PDA

View Full Version : Cut or trade Shaw?

The Natrix
05-12-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm not saying I would definitely like to see it happen, just throwing it out there. I think Moulds, Evans, Reed are #1, #2, #3 respectively, no doubt about it. Antonio Brown will probably be cut because he is rotted out. I'm not saying Shaw isn't any good, but what is to become of Aiken and Coleman? It's pretty outrageous to get rid of Aiken after a rookie season considering he was a 4th rounder, and I really like what I saw from Coleman in limited action. Again, shaw isn't that bad and he held his own as a #2 (if a weak one) but now that he is unquestionably a #4, then why not cut him loose and give him a chance to get a better opportunity elsewhere? What you see is what you get with Shaw. We are not going to see a huge improvement in the guy's play. But there is a better chance we could see a marginal or huge improvement in Coleman or Aiken's play or both, so why not? Worst case senario: a slight downgrade at the #4 position. Better case senario: an upgrade at the #4 WR for LESS $$$. Best case senario: One of those two guys steps up and replaces a struggling Reed or Evans, although unlikely. Shaw was a nice player last year, but I'm not sure where he fits in this year.

chubluv
05-12-2004, 11:27 PM
I cant see us keeping 7 WRs unless MM loves them all and thinks he has quality depth at all other positions. I think Shaw or Coleman would be the odd man out unless antonio Brown has a crappy camp then he would be gone...

chubluv
05-12-2004, 11:28 PM
also dont forget Jonathon Smith from GTech that we drafted he can play RB or WR so this should be an interesting camp to see how it all goes down.

The Natrix
05-12-2004, 11:31 PM
I don't see any reason to keep Antonio Brown around. He has no quicks, moves, or feel for the return game. Yes, he is fast, but so was Michael Johnson and my high school track captain.

Tatonka
05-13-2004, 12:15 AM
i dont think that there is any way we get rid of shaw.. he makes no money.. and he is an incredible number 4.. that covers us in case of injuries.

TKO
05-13-2004, 12:48 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Mularkey was looking to use Shaw/Reed interchangeably in the slot position so I don't see Shaw being released. Plus, he provides good depth at WR so I think it would be wise to keep him on the roster in case of injuries.

mypoorfriendme
05-13-2004, 12:49 AM
antonio brown i think is as close as a gurentee cut as there is on this team

TKO
05-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
antonio brown i think is as close as a gurentee cut as there is on this team
I hope so. He's a waste of a roster spot.

SeatownBillsFan21
05-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Shaw is way more proven than reed he should stay b4 reed IMO.GO BILLS

B-DON
05-13-2004, 01:39 AM
reed is still young and will be better than shaw but i still wouldt cut shaw

SeatownBillsFan21
05-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Me too i think they should split time but training camp will decide all but we shoul keep shaw he had the best stats of all our wideouts last season but moulds was hurt. Anyways GO BILLS!!!

The_Philster
05-13-2004, 04:52 AM
Cutting Shaw, who was very productive for us in 2003 and costs little, would be blatantly stupid. Unless his camp in 2004 is totaly awful, the only way he's leaving Buffalo this year is via a trade.

TKO
05-13-2004, 05:54 AM
Isn't Shaw familiar with Mularkey's offense as well?

JefftheBillsfan
05-13-2004, 05:58 AM
maybe he can give PR a shot this year, and maybe McGee/smith on KR?

Goobylal
05-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Shaw likely isn't going anywhere given his experience in the face of a mostly-inexperienced WR corps and his familiarity with MM's system, and probably wouldn't fetch enough to make trading him worthwhile anyway. I say Moulds, Evans, Reed, and Shaw are locks and make for a formidable WR corps. I think that they keep 6 WR's meaning the last 2 spots are a dogfight between Aiken, Brown, Coleman, and Smith (probably makes the PS). Whoever shows the most in pre-season and training camp wins, and hopefully they make it hard on the Bills coaches.

ryjam282
05-13-2004, 07:00 AM
I agree with Goob, it will be those 4 with the other 4 younger guys battling it out for the last 2 spots on the team.

