X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

The Influence of Numbers

Often production will get a college player noticed, particularly when that production comes in a big time conference. Apparently leading the SEC in rushing last season wasn't good enough to get Alabama running back Shaud Williams drafted.

The 2003 season saw Williams torch the rest of the conference for 1,367 yards averaging 4.9 yards per carry. So what were the negatives? He wasn't a one year wonder. He ran for almost 1,000 yards his freshman year at Texas Tech before transferring to Alabama and he averaged 5.5 yards per carry in his collegiate career. So what's the sticking point?

Probably the fact that Williams is 5'7" and 193 pounds.

Size has always been a stumbling block for NFL teams in some capacity when assessing talent long term, and Williams has heard it all before.

"I think it's always going to be that way," said Williams of his stature. "Just being at my size is something that has kind of always been a knock against me, and people are going to look at it as long as I'm able to play football. It's just something I'm going to have to deal with."

The Bills however, were only too happy to scoop him up after the draft concluded despite the lack of an alarming need at running back.

• The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

We had very good undrafted free agent signings.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
      We had very good undrafted free agent signings.
      yeah.. i really like the group we brought in. i feel like alot of them are like extra draft picks..

i think i am more optimistic about several of this years group than ever before.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
        Offical Billszone Starting QB
        • Mar 2003

I am curious to see this guy work. He was pretty good at 'Bama. Whether it's kick or punt returns, cause we all know RB he won't get much work at...

Ryan Withey
        Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

Working...
        X