PDA

View Full Version : Blake to Buffalo?

Bulldog
05-14-2004, 03:29 PM
• Jeff Blake, Buffalo: Why the Bills? Well, because the Jets, Bengals, Saints, Ravens and Cardinals are no longer possibilities. Blake has already been there, done that. Blake would give Buffalo a fairly safe middle option, should starter Drew Bledsoe continue to struggle or go down with an injury, and first-round pick J.P. Losman prove to be at least a year away, as everyone expects.

Blake can still move around and wing the ball on a line. The last Bills quarterback who flashed a little mobility did all right for himself. They named a cereal after Doug Flutie in Buffalo. Blake isn't a guy you're going to ask to mentor Losman, because he's been stepped over so many times by young, on-the-way-up passers that he's a tad bitter about it. But that's OK, because Bledsoe has promised to play the mentor. At least for this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpM2F2NGNjBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwNvZQ--?slug=backupplan&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

What do you think of this move if it actually happens?

The Spaz
05-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't mind Blake he's better than Kordell and I don't think Blake would command a lot of money either.

Samphin1
05-14-2004, 03:37 PM
I think Blake is better than Kordell. Kordell would be a terrible fit for you guys in my opinion. I don't think Blake is that great an option either. Honestly, if Bledose fails, I think Losman is your guy's best bet. If he is as good as al of you seem to think he is, he can be a spot starter or outright take over no problem. Blake, Gannon, Warner, Stewart, none of these guys seem like viable options for you guys.

However, in my humble opinion, making a play for Neil O'Donnell might not be a bad move for you guys. He showed McNair the ropes and would almost certainly have a positive influence on Losman imo. Just my two cents though.

lordofgun
05-14-2004, 03:42 PM
I'd love that move!

Bulldog
05-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1
I think Blake is better than Kordell. Kordell would be a terrible fit for you guys in my opinion. I don't think Blake is that great an option either. Honestly, if Bledose fails, I think Losman is your guy's best bet. If he is as good as al of you seem to think he is, he can be a spot starter or outright take over no problem. Blake, Gannon, Warner, Stewart, none of these guys seem like viable options for you guys.

However, in my humble opinion, making a play for Neil O'Donnell might not be a bad move for you guys. He showed McNair the ropes and would almost certainly have a positive influence on Losman imo. Just my two cents though.

I think it would be a mistake to play Losman as a rookie. He needs to learn for at least a year before he gets any extensive playing time! Blake for insurance purposes wouldn't be bad at all.

TedMock
05-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog

I think it would be a mistake to play Losman as a rookie. He needs to learn for at least a year before he gets any extensive playing time! Blake for insurance purposes wouldn't be bad at all.

I agree. I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind Kordell. Let me first state that I've HATED Kordell since the day he became a full time QB. So, why do I like him now? I don't. However, he is everything that Bledsoe is not. Bledsoe's a big, strong arm pocket passer. Stewart is a mobile QB who seems to play better on the run. I think Bledsoe is, and should be, our starter. If Bledsoe goes down in the 3rd quarter of some game, wouldn't it be nice to bring a guy in that's a totally different style to really throw off a defense? I'm not comfortable with Kordell as a long term option, but as a spot guy during a game here and there I'm okay with him.

justasportsfan
05-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Wys will finally have a paragraph that's positive and then move on to blasts Drew in the next 10 paragraphs of his articles if that happens.

McBFLO
Blake is a notorius locker room cancer. He'd be too much of a distraction to be worth it. No thanks.

Ebenezer
at the vet minimum I'd bring in Blake...Kordell...Warner...Collins...let them fight it out in training camp and go forth...never hurts to stock pile vets...I would rather bring in guys that can contribute rather than a bunch of FA never will be's.

The_Philster
05-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm for it. :up:

Originally posted by justasportsfan
Wys will finally have a paragraph that's positive and then move on to blasts Drew in the next 10 paragraphs of his articles if that happens.

:lol: You're like Miss Cleo ;)

casdhf
05-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Blake makes Keyshawn Johnson land Terrell Owens ook like team players. No thanks.

Turf
05-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Losman will be the #2. They invested to much for him to be a #3 sitting on the bench, unless he totally flops in preseason which I doubt. At some point in the season, people will be screaming to put Losman in.

The_Philster
05-14-2004, 06:17 PM
I've honestly never heard about any incidents where he was a bad character player. :scratch:

STAMPY
05-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1

i rather have jeff blake then jay fiedler or a backup Qb from eagles

juice
05-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by pepperkorn
Blake is a notorius locker room cancer. He'd be too much of a distraction to be worth it. No thanks.

Originally posted by casdhf
Blake makes Keyshawn Johnson land Terrell Owens ook like team players. No thanks.

What did Blake do in the past?

juice
05-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I've honestly never heard about any incidents where he was a bad character player. :scratch:

Ditto. At ECU he was a team player

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-14-2004, 07:21 PM
If Blake comes at a very reasonable price I'm all for it :up:

BigZ
05-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Turf
Losman will be the #2. They invested to much for him to be a #3 sitting on the bench, unless he totally flops in preseason which I doubt. At some point in the season, people will be screaming to put Losman in.

Agreed. If worse comes to worse, we'll bring in someone if DB gets hurt during the season. AVP?

DraftBoy
05-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Im also confused by the cancer comments about Blake. He never raised a fuss in ARZ and helped McCown there. Id take Blake or Kordell for vet min. Losman should be our #3.