HenryRules
05-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Didn't Shaw outperform Reed last year?

And Evans hasn't played a down yet. How do you have Shaw as the #4 receiver on our depth chart? He's #2 in my books

justasportsfan
05-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Every wr is back to square 1 under a new system. Let them battle it out at camp before you start cutting anyone.

tampabay25690
05-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Y would you cut SHAW........................He did perform better last year the did Reed....

When Moulds went down they needed a guy to step up and make big catches and Reed wasn't there, Shaw was. I know Shaw doesn't have the speed, but he catches the ball and runs great routes. I would wait to see if Reed can actually step up at this level before we cut Shaw.

TedMock
05-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Shaw moved to Moulds spot. He was the primary WR at that point. It's not that Reed wasn't there, he was still playing the #2 position. I want us to keep Shaw but he (along with Reed and Moulds) went through a period of the dropsies last season too.

Hermanator21
05-13-2004, 11:14 AM
3rd down and goal, the ball is at the eight yard line, with 3 seconds left in the game........I would much rather this lineup Moulds,Evans on the the outsides,and Reed and Shaw in the insides and a Tackle eligibale(sp) named Jason Peters...........

tampabay25690
05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Yea but for Shaw, he isn't a #1 WR anywhere, I think he played damn good for going in the #1 WR spot.......I think With Evans, Moulds, Reed, and Shaw we might have one of the best 4 WR sets in the NFL.....

TigerJ
05-13-2004, 12:05 PM
There will be a lot of competition to be sure. Mularkey would have to have a compelling reason to keep more than 5 receivers. Shaw doesn't take much cap space, it's hard to imagine him being cut. Antonio Brown will not stick if he's anywhere close to the same player he was last year. He's got to put on some muscle and show a lot more versatility in preseason. It's hard to measure him on returns in preseason because he was so productive there a year ago in preseason, so he would have to show he's ready to be a receiver too. Coleman will have a hard time sticking too. Someone has to get injured or really fall flat on his face in training camp for these guys to make it. It's not that Coleman doesn't have talent. I'd love to see him succeed, but it's a numbers game. Mojlds, Evans, and Reed have as close as yuou can come to a guarantee that they will be on the 53 man roster. Shaw and Aiken are probables because Shaws production easily justifies his cost and Aiken gets a bye for being a 4th round pick. Let's see, that leaves about zero spots where there might be a really wide open competition.

bills_7
05-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Shaw will stay and i think reed may fall to the #4 spot as the season moves on....

Shaw put up better #'s at the slot then reed di when he played the slot 2 yrs ago... and shaw beat reeds stats with the worst OFF, while reed had a great OFF... but will jst have to wait and see..... i think we will see some 4wr sets this yr.... it will definitly be an interesting yr

colemen will get cut i think

MM i think may have some plans for AB for some tricks plays.... i want him around this season to see what he can do on KR....

i didnt mind him on PR.... he never dropped a ball (im pretty sure anyway, maybe 1 if any)

he will be more comfortable i would give him a chance at least at KR

DraftBoy
05-13-2004, 12:36 PM
I actually see us carrying all the same WR's as last year with no changes:
Evans, Moulds, Coleman, Aiken, Reed, Brown, Shaw

put Smith down on the PS since its been expanded to 7 for this season. I think they are gonna keep Brown around for the season or at least through the preseason to see how he does with April as his new coach and see if April can fix his problem with Brown getting his footing on the field. I wouldnt say anybody is a sure cut. Mularkey loves to have a speed WR on the team and thats not neccesairly his #1 option. Randle El and a kid for Texas El-Paso were his burners on Pitt. I wouldnt be surprised to see him keep Brown and get him in on some more plays this season. Just IMO.

