PDA

View Full Version : Henry Trade date soon?

juice
05-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Maybe that Rumer Board that reported this a week ago was right on?

ESPN the MAG. has been reporting this since Feb., the Rudy Johnson/ Travis Henry interest article.

What other teams would be in the mix to take Travis off our hands?

Henry needs to be moved in the Pre-season/ Once season starts he'll only be worth a 2nd or 3rd (www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/Buf)

Re: Bills Team Report

Earthquake Enyart
05-11-2004, 10:59 AM
I think the deal is already done to trade him to Dallas for our #1 back. :couch:

justasportsfan
05-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Henry for Gallery :D otherwise Norv can give the fins a call to see if Minor is avilable.

The Spaz
05-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Either the link doesn't work or their website is acting up.

juice
05-11-2004, 11:05 AM
I think its the link.. can you take care of it Moderator?
Originally posted by The Spaz
Either the link doesn't work or their website is acting up.

CBS Sportsline Re: NFL team report

Romes
05-11-2004, 11:12 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/7317560

If McGahee has a stellar season and shows he's injury free and the Bills running game is on solid ground, Henry would be trade bait in 2005. But not before that, if ever.

The Spaz
05-11-2004, 11:13 AM
GM Tom Donahoe has fielded more than one call from teams interested in trading for young Pro Bowl running back Travis Henry, but the answer has always been the same, "No thanks."

While outsiders think Henry is fast becoming expendable with 2003 first-round pick Willis McGahee ready to take the field in contact drills after recovering from major knee surgery, the Bills feel just the opposite.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/7317560

Pride
05-11-2004, 11:15 AM
:nosign:

juice
05-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Sounds like a bit of Marketing to see who's interested.. Or it could be some type of an official leak from the GM.

matt
05-11-2004, 11:20 AM
or it could be just a reporter needing something to report in the only time of the year that very little NFL news to report about.

juice
05-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by matt
or it could be just a reporter needing something to report in the only time of the year that very little Bills news is out.

Could be but ESPN the MAG. printed it months ago and it came up again a week ago on a Rumer Board... thats quite a coincidence.

2 of 3 sources are solid and once the season starts we take on a number of risks factors that could cause his value to drop to nothing.

Pride
05-11-2004, 11:25 AM
McGahee is running and cutting at full speed but that's not comforting enough for the Bills to trade the proven Henry, the team's 2003 MVP and one of its locker room leaders. It's known that Donahoe is fearful that trading Henry after his gutsy 2003 season, in which he played the final 61/2 games with a broken leg, would irreparably damage team morale.

If McGahee has a stellar season and shows he's injury free and the Bills running game is on solid ground, Henry would be trade bait in 2005. But not before that, if ever.

YES!

juice
05-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Pride
YES!

Thats exactly what I said...doesn't WM sound like he is 100%.. making Henry expendable.

It also says in the above article that MM is telling WM to "Hit the Jets" after he breaks away so it becomes second nature... He sounds more confident than ever that Willis is ready.

John Doe
05-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Thats exactly what I said...doesn't WM sound like he is 100%.. making Henry expendable.

It does not make Henry expendable. What happens if WM goes down? Who is his back-up if Henry is gone?

juice
05-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by John Doe
It does not make Henry expendable. What happens if WM goes down? Who is his back-up if Henry is gone?

The same thing that would happen if DB went down.. you bring in a capable 2nd.. Hamrick from Dallas I think was released.

TigerJ
05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I think maybe the most critical part of that story had to do with concerns over team morale if its star RB from the last two years were to be traded. That's why I don't think it will happen before the season. Some people dismiss morale as a factor, but I think TD does take it into account. If a trade happens, I think it happens next spring, and more than likely during the draft itself.

SABURZFAN
05-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Henry for Gallery :D

that would be TOO sweet.

juice
05-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think maybe the most critical part of that story had to do with concerns over team morale if its star RB from the last two years were to be traded. That's why I don't think it will happen before the season. Some people dismiss morale as a factor, but I think TD does take it into account. If a trade happens, I think it happens next spring, and more than likely during the draft itself.

Too many risks for the organization to wait..RB controversy, Fumblitis, Injury, Drastic drop in #'s, Deep draft class.. all risks that we take with Henry after the season starts.

Way to many risks.. just bring in a capable backup for WM.

I seriously dought if TH and WM will be able to co-exist on the same team splitting carries.

juice
05-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by juice
The same thing that would happen if DB went down.. you bring in a capable 2nd.. Hamrick from Dallas I think was released.

