• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Is Tampa that desperate for fans?

Tampa Bay Lightning May Offer Free Beer

TAMPA, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Lightning (news) is hoping to tap into larger crowds by offering unlimited free beer to season ticket holders.

But the sudsy sale may not reach its goal if safe-driving advocates have their way.

Police and several area chapters of Mothers Against Drunk Driving say the hockey team's offer is irresponsible.

"Why attach alcohol to a season-ticket plan? It's almost encouraging people to drink more than they should because it is free," said Sgt. Chris Velar, who runs the Police Department's drunken driving squad.

During the first Eastern Conference playoff game between the Lightning and the Philadelphia Flyers (news) Saturday, the St. Pete Times Forum's main scoreboard advertised the offer. Those who paid $100 toward 2004-05 season tickets were eligible for unlimited free beer during the game.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

I feel a riot coming on in Tampa!?

Comment

• realmendontwearteal
      Blue and Gold perhaps....
      • Dec 2003

this is a dumb idea..... they are desprate for fans after the flyers beat them easily in game 2
      Curt Schilling needs to STFU

Comment

• SkateZilla
        • Dec 2002

lmao

Norfolk had that deal..

and we barely had an average of 2800-3000 on hand.. regardless on how the team played..
        Skate Zilla
        -----------------------
        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Ð
          1-800-SAD-GOAT
          • Jul 2002

I've been to a hockey game in Tampa, just shortly after the new rink opened in 2000.

Worst hockey crowd I've ever seen. We left by the beginning of the third period because it was like a tomb in there.

Comment

• SABuffalo786
            • Feb 2003

Florida in general sucks in terms of sporting support. The Philly fans were louder the other night.
            "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
            We are the Rockpile
            We are the Rockpile
            BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• realmendontwearteal
              Blue and Gold perhaps....
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by SABuffalo786
              Florida in general sucks in terms of sporting support. The Philly fans were louder the other night.

very true..... but i still hate the flyers
              Curt Schilling needs to STFU

Comment

Working...
              X