The Spaz
05-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
I actually see us carrying all the same WR's as last year with no changes:
Evans, Moulds, Coleman, Aiken, Reed, Brown, Shaw

put Smith down on the PS since its been expanded to 7 for this season. I think they are gonna keep Brown around for the season or at least through the preseason to see how he does with April as his new coach and see if April can fix his problem with Brown getting his footing on the field. I wouldnt say anybody is a sure cut. Mularkey loves to have a speed WR on the team and thats not neccesairly his #1 option. Randle El and a kid for Texas El-Paso were his burners on Pitt. I wouldnt be surprised to see him keep Brown and get him in on some more plays this season. Just IMO.

I thought the practice squad is 8 players now. Also what do you do with Evans?

DraftBoy
05-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I think its only 7 but I may be wrong, I hope its 8.

Evans obviously will be on the team and hopefully make a huge impact and yes hes a big burner but hes also got be covered well by a corner and if he proves himself early he'll get some recognition. Mularkey likes to have the speed from underneath. Im guessing so they get a good release. Brown being moved to a #4 slot or #5 and releasing from the slot would provide him with a full speed start on either a backpedling corner or a LB or S. Anyway you look at it its a mismatch with his speed just gotta hope he can catch. At WVU he was the #1 target.

mikemac2001
05-13-2004, 02:48 PM
like to see coleman return some more kicks, i liked how he would run straight and hit a spot on the punt returns in preseason not like brown how he dances

McBFLO
05-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I'm not saying I would definitely like to see it happen, just throwing it out there. I think Moulds, Evans, Reed are #1, #2, #3 respectively, no doubt about it. Antonio Brown will probably be cut because he is rotted out. I'm not saying Shaw isn't any good, but what is to become of Aiken and Coleman? It's pretty outrageous to get rid of Aiken after a rookie season considering he was a 4th rounder, and I really like what I saw from Coleman in limited action. Again, shaw isn't that bad and he held his own as a #2 (if a weak one) but now that he is unquestionably a #4, then why not cut him loose and give him a chance to get a better opportunity elsewhere? What you see is what you get with Shaw. We are not going to see a huge improvement in the guy's play. But there is a better chance we could see a marginal or huge improvement in Coleman or Aiken's play or both, so why not? Worst case senario: a slight downgrade at the #4 position. Better case senario: an upgrade at the #4 WR for LESS $$$. Best case senario: One of those two guys steps up and replaces a struggling Reed or Evans, although unlikely. Shaw was a nice player last year, but I'm not sure where he fits in this year.

I was wondering about this too. We could get a lte round pick for him. Maybe a 5th next year to get back the one we gave up for Losman?

MTBillsFan
05-13-2004, 06:20 PM
NO WAY! Most of Shaw's catches last year were important 3rd down receptions. It was good that he was there because Reed couldn't have caught a cold last year! Just imagine for a second...Moulds and Evens outside, Reed and Shaw on the inside and Willis coming out of the backfield...who's drew going to hook up with and the the Touch Down? Weapons all over the field baby! KEEP SHAW and get rid of some of the dead weight...ala Brown...
Peace!

MTBillsFan
05-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by MTBillsFan
NO WAY! Most of Shaw's catches last year were important 3rd down receptions. It was good that he was there because Reed couldn't have caught a cold last year! Just imagine for a second...Moulds and Evens outside, Reed and Shaw on the inside and Willis coming out of the backfield...who's drew going to hook up with and the the Touch Down? Weapons all over the field baby! KEEP SHAW and get rid of some of the dead weight...ala Brown...
Peace!

Um yeah, I meant to say, who's drew going to hook up with and get the Touch Down....
My Bad!

The_Philster
05-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Didn't Shaw outperform Reed last year?