We need to talk to the two time SB champ Antoine Smith.. we know he could function as at least a quality backup. After leading his former team to two SB.

LABillsFan
05-11-2004, 01:15 PM
It won't happen this year. But looking into the future it is a possiblity. TD is setting this team up: Losman, Euhus Peters, McGahee andEvans, all of these players will be developing together much like the core of the Bills in the 90's. Whether they can accomplish the same is unknown, but I really don't see Henry in the mix when the reigns are turned over. Does anybody see Simonton as a capable #2?

thefixer74
05-11-2004, 01:27 PM

You want to get rid of T.Hen and replace him with Hambrick:shakeno: not smart.What the hell is wrong with having two good backs?

thefixer74
05-11-2004, 01:31 PM

We need to talk to the two time SB champ Antoine Smith.. we know he could function as at least a quality backup. After leading his former team to two SB.

And he didn't lead them to both SBs,coaching,there D,and Brady's screen passes was why the won 2 SBs.

IHateTheDullphins
05-11-2004, 02:08 PM
This thread is rediculous, along with the other hundred or so of these.

HAMMER
05-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Henry for Gallery? Hell yeah! Henry for just about anything else? Hell no!

TigerJ
05-11-2004, 05:27 PM
I think Ken Simonton is a third back, the kind of guy you stick in when you really want to change things up and confuse the defence. He's not necessairily the guy II'd turn to if the starter is injured.

Mr. Cynical
05-11-2004, 06:16 PM
What in the world does Oakland have that we need? No way we are getting Gallery for Henry. If Al makes that trade then I'll be on the next flight out there with some Kansas beachfront property to sell him.

I just don't see any player trades happening with Oakland. Draft trades maybe....in fact, Oakland is likely to suck again this year so if by some miracle we could get our '05 #1 back that'd be awesome. But I don't see them doing that either so I really don't think this is going to happen.

elltrain22
05-11-2004, 06:21 PM
I love Travis, and I really want to see him stay, but if Willis is the real thing, and he has a good season, then I say move him. Moving him now I think would be silly, b/c we simply don't know how Willis will perform yet.

Marvelous
05-12-2004, 09:52 AM
What scares me is That WM has yet to prove that he can make it in the NFL, or that he can stay healthy.
Henry is our best player now that Moulds had a down year and is aging.
I don't get why Bills fan would want to trade Henry.

DraftBoy
05-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
It won't happen this year. But looking into the future it is a possiblity. TD is setting this team up: Losman, Euhus Peters, McGahee andEvans, all of these players will be developing together much like the core of the Bills in the 90's. Whether they can accomplish the same is unknown, but I really don't see Henry in the mix when the reigns are turned over. Does anybody see Simonton as a capable #2?

I see Nick Maddox as more of a #2 back then Ken Simonton but both have the skills to produce. On the flip side both are also smallish. I would like to keep Henry for this year bc there are still too many unknowns about Willis. Plus IF we make the playoffs we can increase his trade value by showing he can produce in the playoffs always a bonus with a RB. I see Willis as 100% physically its more of the mental that im more concerned with. If he can get it into his head that his knee is back and he has full form again then I say he breaks out. If not oh well, a wasted 1st rounder, not like we havent ever done that before.

Henry and McGahee in 04!
Henry or McGahee in 05!

Dantheman1280
05-12-2004, 10:38 AM
WHAT THE ****, if we move Henry I will be very PISSED. He was the only reason we were in any games offensively. They didnt give him the ball in key situations, het still runs for over 1,000 on A ****IN BROKEN LEG. Now you people want to dump him for an unproven back with a bad history of knee problems. EVERY ONE WHO WANTS TO TRADE HENRY AT THIS POINT IS ON DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

DraftBoy
05-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
WHAT THE ****, if we move Henry I will be very PISSED. He was the only reason we were in any games offensively. They didnt give him the ball in key situations, het still runs for over 1,000 on A ****IN BROKEN LEG. Now you people want to dump him for an unproven back with a bad history of knee problems. EVERY ONE WHO WANTS TO TRADE HENRY AT THIS POINT IS ON DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the most intelligent post by far this year. What game after the 1st 2 were we ever in offensively? Hell what game all season were we ever fully in offensively? Our D won us every game last year. Henry has 1300+ yards last year and 10 TD's. His long run was only 64 yards and he fumbeled the ball 7 times. I dont see anything in those stats that cant be accomplished by a normal FA hell even James Stewart hit 1400, and we all know he sucks. Faulk had 818 yards and he was out for part of the year. Alexander 1435, Thomas 1042. Anyway you slice it a 1000 yard rusher is not what it used to be. we had 11 1000 yard rushers this past season and 2 others within 200 yards of it. Of the 1000 yard rushers Henry had a better avg then only 3 of them: Ricky, George, and Martin. He had the 2nd most fumbels in the league among RB's. He does have alot of posistives though: 6th in ypg, 10th in avg, 4th in att, 6th in TD's, 6th longest run in the NFL (Priest Holmes longest run was only 31 yards). He also lost the 2nd most fumbles in the NFL.

juice
05-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280

What if he gets injured again this year, misses 4-6 games and ends up with less than 1000 yds... we loose all trade value for him next year and never get compensation for the #1 we gave up to Dallas.