Turf
05-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Last year the Bills put Brown on IR, and never brought in another QB. They went with two.
So now you've got Bledsoe, and a first round draft choice(Losman). I guarantee you the third guy is going to come cheap. Vet minimum or a rookie.

Tatonka
05-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by pepperkorn

i think that is crap.. he was upset about losing his job after being hurt in new orleans.. and made a comment about it one time.. just like DREW did.

Originally posted by The_Philster

because there havent been any.

i love would love the move.. sign him to a 3-4 year deal.. let bledsoe ride it out this year.. then next year it is losman.. and blake is the back up.

i think he could deal with the role if he comes into it knowing he is not a start.. and would only be in an injury type situation.

ScottLawrence
05-15-2004, 10:09 AM
I would rather have Blake start then Bledsoe.... but, it would never happen.

elltrain22
05-15-2004, 10:41 AM
First off, Jeff Blake would be a nice and cheap addition to our qb core.

As for him being a "cancer in the locker room", I haven't ever heard anything like that about Blake. Blake has probably gotten that wrap simply b/c he seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Our team needs some old ECU guys anyways...

juice
05-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
First off, Jeff Blake would be a nice and cheap addition to our qb core.

Our team needs some old ECU guys anyways...

Who are you calling OLD.. But you are correct Blake would be a nice addition and a proven Veteran.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-15-2004, 12:19 PM
These stupid reporters don't they ever listen Malarkey has said that we aren't going to bring in anymore QB's we're set!! Here's that article that was on http://billsdaily.com/news/archives/2004/may1.shtml

We also brought in Nathan Chandler a undrafted FA from Iowa and we got Zolman in NFL Europe Malarkey also likes Travis Brown

ParanoidAndroid
05-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Yeah, what happens to Taco Brown if Blake comes in? :D

elltrain22
05-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Who are you calling OLD.. But you are correct Blake would be a nice addition and a proven Veteran.

I meant old as in good ol', if that makes any sense. I wasnt try to say that he is real old or anything.

Marvelous
05-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Would Blake be the first black QB in Buffalo?

I get Blake and Tony Banks confused. But Banks has a cannon for a arm. When he came in for Carr last year i was impressed.

I'm against us spending any money on Blake. imo he brings nothing to the table. Go with Brown.

The_Philster
05-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Sippio
Would Blake be the first black QB in Buffalo?

No...James Harris already holds that distinction
I get Blake and Tony Banks confused. But Banks has a cannon for a arm. When he came in for Carr last year i was impressed.

Blake has a stronger arm, I think

I'm against us spending any money on Blake. imo he brings nothing to the table. Go with Brown.

He brings leadership, experience, and arm strength...all upgrades over Brown.

juice
05-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Harris for Buffalo was the first Black QB in the League if I'm not mistaken.

Blake has a much stronger cannon than Banks and sent a rookie (Bolden) to the Pro Bowl last year.

Blake has "PLAYED" at this level for the last decade, Brown hasn't even proven he belongs in this League as a backup.

If Blake came here and played the biggest problem you might have is a QB controversy between him and DB.

Mr. Cynical
05-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Grab Blake and dump Drew! :D

Dozerdog
05-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Actually, Marlin Briscoe started for the Denver Broncos in 1968

http://www.unoalumni.org/about_us/flashback/archive/41/index.asp

He became an all-pro WR for Buffalo shortly after.

Originally posted by juice
Harris for Buffalo was the first Black QB in the League if I'm not mistaken.

Blake has a much stronger cannon than Banks and sent a rookie (Bolden) to the Pro Bowl last year.

Blake has "PLAYED" at this level for the last decade, Brown hasn't even proven he belongs in this League as a backup.

If Blake came here and played the biggest problem you might have is a QB controversy between him and DB.

ryjam282
05-17-2004, 09:11 AM
He can our backup Huckleberry anytime. I like Blake, just not as any long term solution.

Earthquake Enyart
05-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Briscoe played some QB for the Bills too.

Marlin the Magician.

The Bills had the first all Black backfield: Harris, OJ and Wayne Patrick.

juice
05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Actually, Marlin Briscoe started for the Denver Broncos in 1968

http://www.unoalumni.org/about_us/flashback/archive/41/index.asp

He became an all-pro WR for Buffalo shortly after.

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Briscoe played some QB for the Bills too.

Marlin the Magician.

The Bills had the first all Black backfield: Harris, OJ and Wayne Patrick.

I stand corrected and I'm glad All are a part of Bills History as well as NFL History.

Marlin Briscoe * James Harris * Wayne Patrick * OJ Simpson

jdbillsfan
05-17-2004, 01:13 PM
I don't think we need a backup QB unless Losman ends up looking really bad in training camp.

Bledsoe is fairly durable and if he gets hurt, then I think our #1 pick should be able to be servicable. Kyle Boeller did fine and he was thrown into the starting role right away.

If Losman struggles, then he struggles. Just means he is getting his in game experience a year early and we'll need to hand to Willis and Travis even more.

I think we already have a good back up QB this year in Losman.

juice
05-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Blake would be an insurance policy that could prove to be a season-saving addition...Rushing Losman could hamper his future development, Blakes an insurance policy guarding against injury or struggles.

thefixer74
05-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by juice

I stand corrected and I'm glad All are a part of Bills History as well as NFL History.

Marlin Briscoe * James Harris * Wayne Patrick * OJ Simpson

LOL,even OJ...:couch:

juice
05-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Especially OJ as the Greatest... and Even Wayne Patrick.