And Evans hasn't played a down yet. How do you have Shaw as the #4 receiver on our depth chart? He's #2 in my books
:scared: We agree on something...I don't know how to feel about that. :ontome: ;)

Originally posted by justasportsfan
Every wr is back to square 1 under a new system. Let them battle it out at camp before you start cutting anyone.
I doubt there will be many major changes from last year. When Mularkey took over for Gilbride in Pittsburgh, the main difference was that he took away the multiple reads that the WRs made. Kordell had so many extra reads to make..he was off and running instead of reading through his progressions cause the pocket collapsed. I guess Gilbride believes that the QB should have all the time in the world. :idunno:

RedEyE
05-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Holding onto 5 WR in a 2 TE set offense might prove difficult. As far as Shaw is concerned, IMO, he out played Reed all season long. While Reed struggled, Shaw emerged amongst the ranks to pick up the slack. Reed needs to prove himself before he is just handed the slot position. Shaw might give him a run for his money in training camp.

The Spaz
05-13-2004, 07:07 PM
We are going to be using multiple formations we won't be stuck in just one.

shelby
05-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Bobby Shaw helped win me a fantasy football championship last season.

He is underrated. i hope we keep him.

RedEyE
05-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
We are going to be using multiple formations we won't be stuck in just one.

Of course. None the less Mularakey has stated that they will depend more on the 2 TE set, which means that we'll have to carry an extra TE on the roster to support it.

TigerJ
05-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Randel El is actually not very fast, Draft Boy. He runs somewhere between a 4.55 and 4.6. He's been productive because he's so elusive. You make a grab for him and he's no longer there. He doesn't outrun that many people though.

I would be shocked of Buffalo0 carried seven wide receivers. It would have to be because the Bills want to save them for the future and keeping them on the roster is the only way to do it. The first 3 will get a lot of snaps. Number 4 will get a modest number. Numbers 5-7 might get 10 receptions between them all year. You pretty much have to carry a #5 as injury insurance. He's usually a special teams guy too. Numbers 6 and 7 are essentially excess baggage. I can't see that any of those guys who aren't in the top 4 are valuable enough the Buffalo would use a roster spot it didn't have to.

thefixer74
05-14-2004, 02:21 AM
I'm not saying cut shaw but hit show boat drop against Tenn cost us the game.

Tatonka
05-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Of course. None the less Mularakey has stated that they will depend more on the 2 TE set, which means that we'll have to carry an extra TE on the roster to support it.

he will keep 3 TEs.. same as wel did last year.

TypicalBill
05-14-2004, 08:52 AM
With his cap figure, i dont see us cutting him, we could definitely
use him in the slot against the opponents nickel and dime backs... he's a mismatch right there with his experience. I also dont think any team would really give us a 4th rounder or higher for him at this point, so keeping him and using him to our advantage would be a much wiser option. Him and Reed in the slot should help Drew. Teams will respect our short, quick passing game. Everytime they decide to blitz, Drew should have a quick option to throw to underneath.

DraftBoy
05-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Randel El is actually not very fast, Draft Boy. He runs somewhere between a 4.55 and 4.6. He's been productive because he's so elusive. You make a grab for him and he's no longer there. He doesn't outrun that many people though.

I would be shocked of Buffalo0 carried seven wide receivers. It would have to be because the Bills want to save them for the future and keeping them on the roster is the only way to do it. The first 3 will get a lot of snaps. Number 4 will get a modest number. Numbers 5-7 might get 10 receptions between them all year. You pretty much have to carry a #5 as injury insurance. He's usually a special teams guy too. Numbers 6 and 7 are essentially excess baggage. I can't see that any of those guys who aren't in the top 4 are valuable enough the Buffalo would use a roster spot it didn't have to.

You are correct hes not as fast as he is quick. The kid has tremendance acceleration and cut on a dime. Which is why he is so elusive. Carrying 7 WR doesnt seem outrageous to me. We'll have what 3-4 RB's Henry, Mcg, Burns, and Shelton? Really WR would be the only posistion that I think we need the depth at bc aside from our #1. Moulds, every other posistion is up for grabs in camp. Evans, Shaw, Reed, and all the others have to earn their keep and that being said I wouldnt be surprised to see us carrying 7 WR.

elltrain22
05-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Shaw was awesome his first 4 games of the season last year, and who is to say that he cannot get back to that level of success. Shaw will be a very effective #4 or #3 wr.