PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Draft Thoughts

TigerJ
10-23-2002, 07:38 PM
Colin Lindsay runs the Great Blue North Draft Report website. He just wrote up an interesting article on the 2003 draft. He says basically that while there are a lot of players who carry first round grades (40-50 collegians likely to be in the draft could carry 1st round grades) apart from Michigan State Jr. WR Charles Rogers who has emerged as close to a consensus #1 pick things are as fluid as they've ever been with players moving quickly up and down the boards as they have good or not so notable games. The gist of it from my perspective as a Bills fan is that picking in the second round (later rather than sooner being an increasing possibility) this is the best possible scenario. A good player might slip to the Bills under these circumstances. Tom Donahoe is better equipped than most people to snatch a good player who has slipped.

Conversely Cincinnati, which looks like they will have a very high pick, and which buys a $7 copy of the Sporting New Draft Guide instead of employing a staff of scouts (just kidding, but only a little) could easily muff a pick in the top 5.

Here is the link for the Great Blue North Draft Report article.

http://www.cyberus.ca/~lindsay/scoutsnotebook.htm

By the way, it looks like NE's extra first round pick continues to drop LOL. Ironically, the better the trade for DB works out for Buffalo, the worse it looks fro NE in terms of their resulting draft pick.

casdhf
10-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Who cares? We're gonna have the #32 pick in the second round, lets worry about it then.

venis2k1
10-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Cincy is going to take Byron Leftwich, i had The ravens taking him, but it looks like they are gonna almost be Playoff contenders this year.

casdhf
10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
no way cincy gambles on another QB

4thAndLong
10-23-2002, 08:58 PM
Cas, they have no choice. Unless Akili, Gus, or Jon do something miraculous there, they have to go for another QB. Whether it be FA or the draft. They need someone who can lead that offense, especially with Dillon threatening to retire.

casdhf
10-23-2002, 09:02 PM
not with Mike Brown in charge.....Klingler, A.Smith, Ki-Jana Carter, Warrick.....they will take as close to a can't miss as possible

4thAndLong
10-23-2002, 09:08 PM
I think he'll take Leftwich, if he doesn't he's a complete moron. Dillon threatening to retire should make him hire a GM or something.

Dozerdog
10-23-2002, 09:10 PM
IF cincy has the #1 pick- they should go for Rogers first. (Or trade it down).

This is a rich draft for QBs. they can do very well drafting a QB in the second rd or later.

Take the lead from San Diego- They gave up Vick for Tomlinson, Dwight, and I think Reche Caldwell this season, and they got Drew Brees in the 2nd.

SoCalBillsFan
10-23-2002, 09:11 PM
that's what happened dozer, it was one move butler was very smart on. Yes, he gave up vick, but he got several good players out of the deal and now they are a contender.

casdhf
10-23-2002, 09:17 PM
I'd take the WR....there will be some descent QBs on the market. Kordell Stewart anyone?

WG
10-23-2002, 09:24 PM
D-E-F-E-N-S-E!!!

Rounds 2-5!!!

DDDDDD

venis2k1
10-23-2002, 11:07 PM
I am still not so sure that San Diego made out the best on that deal, I think when you get a chance do draft a player that will change this game so much you must act on it. It would be like not taking Wilt Chamberlin.

ublinkwescore
10-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Anybody heard of Bernard Berrian from Fresno State?

I used to play football in the street with him when I lived in Winton (right next to Atwater) - lived across the street, and down like two houses from him.

Do you think he'll go in the first round in next year's draft (not the one that the Patriots get our first rounder in, but the one after that - he's saving his eligibility to play for them since he got hurt this year).

Thoughts?

TypicalBill
10-24-2002, 02:08 AM
id take Greg Gathers - DE(Georgia Tech as our 2nd round pick) He was supposed to be a first rounder but had kidney problems and is out for the year. He is The Yellow Jackets all time sack leader although he is a little bit undersized. He's like Gbaja Biamila or whatever his name is From the Packers but a little bigger. He would be awesome at definite pass plays, he would be a real threat. And then go for A DT in free Agency and resign Chidi for one year until gathers develops into an every down player.

Georgia tech's TONY HOLLINGS also had the NCAA Leading rusher until he tore something and is out for the season. He actually gets to 120-130 yards until halftime and 3 - 4 touchdown and then they'd sit him and get the reserve playing cuz they would have the game in their hands. But we dont need a running back right? wrong, when Bryson is gone after this season we will definately need a young running back to back up Henry and if we could back him up with a stud then thats :fabulous:

lordofgun
10-24-2002, 08:35 AM
I think it would be funny if we drafted all offense. :D

Earthquake Enyart
10-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Wys head would explode.

colin
10-24-2002, 09:37 AM
I love draft time. As far as the SD Vick trade goes, I think both teams did very well. ATL and Reeves are doing exactly the right thing with Vick, and LT and friends are good for SD. A trade can be good for both teams, the teams have different needs.

clumping platelets
10-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wys head would explode.