My point is get market value for him now, because if we wait and he has fumble problems or lacks production, we will get nothing for him next year.

John Doe
05-12-2004, 11:15 AM
My point is get market value for him now, because if we wait and he has fumble problems or lacks production, we will get nothing for him next year.

Believe it or not, we are trying to win now. You don't trade your best runner for a future draft pick if you are trying to win now.

DraftBoy
05-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by John Doe

Believe it or not, we are trying to win now. You don't trade your best runner for a future draft pick if you are trying to win now.

Trying to win now? Sure you keep thinking that. Our best runner who has consistent fumbling problems? Face it we are not geared to make a run this year. Playoffs? Possible. The future is still 1-2 years away: McG, Losman, Evans, Reed, Euhus.

thefixer74
05-12-2004, 01:37 PM

What if he gets injured again this year, misses 4-6 games and ends up with less than 1000 yds... we loose all trade value for him next year and never get compensation for the #1 we gave up to Dallas.

If JP winds up being great,that is our compensation,the GD pick was used on him.HELL,WHY DON'T WE TRADE SCHOBEL HE SHOULD HAVE HIGH TRADE VALUE AFTER LAST SEASON.

What is wrong with keeping both to compliment each other.We need to worry more about winning than we do about what each player is worth.

The_Philster
05-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by thefixer74
If JP winds up being great,that is our compensation,the GD pick was used on him.HELL,WHY DON'T WE TRADE SCHOBEL HE SHOULD HAVE HIGH TRADE VALUE AFTER LAST SEASON.

What is wrong with keeping both to compliment each other.We need to worry more about winning than we do about what each player is worth.
That makes too much sense. :shakeno:

McBFLO
05-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Trying to win now? Sure you keep thinking that. Our best runner who has consistent fumbling problems? Face it we are not geared to make a run this year. Playoffs? Possible. The future is still 1-2 years away: McG, Losman, Evans, Reed, Euhus.

What will our defense look like 2 years from now? It could be a lot worse off than it is right now. I think we keep him for this year and send him to Dallas or Oakland for at least a 2nd rounder next year. Hell, if Cincy got a #2 for Dillon, we should be able to get at least that.

Turf
05-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Henry makes slightly more than some backups. He's a steal at his price, and he's damn good IMO.

Bert102176
05-12-2004, 06:59 PM
I would rather trade WM, TH is awesome

Dr. Who
05-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Trading TH for a second rounder would be extremely foolish. Even thinking about trading TH for a first rounder is unwise at this point. For a top five pick in the 05 draft after WM has proven himself, sure, but not before. Those who want to send him to Dallas for our first round pick back in essense want to trade a proven TH, the 04 second and fifth for JP Losman. I think Losman has a good chance to be excellent down the road, but I'd rather trade (hopefully) a pick in the bottom half of the 05 first -- a totally unproven and 50/50 not going to develop player -- than a gutsy and proven player like Henry.

We are stronger with both of them on the roster. We ought not to make panic deals based on fears of jealousies or injury.

TedMock
05-14-2004, 09:49 AM
I don't want to trade him either, but I have to say that this is the highest his value will be. Oh well. We'll never get a top 5 pick for him. I don't see us getting more than a low first rounder. Marshall Faulk went for a 2nd rounder. Ya never do know though.

DraftBoy
05-14-2004, 09:53 AM
I think most of us discussing his price range are in agreement to deal him at the end of the season. At least thats my rationale.

juice
05-14-2004, 07:52 PM
I think most of us discussing his price range are in agreement to deal him at the end of the season. At least thats my rationale.

Fumbles could reduce his value to a 3rd rounder in a deep RB class after the season.. or a dropoff in production.

DraftBoy
05-14-2004, 09:55 PM

Fumbles could reduce his value to a 3rd rounder in a deep RB class after the season.. or a dropoff in production.

yea so could an injury or just losing the starting jobs. You sure do give a hell of alot of ifs. As for the RB class it should be weak again next season. Benson is a headliner right now. There will be more but hes near the top.

