an O-line Tackle or Guard position.

I'm certainly pulling for him. Nothing wrong with keeping 3 usefule TE's, especially if one can fill in at Tackle in a pinch.

I still get giddy at the idea of a 300 TE running routes.

Tatonka
05-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Goobylal
Peters wasn't a TE for most of his college career. And take a look at last year's stats for the Pats' 1st round pick, TE Ben Watson. They're not much different.

they are much different.. peters cost nothing.. watson cost a 1st rounder. :snicker:

Goobylal
05-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by thefixer74
Thats what I said,they ran 2/3rd of the time.
Yeah, just trying to demonstrate that even further, with a comparison to Watson's numbers.

TigerJ
05-12-2004, 09:34 PM
There are four candidates for three tight end spots. There are something like nine candidates to fill three or four tackle spots. If the Bills switch Peters to tackle, he won't make the team. I agree that if Peters can drop 30 to 40 pounds he can eventually make an impact, though this year he's at best a very limited role player. I don't think Buffalo will keep 4 tight ends. The standard complement is 3 in the NFL. Campbell is in. That means Neufeld, Euhus and Peters will compete for three spots.

I don't have a good feel for how the team feels about Neufeld, but it would be a bit surprising to me if Buffalo kept two rookies at TE with only three roster spots. They would have to be really impressed with both of them. It is in their favor that they are different in their strengths. Euhus is an experienced and productive receiver. He's got decent blocking skills, but just isn't that strong. Peters by all reports had soft hands and may develop as a reciever, but right now he can be a devastating blocker in double tight end formations. If Buffalo does keep both rookies, Peters might get more playing time just because he'd be on the field in third and short or in goal line situations.

Euhus has pretty good size and decent speed himself. If he can get stronger and faster, he might end up being the more successful of the two. If I could predict who was going to make a bigger long term impact, I'd hire myself out to NFL teams, but I can't so I guess I'm stuck in fandom. LOL