Maybe we can get JJamez to make a video of that :)

:ontome:

clumping platelets
10-24-2002, 10:06 AM
I really feel the draft should be used to upgrade depth and overall team speed. The salary cap is NOT a hindrance to re-signing ANY of our FAs(UFA or RFA). Free Agency can be the avenue utilized to address the major concern on the DL, be it LDT or LDE.

Bills are in a position to take the "best player available". My belief is that, TD uses FA to add a quality DL and re-sign Peerless (who BTW may be looking for Moulds' type $$). As stated above, focus on depth and team speed. The defense especially needs more at LB. Future FA concerns at CB(Winfield) and OL(Jennings and Sullivan) necessitate drafting an OL for development and another key: WE WILL NOT BE GETTING ANY COMP PICKS IN 2003!!!!!!!! Our UFAs signed >>>>>> UFAs lost, thus NO COMP PICKS

My early draft:

2) DE Michael Haynes(Penn St) 6'3" 295: Haynes is a LDE with Penn. St and has the size to be an every down DE. He's strong vs. the run and has above average pass-rushing skills. However, he's likely to go higher than mid 2nd but he would be my pick here.

3) LB Eddie Strong(Ole Miss) 6'3 1/2" 245: Versatile. Can play all LB'ing positions in 4-3 set. Solid vs. run

4) FS Willie Pile(Va Tech) 6'2" 205: Has played both safety spots and some CB vs. bigger WR. Has strong special teams background because Va Tech has THE best special teams in the NCAA. Big hitter that can develop while contributing on ST

5) G/T Bryan Anderson(Pittsburgh) 6'5" 300: Versatile OL. Has played primarily G this season, but has some experience at T.

6) CB Mike Lehan(Minnesota) 5'11" 194: can run 4.4 40 and is solid special teams player as well as cover CB. Not a great run supporter but could fill a nickel or dime role on D

7) WR Michael Hayes(Southern) 6'3" 205: Suffered season ending knee injury early in 2001 season. Was likely to enter 2002 draft as junior and would have been a day one pick. Hasn't rebounded completely from injury which will likely hurt draft status. Could be a developmental type

The above scenario changes if Price leaves as FA or myriad of other things happens.

:)

Dozerdog
10-24-2002, 10:15 AM
I asked Ingtar earlier this month after the Raider defensive debacle to look at the Bill's weaknesses and to compare that to what is available in the draft.

He said that the 2002 draft was MUCH deeper than the 2003 draft on defense. However, the 2002 draft was weak at Linebacker, and the 2003 draft is very strong and deep at that position.

Projecting that we will get a pick somewhere around 45-55, the early prediction is that the Bills go for linebacker.

It fills an immediate need with the best available player. Iagree with clump, that we wiill go after a DL or two in FA.

venis2k1
10-24-2002, 10:18 AM
this draft wont be as productive for us as the last two season's have. i cant see any Rookies starting for us, unless it is at FB if larry decides to retire. We took at DE in the second round in this years draft, he hasn't even come close to producing for us. i am not saying that Denny wont be a good player in the futre, but his rookie season isn't going too well.

venis2k1
10-24-2002, 10:20 AM
we could also start a LineBacker, good call.

jdbillsfan
10-24-2002, 11:50 AM
I agree with venis. In his 2nd year Vick is already changing the game. They got lucky to land Brees in the 2nd rd, but I am still not totally sold on him. LT is awesome, but Vick....

I also agree with Clump on drafting some team speed on D. Especially at LB. A good rookie LB, plus a solid FA DL we'll be in business.

DraftBoy
10-24-2002, 02:42 PM
I would say we need to go like this:
2nd-Pass Rushing OLB
3rd-DE/DT
4th-QB
5th-DE/DT
6th-MLB
7th-OL

venis2k1
10-24-2002, 04:09 PM
ehhhhh i dont know if we should get a MLB, we will get my boy Spoon back, and Jones can play MLB too.

TigerJ
10-24-2002, 06:04 PM
If Buffalo were to go OLB in the second round of the 2003 draft, I think rather than a pure pass rusher (a la Keith Newman) they would be better served to get an all around backer who can read and cover (Robinson's replacement).

The_Philster
10-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
this draft wont be as productive for us as the last two season's have. i cant see any Rookies starting for us, unless it is at FB if larry decides to retire. We took at DE in the second round in this years draft, he hasn't even come close to producing for us. i am not saying that Denny wont be a good player in the futre, but his rookie season isn't going too well.

I don't know about FB. For one, Centers did sign an extension and will very likely stick around another year if it looks like we should be ghood next year. Besides, we do have Philip Crosby and he's started this season in one game and has played rather well for us the last season and a half.

venis2k1
10-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Tru Dat Tiger, I still think that we would be Alot better off trying to coax Spikes away from the horrible cincy. Did i mention he is very good friends with Price?

Tatonka
10-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

dont forget that we have fergusen on the PS.. he was a great great FB at vtech.