Im saying this: We go into the season with both running backs. Whichever one shows more and is a better fit for the team we keep the other goes. In my mind Id like to think it will be Willis. Hes is more of the gamebreaker type back. Plus I dont like Henry's attitude towards the situation or his prior trouble with the police.

juice
05-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Henry having fumble problems is not a Big If, when he has had the problem throughout his Bills carreer and will probably split carries with WM, therefore limiting his overall production.

DraftBoy
05-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Yes but thankfully most gms arent stupid and see Buffalo trying to develop talent. Henry is a proven commodity and somebody damn good for a team like Dallas, or NYJ. Just happens to be that we are blessed with the problem of having two dynamite RB's (possibly)

juice
05-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Yes but thankfully most gms arent stupid and see Buffalo trying to develop talent. Henry is a proven commodity and somebody damn good for a team like Dallas, or NYJ. Just happens to be that we are blessed with the problem of having two dynamite RB's (possibly)

Are the Bills trying to develope Henry as a talent or is he a proven commodity.. If he's proven then we should try to deal him now before his value drops because of a RB controversy.

You cant have it both ways.

ParanoidAndroid
05-15-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't think anyone will give up a first rounder for Henry before this season- especially teams that are rebuilding- when they know that he would come cheaper next year if Buffalo is already leaning in McGahee's favor. I'm surprised no one is talking about Davis and Foster in Carolina. After seeing what Foster can do, it seems that Davis may become trade bait. The situation here in Buffalo contains too much potential for disaster. I think TH stays.

The_Philster
05-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Are the Bills trying to develope Henry as a talent or is he a proven commodity.. If he's proven then we should try to deal him now before his value drops because of a RB controversy.

You cant have it both ways.

Then we have Joe Burns as our only proven back. As far as Travis, his fumble counts have dropped...he's doing better protecting the ball.

John Doe
05-15-2004, 06:36 AM
We are stronger with both of them on the roster. We ought not to make panic deals based on fears of jealousies or injury.

Exactly

Jan Reimers
05-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Let's trade Travis RIGHT NOW, so we'll have as our number 1 RB a guy coming off a severe Knee injury who has never even been involved in one single contact drill. And back him up with Joe Burns, whose 40 time is measured with a sun dial; Ken Simonton; Shaud Williams; and Freddy Smith.

Awesome.

The_Philster
05-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Let's trade Travis RIGHT NOW, so we'll have as our number 1 RB a guy coming off a severe Knee injury who has never even been involved in one single contact drill. And back him up with Joe Burns, whose 40 time is measured with a sun dial; Ken Simonton; Shaud Williams; and Freddy Smith.

Awesome.

:hail: Pure genius ;)

helmetguy
05-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Who else do we have that we can trade? Let's see...Moulds, if he has a decent year; Clements' stock is rising; Wire has a ton of potential...blah, blah, blah...This a great way to build a team!!! Take all the guys who've done well for us, THEN TRADE 'EM when they're at "peak value" for a bunch of draft picks! If we work it right, we could have all 32 picks in the 1st round of the 2053 draft! Sheer Brilliance!

HEY! TD!!! Are you listening? Juice is onto something...

colin
05-15-2004, 09:29 AM
I think WM will run better than Henry because our massive line while poor at pass blocking destroys little DEs on the running game. Give WM 20 chances a game, he breaks at least one and maybe 2. 2 long runs will skew his production way over henry.

WM is also a good blocker and WR.

Of course if he gets hurt we still have Henry. But if he is healthy he WILL beat out Henry and we should get a top 15 pick for Henry, maybe a good player. I could see us getting that good corner from the Raiders for him, sort of like the Portis/Bailey trade. Or that pass rushing DT they have in Oakland. No one is giving up a top Tackle for a RB.

juice
05-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Who else do we have that we can trade? Let's see...Moulds, if he has a decent year; Clements' stock is rising; Wire has a ton of potential...blah, blah, blah...This a great way to build a team!!! Take all the guys who've done well for us, THEN TRADE 'EM when they're at "peak value" for a bunch of draft picks! If we work it right, we could have all 32 picks in the 1st round of the 2053 draft! Sheer Brilliance!

HEY! TD!!! Are you listening? Juice is onto something...

With the additions through FA and the draft this team MIGHT be able to improve to .500 this year.. is another last place finish in the AFC-EAST acceptable to you?
Originally posted by colin

I think WM will run better than Henry because our massive line while poor at pass blocking destroys little DEs on the running game. Give WM 20 chances a game, he breaks at least one and maybe 2. 2 long runs will skew his production way over henry.