DraftBoy
10-24-2002, 07:57 PM
I still say we need a pure pass rush OLB, Newman I think would be better served as ouor all-over OLB. Spoon didnt do anything special last year, and Jones aint nothing. Depth cant hurt. Ferguson is a great pass catching FB, but hes like 5'8. I still like him.

angneli
10-24-2002, 08:20 PM
Teddy Lehman would be a good pick.

Ingtar33
10-24-2002, 11:54 PM
Right now I'd say that we should take a gamble with a Safety... the Bills need a quality Free Safety more than any other position right now. This is not a shot at Prioleau, but the fact remains he is a little slow, has stiff hips, and breaks poorly the ball. That is why he played SS... and while he might be the best FS we've got he really isn't much.

This draft is fairly deep at S, and considering safeties usually don't get drafted early or often there should be a top 5 FS left on the board by the time the Bills pick in the second round.

I'd then go with either a project "speed burning" DB or a fast OLB in the third round. LB is so deep this year it should be possible to "steal" some serious quality and speed deep into rounds 4 and 5 (that’s not saying they all will make it... just that there is enough talent some will slip through the cracks)

Either way, this FA period the Bills should be signing speed, because one of the failings of the Bills right now is their front seven are not that fast (with the exception of Fletcher). Even Newman has never been a true speed burner. With some more speed on the front, and more quality depth on the DL (I like the starters just not the guys who are rotated in), this D just might get fixed in the Off-season.

TigerJ
10-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Since you've dropped some pretty heavy hints that your occupation puts you in a position to know college talent, Ingtar, could you drop some names, or does that violate the terms of your employment? I'm curious about Scott Shanle and Joe Odom at OLB and Corey Burns and Quentis Cumby at safety.

clumping platelets
10-25-2002, 09:56 AM
Willie Pile :)

TigerJ
10-25-2002, 12:09 PM
I always go to CouchScout.com for data. I don't know about the reliability of his rankings or his commentary, but for the sheer number of guys he covers, he's hard to beat. He likes Pile. Is he going to come out a year early for certain?

Another one I wonder about is Charles Drake. Would he drop toward the bottom of round two, I wonder?

Ingtar33
10-26-2002, 12:37 AM
I can name names... I just don't like to because technically everything I scout is property of the team. I can stay a little on the general side without serious rankings, and stick to "commentary" or scuttlebutt. Near draft time, when it is more clear who we are looking to take, and who wouldn't be available when we pick, I can get away with a little bit more (because I wouldn't be giving away any names we think we can steal). Of course I can comment on people who I haven't seen in person this year.

Pile, I haven't seen him yet this year in person. He is a great playmaker, with very good size, and good speed. My only concern is his propensity to get "burned" because he tends to get lazy and take plays off (I'm not the first to notice this, in fact this has been the knock against him his whole collegiate career). That said he is having a very good year this year, and is (in spite of his inconsistencies) probably positioning himself to go somewhere between 20th and 60th pick next April (as he is somewhat a freakishly quick and large safety). In essence, I've always liked Pile's nose for the ball and since the NFL has always loved physical specimens, he should go fairly high.

Scott Shanle, I have seen and about all I can tell you is he appears to be a little slow and underweight (for his frame)

Joe Odem, I will get to see later this year. What I can tell you is he looks very quick, has solid cover skills, and (in the instance of the Bills) would make a good weak side LB. The problem is he might not make it through the second round. From what I've heard (and the little I've seen and remember from last year), if the Bills can get him in the 3rd it would be an absolute steal.

C Burns (another guy I've yet to evaluate this year) is an absolute tackling machine, and is a solid cover safety. He is also a little bit on the slow side. If you're the Bills, he would be a huge steal anytime later than the mid-3rd round. Of course you have to ask yourself if the Bills need another SS, because that’s what he projects to be right now.

Q Cumby the senior FS from Kentucky I've yet to see, although I hear he is fairly good. Maybe in a few months I'll be more familiar with him. I think this is his first season starting full time.

C.Drake I've already seen, and all I'm going to say is he is a fairly good SS, and would be a quality pickup in the middle rounds... but again you have to ask yourself, how much do the Bills really need a SS?

TigerJ
10-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the input, Ingtar. Couch Scout, where I picked up these names, lumps all the safeties together. I was curious about them because of their size-speed combination and where Couch Scout had them ranked. As I hinted at earlier, I think Couch Scout is probably prone to a lot of error. You can't deal with the quantity of players that he catalogs and expect reall good accuracy. It's really great to have a NFL college scout posting on the Bills Fan Zone. Even though you can't tell us everything, I think it gives us a real edge, especially after the season as we approach the draft.

DraftBoy
10-26-2002, 08:16 PM
Do you work for the Bills or another team Ingtar? Just wondering its cool if you cant tell us. Anyways, I do like Pile alot, but this eyar I would like to see us get a better interception type safety than a hitter. We need to get more turnovers.

Ingtar33
10-27-2002, 12:54 AM
I work for another team... grew up in Buffalo (GI actually)

casdhf
10-27-2002, 07:56 AM
I doubt we'll go for a Safety with the extension they just gave Prieolu. I think we either take an End or an LB that can play on the weakside.