WM is also a good blocker and WR.

Of course if he gets hurt we still have Henry. But if he is healthy he WILL beat out Henry and we should get a top 15 pick for Henry, maybe a good player. I could see us getting that good corner from the Raiders for him, sort of like the Portis/Bailey trade. Or that pass rushing DT they have in Oakland. No one is giving up a top Tackle for a RB.

Good thought but if WM cuts into TH's production we MIGHT be able to get a 3rd rounder for him.. not a top 15 next year.

The_Philster
05-15-2004, 11:03 AM
With the additions through FA and the draft this team MIGHT be able to improve to .500 this year.. is another last place finish in the AFC-EAST acceptable to you?

If McGahee doesn't pan out, we could be looking at one of the worst teams in the league. Ever heard the old saying about a bird in the hand? ;)

juice
05-15-2004, 04:07 PM
We had that Bird in the hand last year and still were one of the worst teams in the League... major changes are needed to get this team out of the cellar.

helmetguy
05-15-2004, 04:26 PM
We had that Bird in the hand last year and still were one of the worst teams in the League... major changes are needed to get this team out of the cellar.

Aside from your determination to trade Henry, do YOU have any suggestions? Suggestions not evolving from excessive use hallucinogens?

bills_7
05-15-2004, 04:29 PM
i think weve made the major changes already....

jst a few minor adjustments needed now if any

maybe we can get a key FA

juice
05-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Aside from your determination to trade Henry, do YOU have any suggestions? Suggestions not evolving from excessive use hallucinogens?

You must be using Hallucinogens if you think this team will be competitive in the East with NE and the Upgrades they made in FA and the Draft... but we can always hope for a Wild Card.

Maybe the whole team can touch your Helmet for luck before every game.. We'll need it to improve to .500.

The_Philster
05-15-2004, 04:57 PM

major changes were made...you forget that we got rid of the two biggest problems on the 2003 edition of the Bills-Gilbride and GW?

juice
05-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
major changes were made...you forget that we got rid of the two biggest problems on the 2003 edition of the Bills-Gilbride and GW?

You are correct with the changes.. now all that is needed is an upgrade in the Talent Level... We've made the staff changes now we need the on field adjustments.

The_Philster
05-15-2004, 05:15 PM
You are correct with the changes.. now all that is needed is an upgrade in the Talent Level... We've made the staff changes now we need the on field adjustments.

Staff changes for the better produce on-field adjustments. An actual QB coach in Sam Wyche will improve Bledsoe; Jim McNally replacing Pat Ruel will improve the play of the O-line, even with the loss of Ruben Brown. It's not like these new coaches aren't going to do anything. The only decline I see will be on the defense because I think LeBeau added more to the defense than Jerry Gray. At the beginning of last season, we were predicting Super Bowl. On paper, the only real weakness I see keeping us down is at LDE. If we can develop some consistent pressure on the left side, our defense should be rock solid, even without LeBeau.
On offense, Kordell turned it around with lesser players when he got Mularkey replacing Gilbride. Drew, and the offense, should have a serious bounce-back year.

shelby
05-15-2004, 05:59 PM
juice, if McGahee is a bust, i am going to feel very bad for you.

helmetguy
05-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by shelby

You're such a softie!

juice
05-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by shelby

shelby, I'll get over it.. but the Bills organization is another story..It would probably mean TD's job, and a few more years of rebuilding... unless we can win the AFC-East from the Pats.

thefixer74
05-16-2004, 01:28 AM
With our piss poor coaching and Kildrive's O calling,we still were in 6 of our 10 losses.We are as talented as any of the top teams in the NFL and our D should be better this year(being the second year most are together).

BillyT92679
05-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I suppose this is the case, but Mularky is still a rookie head coach. He could be almost as bad, if not as bad or worse than GW.

The Spaz
05-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
I suppose this is the case, but Mularky is still a rookie head coach. He could be almost as bad, if not as bad or worse than GW.

No he couldn't.

juice
05-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by thefixer74
With our piss poor coaching and Kildrive's O calling,we still were in 6 of our 10 losses.We are as talented as any of the top teams in the NFL and our D should be better this year(being the second year most are together).

We aren't as talented as the top AFC-East team and they are vastly improved through FA and the draft... not to mention they are getting their best Defensive player back in Colvin. Law will be out to prove that he is as good as he has been claiming all off-season and they may have picked up a 1200 yd rusher VIA FA.

The_Philster
05-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
Don't say that kind of stuff. :scared: :couch: :yikes: